Stroke Outline Glittering

Scooby88

Hi! I have PSE 5. I bought a set of layer styles that are glitter. Can I make the stroke line around my photo look like glitter? When I try to do it, it glitters the whole photo (as in all you see is a red glittery rectangle). Thanks. Janis

I'm not sure how you would do this, what if you made a matt a little bigger than your photo on a different layer and glittered that?

Or you could create a new layer on top, and grunge the edges of the photo then glitter the grungie area.

im working on some brushes that will help you do just this really simply that will go great with any of our glitter styles. :)

oh! and i just thought - if you just want a solid line stroke try this:

select your layer in the layers palette to put the marching ants around your picture.

then create a new layer above that, stroke it (edit>stroke)

then apply your style.

hope that helps!

I recently did this exact thing on a layout and I did what Amanda suggested. If you want it to be on a shape that is different than a simple rectangle, then just select the shape (marching ants), then create new layer. Then I went to modify selection>contract (10 or so pixels) to bring it in a little. Then I went to Edit> Stroke (I think I did about 5 pixels). Then I applied a glitter style. Of course once Amanda comes out with her new style, I'm *all* over that since it will make it a LOT easier! HTH!

Thanks for the great ideas! I didn't think about adding a layer to do this. I'll play around with this tomorrow. I'm looking forward to whoever invents the easier system too. Gotta say, I do love this glitter thing. I'm doing a Times Square layout and I want it to be glitzy.

I have done a lot of "outline glittering" on recent layouts. I do exactly what was suggested above.

I make a new layer, usually below the item.

I select the area ouside of the item I want to glitter with the magic wand and then invert the selection. Then I modify the selection to expand it 5, 10, or 15 depending on the look I am going for.

I make the new layer active by clicking on it. At this point you can put a stroke around the selection or simply fill in the selected area. If I want to put a drop shadow on the item above the glitter then I fill in the selection and then apply the glitter style.

I love glitter styles!

I have done a lot of "outline glittering" on recent layouts. I do exactly what was suggested above.

I make a new layer, usually below the item.

I select the area ouside of the item I want to glitter with the magic wand and then invert the selection. Then I modify the selection to expand it 5, 10, or 15 depending on the look I am going for.

I make the new layer active by clicking on it. At this point you can put a stroke around the selection or simply fill in the selected area. If I want to put a drop shadow on the item above the glitter then I fill in the selection and then apply the glitter style.

I love glitter styles!

Help! How do I get rid of the regular stroke line I used around the photo to start with? I'm not quite clear on the layer thing. Here's what I did. Someone please correct me if necessary. I duplicated the photo layer. I called it photo glitter. I moved onto the new glitter layer and ended up dragging out the photo to make it bigger. I couldn't find where to modify it by 5 or 10. Then I turned this picture (on the new layer) to completely cover it in glitter. This puts a glitter outline behind my original photo. I'm close but not quite there. Appreciate all the help. Janis

I do this, but not exactly the way mentioned above. I like to add styles to my strokes, not just glitter ones-- you can get a lot of really neat looks this way. I use Photoshop CS2, but I think you can do it the same way. I create a new layer just above the layer I want to stroke. Then with the new layer selected, Click on the "square" in the layers palette of the item you want to stroke. This should put marching ants where you want your stroke. Then do Edit>Stroke and your stroke will be on a new layer. (You will want to link the layers so they move together.) Then when you add styles, or even decide you don't want a stroke anymore, it is easy to change. I make frames this way all the time.

[Help! How do I get rid of the regular stroke line I used around the photo to start with?

Janis, if you have put a stroke around a photo and saved/closed the layout you probably have only two choices. (However, I am sure that others will have suggestions.)

You could delete the layer with the photo and bring the photo back in to your layout without the stroke. Or you could use the selection tool to select the area of the photo inside the stroke, invert the selection, and then delete the inverted selection and with it the stroke.

Archived