Task Manager Processes

I don't know if this is the place to post this question but it is a technical one regarding my task manager processes. There are so many things running and using so much memory and they are all greek to me. My computer has been running funny lately and I took a look at what's going on but don't have a clue as to what it all means and if there is something I can do to minimize all this acitivity.

Are there any tech savvy scrappers out there that can help me?

Thanks, Sue. :banghead:

Sue,

Once I start up my computer I always ctr+alt+delete (view Task Manager) and check the Applications tab to see what programs are running. All those processes take away the "steam" from Photoshop!!! So I just highlight & end or stop the processes I want to stop. My HP Updates are always running & I ALWAYS have to get into the Task Manager to stop it.

You should recognize the programs (in the Task Manager window, Applications tab) that are running, if you don't then some 3rd party "snuck" them in on ya! <_<

HTH!! :bighug:

yes you can stop some applications (programs) from running that you don't need open.

Oh another thing I do to keep things running smoothly is run disk "defragmentation" on your hard drive... that helps and sometimes run "scan disk" with the option to fix any problems it finds

HTH!

You know, I have had the same question lately!! I have 52 processes running most of the time and I only know what a few of them are!!!

DH suggested googling them to find out, but I haven't gotten around to that yet.

Does anyone know of a list of processes that are necessary and those that we can end without serious consequences?

Thanks.

Yanno I use iolo system mechanic 7 to help me with all this it is such a easy little pricey program & it keepas my memory runny just fantasticly(is that a word?) i paid 29 bucks for it & I love this program. it runs silently & does everything automatically.

might want to check it out iolo.com

Caren

You can also go into your Start Folder and remove anything that you don't want running in the background. Many programs when you do a regular install will put something in the start folder. You can usually disable this by choosing custom install and unclicking add to start menu or quick launch menu.

You might want to also go into your installed programs folder and uninstall anything you don't use or don't know what it is. I usually google anything I don't recognise as you can mistakenly delete something you need and you can mess up your computer if you aren't careful.

:thanks: Update on my problem. I don't know what happened but I couldn't get my computer to restart and kept getting an error message. I called Dell support with no help to resolve my issue without having to wipe out everything on my computer which I didn't want to do if I didn't have to. Although I do have carbonite backing up, I just didn't want to go through all that if I didn't have to so I took it in to our local computer shop and see what happens. I was hoping to use my little bonus from work to have more memory installed but now I don't know how much it will cost me to fix the darn thing. It's funny that every time my mother comes home from Florida to visit and uses my computer that something happens to it after she leaves. Maybe just a coincidence.

Thanks for all your input and will put your suggestions to good use when I get my computer back.

Have a great day!!!

Archived