Photo Editing Software

nuzzmark

Hi,
I was just wondering which photo editing software you think is the easiest & best. For instance, Adobe Photoshop Elements 3, Digital Image Pro 9, Microsoft Picture It! or any others. This is just for my own pictures for scrapbooking or to send via e-mail.
Thanks,
Clara

Hi Clara,
I'm sure you will get many opinions on this one. I am a photoshop gal so I'd suggest PSE 3. BUT, you will probably get a hands up for either of the others. There was another post recently for someone using Picture It. You might want to browse around the boards as I know we touched on this topic before...
Oh and WELCOME! ;)

Can I put in a good word for PSP? I've been using PSP for years and love it. Just recently I got PS CS2. I know this will sound biased, but PSP is much easier than PS. Things that take one or two steps to do in PSP take 4 or 5 to do in PS.

Also everything can be done in PSP with mouse clicks, it's all point and click type stuff, while PS requires mouse and keyboard. For instance, in PSP, you pick/use foreground and background colors simply by which mouse button you click. In PS, you pick one color with a mouse click, but the other has to be picked by a key on the keyboard. Having to remember which key or key combination does what in PS really slows me down...point and click is so much faster. And you can customize PSP's button bars and put what you use most right there along the top which makes pointing/clicking super fast. I'm going nuts in PS having to go through multiple fly out menu's to find what I need.

PS was originally made for professionals while PSP was for the average man, and I think that's what made it so easy. And fwiw, I haven't found a single thing that PS does that PSP can't do, so no loss of features to get ease of use.
Lori

You said a key word... Easy. If you want something simple to use and learn but with lots of options as you get more experience.... Digital Image Pro is a great program. It's a microsoft product so everything is pretty easy to figure out just by clicking around. I just gave version 9 to my sister and she has never had any background with making pages of any kind, and she is up and running making digital scrapbook pages! She loves it (and I got it for 14$ on ebay new!) I have version 10 suite with the Library feature. I would recommend some sort of library whatever you get because when you start collecting all of the "stuff" for digital Scrapbooking (backgrounds, elements etc.) you really need a way to find it all. Hope that helps!

Guest BonnyJean
I've only really used Picture It because its inexpensive and easy! I do have PSE now that I'm trying tolearn for scrapbooking,but I still find myself mostly using Picture It! good luck deciding!

Guest wings
I use Photoshop Elements 3.0 and I've come to love it, although I didn't at first. (I started out with PhotoImpact, which I also like.)

I spent many years testing software (I was a beta and even alpha tester for a product that was the main competitor to Adobe's FrameMaker software), and also writing software manuals from scratch by learning to use the software myself. From that viewpoint, I have to say that PSE 3.0 is not an intuitive, easy-to-learn program. However, once you DO learn how to use it, it's very powerful. Now that I'm comfortable with it, I'm very happy with it.

There's my 2 cents!

Hi!
Thank you all so much for your inputs. It would be great if all these programs, ie Digital Image Suite, PSP, etc. had a free trial version. Then, you could decide a little better which one was right for you. I know Abobe Photoshop Album starter 2.0 has a free version, but you really can't do everything with it.
I'll look into all of them before making a decision.
Again, thanks! :bighug:
Clara

I've been using Microsoft Piture It for years and I love it for it's simplicity of use. It is also capapble of doing more involved things like creating your own papers and elements--you just have to start using it and experiment.

• 1 month later...
[quote name='nuzzmark' date='Jul 31 2005, 07:23 PM']Hi,
I was just wondering which photo editing software you think is the easiest & best.  For instance, Adobe Photoshop Elements 3, Digital Image Pro 9, Microsoft Picture It! or any others.  This is just for my own pictures for scrapbooking or to send via e-mail.
Thanks,
Clara
[right][post="21905"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Digital Image Suite 10 is very simple but you may get bored with it quick. Right now I'm loving the new Paint Shop Pro X. It's similar to Photoshop Elements 3 with all of PSP's extras. It's available for a limited 30 day trial on the Corel website. I'm finding it quite simple to use but it's not as beginner as Digital Image Suite. Try all the trials avail to you and then decide. Good Luck!

• 1 month later...
[quote]Thank you all so much for your inputs. It would be great if all these programs, ie Digital Image Suite, PSP, etc. had a free trial version.[/quote]

Microsoft Digital Image does have a free 60 day trial, here's the link:[url="http://www.microsoft.com/products/imaging/starteredition.mspx"]Microsoft Digital Image[/url]

Archived