Pse4 Keeps Shutting Down

Alethea

Sanity is important to me so here I am. I am currently working on my second ever digital page and almost every time I go to save the page the program closes down on me. The first time it happened I had done a lot of work to the page. Now I have to save after each action I apply to the page. I don't know about you guys, but saving a LO takes a bit of time. I just installed SS_papertear today, could that have something to do with it? Any advice would help!

How much RAM do you have on your machine? PSE is a RAM hog, I needed to get 2 GB to get it to perform at a decent level.

I think I have 512 MB. Does that sound right? I'm sure its enough. I recently bought a laptop Mac (before I realized I was going to be a Scrapgirl, of course). It makes sense now. My computer can't remember squat. Bad part is...its a laptop! They're not so easy (or cost effective) to upgrade memory. If this is truly the case, I better start looking into a new computer. Wow! I guess this new hobby is going to be expensive. Hee! Hee!

I have 512 MB on my desktop that I first started scrapping on. PSE 5 was VERY slow on it. When I got my new laptop in April, I knew I'd need to max out my RAM in order to be happy with the performance, particularly in PSE 5 (and because it had Vista too). I'd look into getting more memory installed before getting an entirely new computer! Good luck!

Do you have the paper tear actions?

Mine has been doing this a lot lately... I have a Mac, and I have never had this problem with ANY other program! It only does this for me when I try to save a LO, or use one of the actions... hummm... makes me wonder...

I've had Photoshop 7 and CS2 do a similar thing, though not when I saved. Sometimes when I clicked on another window in PS, sometimes when I was closing a paper I was done with. Actually never had it happen when I was saving. It is frustrating when you haven't saved for a little while. For me the whole program just "poof" closes with no warning. Fortunately it doesn't happen very often, but it has happened on three different computers. Lots of memory too.... I just figured it was a funky bug in Photoshop.

its a laptop! They're not so easy (or cost effective) to upgrade memory. If this is truly the case, I better start looking into a new computer.

It's often cheaper to add RAM than it is to get a new Mac! There are places online that will purchase your old RAM. How much can your machine handle?

Regarding taking a lot of time saving the file... how much open space do you have on your hard drive? With the last Mac laptop I had, slow file saving was my cue to clean out my hard drive 'cause it was getting almost full.

I'm not familiar with PSE, but using Photoshop, some things I found out:

If you're working with layers, merging some of them will seriously cut down on your file size, and thus on the amount of RAM the program needs.

If you're working with templates: if you drag a paper to a template shape and then use the template shape as a mask, depending on how you do it, the entire 12x12 sheet of paper may be saved in the file. You can usually figure out if it's doing that by hiding the template layer. If you suddenly see the whole 12x12 sheet, select a smaller area of it and delete the rest. Again, this cuts down your file size and thus the RAM you need.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and advice. I called Apple (because I do have a Mac) and they told me I can add RAM to my laptop. It was $150 per G, so I ordered two. This seemed more reasonable than ordering a new computer. In a few days I will know if the problem was RAM or not. I sure hope it's not a bug with PSE4. Does anyone know when they are going to release a newer version for the Mac?

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and advice. I called Apple (because I do have a Mac) and they told me I can add RAM to my laptop. It was $150 per G, so I ordered two. This seemed more reasonable than ordering a new computer. In a few days I will know if the problem was RAM or not. I sure hope it's not a bug with PSE4. Does anyone know when they are going to release a newer version for the Mac?

They just released pse6 for mac so you are in good luck here I just read it on the internet

I had this problem with elements before Christmas. It started right after I updated OSX. I run 10.4.11. A week or so ago a new update was released and guess what - no more problems with elements. Have you done an update recently that could cause it? I would make sure all your updates are current.

They just released pse6 for mac so you are in good luck here I just read it on the internet

Thanks for the heads up Caren. I just visited the Adobe web site and they are predicting a release of PSE6 for Mac at the end of March. I can't decide whether to go for it or not. I may wait to hear some feedback from some of you...anyone feel like being a guinea pig??

• 2 months later...

Hello, I didn't read all of the comments, but I wanted to ask you if you have an Intel based Mac or a PowerPC based Mac. If you have an Intel based mac (like me) then PSE4 was not designed to work on your Mac, except that it will work (not as effectively) with a built in background program in Intel Macs called Rosetta. It kind of translates the incompatible program so the Intel chip will work with it. I have PSE4 and it does shut down on me quite a bit, but now Adobe has come out with the newer version which will run on an Intel based Mac "natively" (as it is meant to be) you can get it as a downloaded upgrade from Adobe's website for $69. If you don't have an Intel based Mac, then I am not sure why it is shutting down! Hope that helps.

Erin

I have an intel based mac, but I think most of my problem was an ID-10-T problem, I did not install some of my actions properly, so when I would go to use them PSE didn't like it... crash...

I deleted the ones I originally installed and reinstalled them correctly and I have only had it crash once since then... I think it was a RAM issue that time I had like 10 programs running and PSE using like 80% of my RAM... bad idea!

• 2 months later...
I have an intel based mac, but I think most of my problem was an ID-10-T problem, I did not install some of my actions properly, so when I would go to use them PSE didn't like it... crash...

I deleted the ones I originally installed and reinstalled them correctly and I have only had it crash once since then... I think it was a RAM issue that time I had like 10 programs running and PSE using like 80% of my RAM... bad idea!

Kelly,

I also have an intel based MacBook, and I've been having a terrible time with PSE4 shutting down, mostly when I try to save. I don't think I've installed any actions (I guess I haven't since I'm not sure what they are) lately, but I have noticed that the problem was worse since I installed a new version of onOne Essentials, and it's become even worse lately, after installing some completely unrelated programs on my computer. I was afraid it was because my hard drive is filling up. I was so frustrated yesterday that I set out to see if there was a solution.

What I found is that it's apparently true that the best solution is to install PSE6, and probably Leopard rather than Tiger.

However, for those not ready to make the leap to PSE6 (I'm worried that my 'old' eyes may have problems with the dark interface), here is another solution which I found. I tried it last night, and PSE4 has not shut down on me once since I did this:

Go to Disk Utilities, go to 'hard drive' and click on Repair Permissions. It's that simple!

This info was from Joyful Janet on Scrappers Guide, and she said you should do this both before and after adding any new software. Since I had never done this before, I'm not surprised that it helped!

Hope this will be helpful to someone else - I believe I will be able to retain my sanity now!

: )

Anita

Archived