Adding Your Own "signature" ?

scrappinchar

I wonder if it is some sort of setting on your computer Charlene, they dont look like there is anything blue around any of the siggies for me.

That is really strange, Charlene. I don't know what to suggest. Hopefully someone more computer savvy than me will have some ideas for you.

Maybe you have an extra power, like the bionic woman. You can see transparent png backgrounds! LOL!

Oh, here's a question - take a png file, an embellishment or something, and try just uploading it to your gallery by itself. Do you see a faint blue box around it? I'm really puzzled and curious about this now!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now...that is just here on the site.

In my software, when doing layouts and such, things do have a transparent background.

Just not here for the siggys.

lol

The reason why png files show up with a grey or light blue background is that older browsers haven't been updated to read png transparency. If you upgrade your browser to the newest version of IE or Firefox then pngs with transparency should display fine. For that reason I save my internet picture files as a gif or jpg. Even though png is a great image type, many people still haven't upgraded their browsers so you never know if they'll see your image on the web as you intended unless you save it as a gif or jpg.

The only problem with using the gif file type is that they don't have semi-transparent pixels like pngs. The pixels are either totally opaque or totally transparent. So it blends any semi-transparent pixels with a color to make an opaque pixel. So if you use a shadow you need to use a background behind your transparent image or choose a blending color that matches the location you plan to display the image. For the SG mb the bg color is #ece2a9.

Another advantage to gif files is that you can make them animated (like adding glitter or sparkles). I'm working on a tutorial, but my schedule has gotten much busier since I first mentioned the sparkle tutorial I'm writing. I wrote a glitter tutorial a long time ago using Paint Shop Pro version 8 that you can check out here. I created the tutorial for fun a long time ago, and haven't reviewed it in awhile, but if I remember correctly it does provide a good explanation of how to animate a simple graphic.

Hopefully I'll be done with the sparkle tutorial soon, but in the mean time, try saving your file as a gif, and you should be able to see the transparency. To do that in PS CS3 choose File > Save For Web and Devices then in the dialog box on the top right choose gif as the file type and experiment with the settings. It provides lots of options, but it allows you to create versatile web graphics.

hth :)

Wendee...I use Bellsouth...Internet Explorer. Do I need to ask them (Bellsouth?) for an upgrade or something?

All this browser talk is a bit over my head. lol

I'm not sure what BellSouth is. I'm assuming they're your ISP, but as far as I know if you have internet access you can use any browser to view the internet. I currently use Firefox and love it. It has some great add ons that I like. It's free for download here if you want it.

btw I edited my previous post to include a link to a tut I wrote awhile ago.

Oh wow...I just installed the Firefox browser.

You all look FABULOUS! lol

Now your siggys are "floating" above the creamish/yellowish message board with no blue rectangle!

:dancing-smilie:

Guess I can redo mine now....with the transparent background!

Thanks gals!

Yea, I changed it to the chocolate one because of the "chocolate poll" thread. lol I made the siggy with the chocolate kiss awhile ago, but like switching them up a bit. I made a really fun St. Patricks Day sig this week that I can hardly wait to use, but I thought I'd wait until March 1st. Who knows maybe I'll change it before that, but we'll see.

ttfn :)

Carol...you have to have your siggy photo on the web somewhere so that you can insert the link to it in your signature. Then it will show up as a picture. I posted mine here in the gallery then linked to it. Some people use other photo storage places like photobucket. But I don't know what that even is. I don't know if that's the NAME of the site they use or a description of the type of site they use.

Well, I've uploaded one lo and now I'll try to create a siggy. I guess that you start out in PSE5 or someother scrap software and create a signature just as you would a lo. Is that correct? I'm still new to PSE5, and have a long way to go in figuring it all out. But I'll get there. Patience, which is not one of my virtues.......

Yes play around and make one in PSE. Do make sure that the background is transparent around the name or square box or whatever you want your siggy to be and then save it as a psd file. If you save it as a jpg then a white box will show up behind it. PSD makes it blend in to the original color background on the forum.

Wahooooooo! I did it. Added a new siggy. Not what I really had in mind, but until I think of another one, this will do. What do you think???? :breakdance:

Looks great Carol.

:toot:

Personally...I like to put them as the first thing in your siggy, so right after reading a comment you leave...it's the first thing someone sees. Then the blinkies. Not that you asked that....just throwing in more of my two cents. lol

Archived