Regular Vs Slr Camera

Willow

Right now I have a Canon Powershot SD700. At some point I would like to upgrade to a digital SLR, but I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice. I'm not sure what skills I should master with a regular digital camera before I'm ready for an SLR. I'm not even entirely sure what functions they both share. Are there technical things that I should practice with before upgrading, or are the "artistic" skills (like composition) what I should focus on first?

Thanks ^^

I wish I had something very teacher-ly and professional-sounding to tell you, but all I have is my own personal experience. :P

I own and use a Canon 20D and, honestly, most of the time it doesn't make it out of automatic mode! I know, I know... tsk tsk on me... etc etc., but there's a significant difference, even, just between auto mode on an SLR and auto/manual on a 'purse camera'. Even my boyfriend, who in the nicest sense of the word is technologically challenged, looks at the pics I take on my SLR and says, 'Wow. You can really tell a difference that these were taken with a nice camera, can't you?' Putting pics side-by-side from my 'purse camera' (a point 'n' shoot Canon) and the 20D is striking, I think.

As for practicing, the two things I work at most are framing and lines, and I like to think it's improved my photography.

By framing, I mean that I am careful how I frame the subject of my photo within my viewfinder. I try to either take up the whole frame with the subject, especially when it comes to faces, OR I will frame a subject, like a landscape, and not directly center it. There's that thirds rule all photogs talk abt, and while I'm not militant abt it, I will try to put my subject on one of those thirds lines if I can. The same goes when you take sunset/sunrise/ocean pictures by either taking 1/3 sky and 2/3 ocean/land or the reverse. The 'worst' thing you can do in a pro photog's eyes is dead center your subject in the viewfinder with plenty of 'dead' space around the subject and the horizon exactly cutting your photo into the top half and bottom half.

By lines, I mean I try to see the 'lines' in things i.e. a long row of trees planted on a street or the way a fountain's water flows out and over other pieces of the fountain. I don't think I explained that superclearly, but in essence, I'm just looking for patterns in the way things are around me and how to best use those patterns to enhance my photos by emphasizing the subject. If I was taking a picture of the aforementioned line of trees, for instance, I would move to the left or right so the line would cut diagonally across my photo rather than placing the first tree dead center of my photo and missing the rest of the trees completely. It would be even more interesting if I placed another object or person after the third or fourth tree in the row so it would be as if they were 'pointing' towards the subject.

HTH!

LeeAndra <><

LeeAndra,

What an informative post! I have a the same camera as Willow and have thought about upgrading...someday, but haven't been all that serious about it. After reading your comments, I think that someday is today! You've really turned on my "wanter."

Lots of good examples. Thanks so much for the tutorial.

Great post LeeAndra!

I would say you might practice getting out of your Auto mode and learning what your current camera can do. That will help you get used to trying things so you will be more likely to try new things with the new camera.

I don't think we will ever get "ready" to upgrade to a DSLR!

I think you just have to do it - and then start learning how to use it!

I've had SLR's since the 80's and DSLR's the last 5 years, and I'm still learning new things every time I use them!

But on the other hand, I get better with my point-and-shoot's too with every passing day and always carry one of those in my purse...

I still have, and occasionally use, every camera I have ever bought (except a Rebel XTi that DH sold to get me my Canon 40D) including all my 135mm's and APS's...

Archived