Need Scanner Recommendation

DeaBrok

As I am suddenly having to purchase a new desktop computer, I am suddenly also having to purchase a new scanner. I couldn't get the specs I wanted on the desktop unless I selected Vista and my scanner won't work with Vista. (I suppose I could format and load XP....)

My current scanner is an HP 5370C which I love because it can scan negatives and transparancies up to 5 x 5.

My great-grandfather was a professional photographer. I have stacks of negatives from 1900 and on. The negatives are in all sizes and a few are in strange shapes. The 5 x 5 adapter on the HP was perfect for this but HP no longer makes a scanner with this sort of transparency adapter.

I know that Ro has the Epson Perfection V350 Photo. I was looking at that or the Epson Perfection 4490 Photo. However neither of them (it appears) will scan the larger negatives.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Yep. The first thing I did was check for Vista drivers for all my scanners and printers. When I checked HP for the ScanJet 5370C the website said:

"We are sorry to inform you that there will be no Windows Vista support available for your HP product. Therefore your product will not work with Windows Vista. If you are using the Windows Vista operating system on your computer, please consider upgrading to a newer HP product that is supported on Windows Vista. HP has numerous products on the market that support Windows Vista."

The HP site displays the same message for my little HP PhotoSmart slide/negative scanner as well.

I find it interesting that HP is not developing Vistadrivers for these scanners. Even more interesting is that the lack of drivers is almost a marketing tool as you are directed to purchase a newer HP product.

Maybe I am being too cynical as I have had a bad week. :D

Our HP scanner which I can get to do the large negatives and transparencies as well didn't work right with Vista either. Fortunately my husband custom built XP machines, as I have thousands of my grandparents negatives to scan. We also put XP on our new laptop that came with Vista. It is so much faster now. I know, were stubborn. :D

Funny that your scanner doesn't' have to be that old to not work with Vista.

My multifunction printer didn't work well with Vista either and it was a HP to. So I gave that one to my daughter as she didn't have a printer for her computer that is XP. So she is happy. For Xmas my guy got me on sale a HP Photosmart C6180 All in One, and it is just great with Vista, and the things I can do. The print out on the photo paper for my LO's are just fantastic! I think that the C6180 is a dicontinued line but I think that the next one that take its place is the 7280. Hope that is of some help to you.

Janene

Archived