Decided To Invest!

TallCool69

Before I went all digital, I photographed both 135mm and APS (IX 240-film).

I've got loads of gorgeous travel-pics on APS... The last years before I switched "for ever", I had a Canon APS SLR.

Recently I've looked into having all of them transferred to discs/digital, but have found that it would set me back more than a little!

Every place that I've found, will charge you by the pic, not by the roll. And most of my APS-rolls have 40 pics each. I have about 300 rolls...

And they will charge a start up-fee on every roll, and a fee for every disc burned...

Every pic will cost more to have digitalized than to have printed!!! :disappearing-smilie:

Now I've decided to invest all that money and buy myself a negative/slide-scanner with an adapter for my APS-films.

It will set me back about the same amount of money that I would have had to pay somebody to do it, but this way I can scan old negatives and help my family and friends digitally store their old stuff!

I didn't have much to choose from since I wanted the APS-compatibility, but Nikon had a couple of models and I chose the cheapest (that wasn't very cheap at all).

But now it's on order and I can't wait!

:breakdance:

I have been thinking of doing the same thing. I have tons of pics and my mom has tons of slides. I keep looking at both options.

Please let me know how it turns out. My concern was not getting decent quality of my neg. scans and then not being able to use them in my scrapbooking, I have been looking at buying one but like you said they are pricey.

Can't wait to hear.

Thess, I'd also be interested to hear how it comes out. I have a negative scanner on my scanner and have used it a couple of times, but didn't like the quality at all (I have an HP run-of-the-mill scanner, so nothing as flash as you're getting). So ended up just putting everything on a back burner and one day I'll just scan in the photos! Which by the way number in the thousands, so that's much later on down the track!!

Good luck and really am interested for you to receive your new toy! Wahoo! New things - I'm envious!!

Ditto for me on knowing how it comes out! My MIL has THOUSANDS of slides and photos as well as unprinted rolls of film that we are hoping to digitize, so this has come up more than one in converstion at our house. Great to know that the product is out there that can do this! We figured we would have to take them all somewhere- it would probably SAVE us money this way ;)

I've had one for years Thess and I love it! We have the Nikon 4000E. It was pretty spendy, (back in 2002 I think) but it has paid for itself. I've scanned so many of my parents' slides- just having them printed would have cost half the price of the machine.

I used it when I was still paper scrapping and scanned the negatives in chronological order a years worth at a time. It is dull work. Bob likes to scan while he's watching football. :D I've even read a book while scanning. Maybe the newer ones are faster, but I when you're scanning a whole strip, you have a little time on your hands. Not enough time to do anything really useful though.

Our flatbed scanner does negatives too, but the Nikon really does a better job. When I first got it and was having my photos printed at a local photo place, a girl who worked there said that was what they'd used at her last photo printing job. I still have to use the flatbed scanner to do the really big negatives from the 30's and 40's) I have from my grandparents.

I've had one for years Thess and I love it! We have the Nikon 4000E. It was pretty spendy, (back in 2002 I think) but it has paid for itself. I've scanned so many of my parents' slides- just having them printed would have cost half the price of the machine.

I used it when I was still paper scrapping and scanned the negatives in chronological order a years worth at a time. It is dull work. Bob likes to scan while he's watching football. :D I've even read a book while scanning. Maybe the newer ones are faster, but I when you're scanning a whole strip, you have a little time on your hands. Not enough time to do anything really useful though.

Our flatbed scanner does negatives too, but the Nikon really does a better job. When I first got it and was having my photos printed at a local photo place, a girl who worked there said that was what they'd used at her last photo printing job. I still have to use the flatbed scanner to do the really big negatives from the 30's and 40's) I have from my grandparents.

Thanks April!

It looks like I've made the right decision based on what you're saying!

I had my mother's and my mother-in-law's all negatives in mind too, so I guess I'll have my work cut out!

The scanner and the APS-adapter comes to almost $1,000 (!), but 25% of that is swedish sales tax, and since we have a company, I can deduct it...

But it's still quite pricey...

Now I really can't wait for it to arrive!

April, I am curious... is scanning the negatives a better quality then scanning a print? Several years ago when I had gotten an epson scanner it came with a negative adapter & I didn't like the quality at all. Now I have a new epson which is much higher quality & I am curious which would be better. I have a whole project ahead of me to scan my son's photos & wondering if I should scan negatives instead. Look forward to your reply.

Thanks everyone this was a great thread. Great job Thess! Enjoy! :tinkerbell:

• 5 months later...

Since it has been a half of year since Thess bought and used her new scanner--I was wondering how it is working out for her. Does anyone else have any insights into a great scanner which also does a wonderful job on slides? Thank you in advance.

Susan

April, I am curious... is scanning the negatives a better quality then scanning a print? Several years ago when I had gotten an epson scanner it came with a negative adapter & I didn't like the quality at all. Now I have a new epson which is much higher quality & I am curious which would be better. I have a whole project ahead of me to scan my son's photos & wondering if I should scan negatives instead. Look forward to your reply.

Thanks everyone this was a great thread. Great job Thess! Enjoy! :tinkerbell:

Sorry I didn't see this last February. It really depends on your prints. If they have any texture at all, it shows up as little white dots on the scan. With the negative scanner, you have to be careful with how you adjust the settings (digital ice, color correction, etc) because if you over-correct them you will lose quality. Honestly, I use my flatbed scanner for some prints and the larger (1920's-1950's) negatives, adn the Nikon for 35mm negatives. If your negatives are scratched, and the prints look great, you may be better off scanning the print. I don't do all one thing. I try to do what looks best. I have all my grandparent's negatives and they are in pristine condition. When I scan them, I get way better quality than scanning the same prints out of their albums.

Sorry I don't give a definitive answer, but I do a little of everything. :D

Since it has been a half of year since Thess bought and used her new scanner--I was wondering how it is working out for her. Does anyone else have any insights into a great scanner which also does a wonderful job on slides? Thank you in advance.

Susan

I have no idea if and how it works!!! LOL!

It has arrived, and I have taken it out of it's box - but I haven't tried it yet...

Life has just been too crazy.

But DH is leaving town on the 22nd, and while he's away I will get some "me"-time and I will hook it up!

Thess, I am very interested in hearing how this is working out. I'm considering doing the same thing as I have negatives of most of my childhood photos but the prints were destroyed in a flooded basement about 20 years ago. I also have a huge collection of slides I shot about 30 years ago. What's the ballpark price for these scanners?

Thess, I am very interested in hearing how this is working out. I'm considering doing the same thing as I have negatives of most of my childhood photos but the prints were destroyed in a flooded basement about 20 years ago. I also have a huge collection of slides I shot about 30 years ago. What's the ballpark price for these scanners?

Since I'm in Sweden - and EVERYTHING in Sweden is waaaay too expensive - I'm not the right person to ask...

But as soon as I've used it, I'm gonna let you know what I think of it!

Archived