Organizing Everything?

LeenieLou

I'm using Windows Vista and PSE 5. I guess i don't understand tagging.

Does that make it quicker to view the thumbnail pictures of the products I've purchased? I have quite a few now and I find it difficult to keep clicking to get to the thumbnail of the things I purchased.

Sally

Very helpful info here! I'm glad you found a system that works for you Eileen!

I organize similar to everyone else but I do rename files a lot. I don't change the essential info but I will change the designer's initials to full name because it's easier for me that way--but my files usually have really long names lol.

This is my folder structure (I'm using Windows Vista by the way)

0_Scrapbooking

-0_Downloads (all my new downloads go here and I unzip to the permanent home later)

-Digital Scrapbook Place

--separate folders for each kit (I don't have as much from their site so for now this works)

-ScrapGirls

--Freebies (just a catch all drawer for freebies--may organize more later but for now this works)

--Kits

---ex. Avalon Collection by Valerie Randall

--ScrapSimple

---Layer-Assemble Your Own

---Word Art

---Brush sets

---Embellishment templates

---Paper templates

---Tools,Actions and Styles

-Scrap Blog Freebies (so named because I usually find them by blog)

right now this folder is mostly full of templates and I have like one kit lol

I really like the way SG's system of organizing the boutique can pretty much work for your own file structure. I then use ACDSee to tag everything (I'm way behind on that though).

• 2 months later...
Hi all. I'm just starting out in this digital scrapbooking world, and have begun my travels by obtaining as many quality freebies as I can find out there. (Once I prove to myself that I actually do this scrapbooking thing on a regular basis, I'll definitely start buying up all the stuff I have on my 'saw-it-and-want-it' list. I just want to get going first).

I have read Ro's organizing tips, and they seem really good, and something that I'd like to duplicate.

But I have a question to anyone who may have stuff other than ScrapGirls stuff (along with all the wonderful stuff from ScrapGirls that you do have, of course). How do you organize it ALL. Do you combine everything into the individual folders, or do you have a separate structure for each site? I'm trying to figure out what I think would work best. I'm thinking that it might be nice to combine EVERYTHING. It may mean a lot of renaming, but I think it might be worth it in the long run.

So, I guess I'm just looking for examples on how you deal with everything. Any special naming conventions for items? What about copyright/tou notices?

Thanks in advance for sharing.

I use my own interpretation of Ro's organizing tips, but I make sure that every files has the artist initials, like the SG files (I have a Word file with de initials and names of every designer and their web sites), so I know what belongs to whom (Is that grammatically correct?) :unsure:

WOW! Thanks for someone bumping this to the top!

I finally read AND UNDERSTOOD the shortcut file method! GOOD TIMING,

as i had finally decided to "merge" the kits with the non-kit stash. NOW,

however, I think I will just add a shortcut to the kit links so I can "see what

I already have" that works or can be adjusted to work!

How very NEAT! THANK YOU!!!!

Guest babydoll37

Ok I also have Windows Vista and PSE 6 but I don't know how to organize my stuff so I can tag it. I have it all named like RO says but how do I get it that way in PSE 6 I am very confused. On my computer it is all labeled like RO says to but I can't tag it there so what do I do? PLEASE someone help me in detail of how to do it.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow! This whole thread has been wonderful... I have lots of great ideas for how I want to organize all my supplies. I am new to this, just started a few days ago and so far I have kept all my supplies organized by collection/kit. I did pick up freebies and a few things at other scrapbooking sites early on, but I have separate folders for those, not to be confused with my wonderful world of Scrapgirls!! I am using bridge and had not even thought about tagging for easier searching... kewl beans!! Thanks! :clapping_kitty:

Archived