Playing With My New Digital Rebel Xt

Guest talina

Guest talina
Okay, I was playing around two weeks ago in New Orleans with my new Digital Rebel XT. I figured out what to do, but not WHY I am doing it...DRIVES ME NUTS!!

So, first pic is where I focused on the sticks (foreground)...Second pic I focused on the trees (background). I don't recall my settings. Sorry...

[attachment=642:attachment]

[attachment=643:attachment]

Guest talina
Laura...Are you a newbie at photography or not? I am definitely a newbie...I have only had point and shoot cameras...NEVER a camera like this! I am excited and having a lot of fun experimenting.

Do you have any sites or tutorials that you have found and recommend?

Guest Laura_A
Definitely a newbie too Talina. I found [url="http://www.photoworkshop.com/canon/index.html"][color="blue"]this[/color][/url] great site by Canon. It's full of tutorials for the dRebel and other Canon cameras. I'm still learning but have tons of fun in the process!

I'm such a newbie at photography also, but i'm having fun playing. Here are a couple of sites that i've seen and have some usefull information on.

[url="http://www.morguefile.com/archive/classroom.php"]MorgueFile[/url] this one has an 8 week free class on it's site. Some of the information might be kind of basic, it just depends on what level of photography your on

[url="http://ilp.tlcwe.com/forums/index.php"]ILovePhotography[/url]? this one is dedicated to childrens photography and to get all the bells and whistles of the site you have to be a pay member...but there are some links on the side that are helpful with lighting and the part of the forum that you get access to alot of people leave CC for photos posted that you might be able to pick up some pointers from.

Guest talina
I took some pictures on Friday of the boys at my MIL's...They love playing in the creek...I have edited the first one...desaturating and then adding the sepia filter in Photoshop CS2...

First, here is Jacob...Look at the hairs on his head...the detail {wow}...
[attachment=669:attachment]

Now, Aaron...I LOVE this one!!! Down to the ripple in the creek...
[attachment=670:attachment]

• 4 months later...
I also have a rebel and love it. I always used point and shoot but I like using the larger zoom lenses. Taking it off autofocus is an adventure.

There are also alot of good books out there and I recommend a cheatsheet for the rebel xt. I got mine at B&H photo& video - they have a great internet site and the cheatsheet is excellent (its laminated too).

Some accessories I got was a battery grip (so I have 2 batteries going at all times and it allows me to take pictures in portrait; I did not get the kit lens after reading several posts - I got the 28-135mm USM stablizer canon lens and a general filter kit. For Christmas I got the 580-EX flash (it is wonderful).

Now I am eyeing a bigger zoom - like 200mm and a 4G card. 2G does not last enough when shooting in RAW.

Lastly, I absolutely love my other two Christmas presents: "How to Wow: Photoshop for Photography" and Adobe Photoshop CS2 One-Click Wow". THESE BOOKS WITH THE INCLUDED SOFTWARE ARE A MUST!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived