Help With Templates

viperwife

Hi all - I have PSE 5.0 and I'm using the Album Series templates. I watched Ro's tutorial about using templates and I think I have most of the idea. But there are 2 questions that keep popping up for me (and it's hard for me to articulate so bear with me if I go on & on trying to explain myself!)

1. Each template has a preview file that is the entire layout - the papers, photos, etc, without anything filled in. Just lots of black & grays. So I've figured out how to open each individual template in the file (ie a ribbon or photo mat) and create a clipping mask (yay me!). But now that I have all these individual pieces how do they snap back to where they're supposed to be in the LO? It seems like I'm just moving them around and I would think there would be a way to keep it all together in the exact spots where they were originally designed to be.

2. Second question: proportionality. Sometimes when I move things around they don't stay the same size, so in other words if I created a page border that was 12x12 on the original document and then move it over to my LO it gets huge and goes way outside the 12x12 boundry. When I check the image size it still says 12x12 so I don't know what else I need to be checking.

Help! (and thanks in advance!)

I hope I am understanding you.....the older templates in the boutique need to be put together by you. yes you do need to open the preview one that is already made and use it as a guide. The nice thing is that you can change it up if you want to you do not need to copy it exactly if you do not want to. The newer templates in the boutique come with the layout template already made for you. It is a PS file and saves time so you do not need to take that time, but they also offer the unmade files too. I love having the premade files. WHat I did was I would assemble the file into the template then I would save it right back in that file and call it premade....whatever it was called. "premade baby template or whatever"

If you move files by stretching them it can distort the size, it took me some time to get this down but just practice moving things around for a while and when you do move it click on the item not on the corners where it will stretch it out of shape. I hope I helped you some.

Hmm... I don't have PSE, so excuse my ignorance there, but the only two possibilities I can think of for how a 12 x 12 page border would change size is that you're either [a] resizing it by grabbing one of the corners and pulling rather than clicking and moving or the DPIs on your two documents are different. If the DPI on your orig document is 300 dpi, but the one you're dragging it into is less than that, then a 12 x 12 border would be larger than your entire second document.

HTH!

Linda - the information about older templates is *definitely* good to know. Was not aware of that. How do you know older versions from newer? Because it has a PS file?

And LeeAndra - I'm going to look into that suggestion of different dpi settings. When I say the object is bigger it's not a result of me resizing it (ie grabbing the corner and going in or out). I'm clicking on the object to move it over to a different layer and after doing that it's usually huge and completely outside the borders of my page. But maybe the dpi thing is off - is there a way to control all dpi settings to automatically 300?

One thing you can do to check the size is go to Image>Resize>Image Size (I think that's right for PSE - it's at least close and you should be able to find it.) The in Resolution (I think it's either the bottom box or close to it) it should say 300 dpi. 300 dpi is optimal for printing your images and is what all of the supplies you will find on SG are made at. 72 dpi is usually what you will resize for uploading to the web. It's good for viewing on the computer but not for printing. So ... if you start out at 72 dpi when you bring over something made at 300 dpi it will be huge over your existing canvas. When you start a new project make sure that the resolution is 300 dpi and you should be in good shape.

Another good thing to know is when moving a template piece over to your document hold the shift key down. If you are moving from a 12x12 template to a 12x12 document (the key is that they are the same size) and hold the shift key everything will all line up the way it is intended to.

HTH!

A good place to get other help is the online university. When you move things to the LO, if you hold down the shilft key while dragging it and then let it go when its over the LO it should land right where it belongs. I think you can adjust items to size if your resize it before hand. I'm not to sure of that one. Another thing is in the layers palette it should show you the order of the layers. Shari has it right about the whole issue .. HTH

IT WORKED! I'm so excited - now I see what all the fuss about templates is about! The shift key is the way to go - it keeps everything proportional *and* placed the different elements in the proper place in my LO in relation to the other pieces. I'm a convert . . .

Thanks to all for your help!!

Archived