What Is Your Favorite Book You Read Growing Up?

sschofi404

In High School, I loved anything by David Eddings and Anne McCaffrey...

So many books, so little time! :)

I just had to ask, have you read any David Eddings lately? I enjoyed them back in high school, but I tried reading some just recently, and honestly, they seemed painfully boring. I couldn't get through them. I'm trying to decide if my tastes have changed, or if his books have just gotten slooooowwwww!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I loved a lot of what was mentioned, Judy Bloom books, Boxer Car children, Nancy Drew, Little House on the Prairie, The goosebumps series. I also loved the babysitters club and sweet valley twin and going back to when I was really young, Ramona books by Beverly Cleary. I loved the Narina books, Mixed up Files, Hatchet. Harry Potter became a fovortie kids book, even thought I wasn't a kid when I read them. I love children's book, my list can go on and on.

What a fun topic! I have read most of the books mentioned and loved so many of them but the one that really sticks out is Little Women. We were very poor growing up so I didn't own a lot of books (or anything else for that matter lol) and what we had was always second hand. But I remember being somewhere between ten and twelve and going to a used book sale at a local college and picking up a clothbound (red) version of Little Women for a quarter. The pages were musty and brown with deckled edges - I can still remember the smell of the spotted old paper and the scraping sound the pages made as I turned them. I read it over and over and over. My heart still aches now twenty years later that I didn't keep that book when we moved cross country! ;)

In High School, I loved anything by David Eddings and Anne McCaffrey...

So many books, so little time! :)

I just had to ask, have you read any David Eddings lately? I enjoyed them back in high school, but I tried reading some just recently, and honestly, they seemed painfully boring. I couldn't get through them. I'm trying to decide if my tastes have changed, or if his books have just gotten slooooowwwww!

Do you mean his more recent books? I read all of them too. The only one I didn't buy because it seemed boring at first was "The River Codex" I think that was it's name. I would finish one of his books in 2 days. What about Terry Goodkind? His books are the same fantasy themes as David Eddings.

Jennifer

My girls have their own little library. I LOVE books! The Little House, Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel, Make Way for Ducklings and The Monster at the End of This Book...I remember my mom reading those to me over and over. Narnia, The Scarlet Letter and, in high school, Run Baby Run. Then I stumbled upon a first edition of Rebecca. It's been my favorite ever since.

Thanks for the jog down memory lane :)

I read all the Little House books at least 10 times each. My mom still has all of my books from growing up in her storage room. They fill about 4 rubbermaid containers, not the huge ones, the ones that are 20 inches long. That's still a lot of books. I have one book about unicorns. The pages are tissue paper thin. They have what look like hand drawn images and writing. It's really neat. It's the one book I've kept out all these years.

Jennifer

Ive read a ton of the books that had been previously mentioned. The one that sticks to me is The Outsiders by SE Hinton. I think I know the first page by heart & can tell you most of the dialogue of the movie. It was one of those books that have a lot of hidden lessons and morals in it that really stuck to me.

As an older teen I loved Waiting games and Now or Never by the Carol Hart (they were madeinto movies too I think)and Madeline L'Engle's the Austin Family series. I also loved Judy Blume, I read all of her books and the Beverly Cleary Books. Also as a small child I read a book called TIc Tac about a horse every week. What a fun topic.

Does anyone remember the Captain Kangaroo show that was on TV about 30 years ago for kids? There was also Electric Company.

Jennifer

Yes I do, I loved Mr Green Jeans. Why werent' his jeans Green?

I really can't remember if they were or not. It would make sense if they were.

Jennifer

There is absolutely no way I can pick just one favorite book.

When I was growing up, I LOVED the classic fairytales. I had a friend in Switzerland who sent me a new book every year, called "Stories for 5 year olds," "Stories for 6 year olds," etc. They were great! I would make my dad read Rumplestiltskin over and over. (They weren't picture books, but more like chapter books.) I devoured our heirloom copy of Hans Christian Anderson's tales and the Book of Virtues.

When I read more on my own, I loved the "Grandma's Attic" series.... A grandma made patchwork quilts out of fabrics that all told a story...and told those stories in the book. It was so much fun! They went along great with the Little House on the Prairie series. I'd say that series really stuck with me...I still think of needing more "elbow room" like Pa, and totally understood when Laura was sad about hurting the maple trees. And I can't forget mentioning Anne of Greene Gables. I wished I had red hair! Little Women was lots of fun, too. (Studying her writing in college was a different story, let me tell ya.)

Of course I also read Nancy Drew and the Sweet Valley Twins and Babysitter Club....but I had to sneak the Twins stories home from the library. My 2nd grade teacher read us the Boxcar Children on rainy days. And Ramona & Beatrix Quimby, along with Henry Huggins and Ralph S. Mouse were some of my other favorites. It's hard to think of childhood without thinking of the books that accompanied me everywhere!

To be "cool" and try to understand boys, I'd read the "choose your own adventure" books and Hardy Boys. But honestly, I thought they were a little boring.

When I got older, into middle school, I got hooked on the fantasy stuff, like CS Lewis, Madeline L'Engle, and Lois Lowry (The Giver). If Harry Potter had been around when I was younger, I would have read those too. And, since I went to a Christian school in middle school, I of course read the "Love Comes Softly" series by Janette Oake. My tastes have definitely changed since then haha. I was also a big fan of the Brock & Bodie Thoene World War 2 series...can't remember what they're called any more. And I read tons of Michael Phillips and other similar Bethany House historical fiction.

What fun memories! I have enjoyed many of the same books as you all (Yes, Sarah, I read the Five Little Peppers and How They Grew). In high school, I also loved Alexandre Dumas (The Three Musketeers, The Count of Monte Cristo, The Queen's Necklace); The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Emmuska Orczy; anything by Victoria Holt (so romantic and gothic); and most everything by Agatha Christie.

And then when my children were smaller, I read the ones I missed as they read them, like A Wrinkle in Time. I still enjoy reading books from the children's section of the library.

Growing up without a mom, I had ALOT of questions that I never felt comfortable asking my dad or grandma. I read Are you there God? It's Me, Margaret at least 15 times. I also remember reading Flubber as well. Both books are by Judy Blume. There was also another book that I absolutely loved but I don't remember the name of but the main character's name was Fiona....oh!...and I read Nantucket Summer over and over and over.

I went thru a VERY long period when I didn't read for leisure at all.

Now I read Patricia Cornwell's Scarpetta series and J.D. Robb's (Nora Roberts) In Death series....and my digi scrapping mags and last but not least...my nursing journals.

I also read most of Victoria Holt's romance novels. Another good one is Mary Stewart--but I really love her series about Merlin and Arthur (The Crystal Cave. The Hollow Hills, etc)--my copies of those are truly falling apart. "Memory, Sorrow, Thorn" by Tad Williams is another great fantasy trilogy. My adult kids and I would call dibs on who would get to read the Harry Potter books when they came out. Made for some great conversations about life.

I've also read all of David Eddings and most of Goodkind's "Pillars of the Earth". I had to give up on that one and Jordan's "Wheel of Time". They are truly bloated epics that probably should have been confined to a lesser number of volumes.

I also read most of Victoria Holt's romance novels. Another good one is Mary Stewart--but I really love her series about Merlin and Arthur (The Crystal Cave. The Hollow Hills, etc)--

I loved Victoria Holt's novels. I have all the Mary Stewart Merlin books and love each and every one of them. My current favorite series is The Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, hot, hot, hot. And anything else to do with time travel is on my list of favorites.

I loved The Secret Garden, like many have mentioned here. I also loved anything by Roald Dahl, including BFG (Big Friendly Giant) and James and The Giant Peach. Also Shel Silvertein's Where the Sidewalk Ends and A Light in the Attic. Oh, and all the original Wizard of Oz books with the original illustrations. My mom had a bunch of those handed down to her and those were so amazing to read.

Erica

Nancy Drew series captivated me, probably had such an influence on me that I became a Probation Officer for a bit! Unfortunately, that didn't work out for me, and I really loved the field!...there was also a wonderful series about a Nurse but the title is eluding me at the moment...can anyone help me out here? LOL...Willa Cather's My Antonia is wonderful and Little Women too. I also like The Ugly Duckling.

Now I love mysteries, sci-fi and time traveling. I love reading about medieval times, and books set in Ireland, Scotland &

England.

I love quest books like The Davinci Code & Crusade Gold.

I can't get enough Andrew Greeley books!!!

Love,

Marilyn

• 2 months later...

oh wow. This was a blast from the past along memory lane!

Ok, my fave book was THE HARDY BOYS. OMG. I just LOVED Sean Cassidy, and he was the main character in the books. And I liked the Nancy Drew series. Judy Blume is another fave.

What fun to think about this!

Does anyone remember the Captain Kangaroo show that was on TV about 30 years ago for kids? There was also Electric Company.

Jennifer

OMG, Jennifer! I loved those shows! I cried when Captain K died a while back. How sad that was. What an era!!!

Jennifer

OMG, Jennifer! I loved those shows! I cried when Captain K died a while back. How sad that was. What an era!!!

With Mr Green jeans & Rabbit. I loved that show.

• 1 month later...

I searched the thread and didn't see anyone mention The Borrowers series. These were my all time favorite and provided a safe fantasy world to escape to.

Volume 1 The Borrowers

Volume 2 The Borrowers Afield

Volume 3 The Borrowers Afloat

The borrowers, human-like, but only a few inches tall, live under the floorboards and survive by borrowing items and leftovers from "human beans."

The first of the series was "The Borrowers," which won the Library Association Carnegie Medal in England as the outstanding children's book of 1952. American critics celebrated the book when it was published in the United States the next year.

A review of the series is here.

When I was little it was make Way for Ducklings. Later I move into Heidi, Black Beauty, My friend Flicka. For awhile I was into Clara Barton and Nancy Drew. Then in 7th grade The Red Badge of Courage. Since then its just about anything I pick up.

When I was in Jr Hi, after a long stay in the hospital and home schooled for many months, I was able

to return to school and spend the GYM hour working in the school library, unable to participate in Gym.

During this time of replacing borrowed books, I discovered the book "Papa's Wife". This book literally changed

my thinking patterns! From then on, I wanted to be a preacher's wife, just like her! [My catholic aunt almost

fainted when I mentioned that career desire! LOL]

That was in 1962... in 1968 I married my DH who was planning to be a preacher. Quite the funny story...

even funnier that I have known him almost all my life (he moved to our neighborhood when I was three.

He even dated my big sis in Jr Hi, and my mom dated his dad a few times... small world!

Our 40th anniversary is near the end of this month. Yay!)

That one book made such a great impression, I referred my gd to it, and now its HER favorite read.

When I was really little, my dad would buy me any book that I wanted and how ever many that I wanted to order from school. He worked in the mines at the time and I was still an only child. I had tons of books, Clifford, Sweet Valley Twins, The Poky Little Puppy and Nancy Drew anything that I thought would be interesting. Well one day I dragged my big books of books outside to sit and read. I took a nap and woke up to rain. I tried to drag my box back into the house and couldn't. All of my books were ruined. I cried for days!

I then graduated to the fear street series, christopher pike books, and sweet valley high books.

Currently, I read john Jakes, James Patterson's Alex Cross series, Jonathon Kellerman's Alex Delaware series, Eloisa James, Victoria Alexander. I read Envy by Sandra Brown and Fields of Gold by Alexandra Ripley at the beginning of spring and summer each year.

I will basically read anything that doesn't run from me!!!

Archived