Help Wanted From Computer Guru...

Any of you computer gurus :superhero: ...I need your help. :please:

Have been experiencing problems opening up any shortcuts (and all my organizing is done with shortcuts). I think I have narrowed it down to files "mysteriously" losing their Target Type (under properties). I am able to create new shortcuts; however, the majority of all my organized shortcuts are missing this information. Consequently, I get an error message when clicking on a shortcut that reads:

The drive or network connection that the shortcut '____name of file' refers to is unavailable. Make sure that the disc is properly inserted or the network required is available and then try again.

Under properties on the affected shortcuts, I am unable to click on the General Tab. Error window pops up that reads:

The folder '___folder holding shortcut target' specified in the Start In box is not valid. Make sure that the folder exists and that the path is correct.

The Start In block on the shortcut key has the correct title. I think it is just the missing Target Type since the shortcuts that work have the Target Type (e.g. JPEG Image). How do I get this information back again?! :throw:

I'm definaltey not a computer guru! But I had issues when I installed my new hard drive. My drive letters changed, and the computer couldn't find the shortcuts. I had to change the drive letters. Have you installed any new hardware latley? A new ehd or hard drive, dvd drive, etc. Just a thought!

I'm definaltey not a computer guru! But I had issues when I installed my new hard drive. My drive letters changed, and the computer couldn't find the shortcuts. I had to change the drive letters. Have you installed any new hardware latley? A new ehd or hard drive, dvd drive, etc. Just a thought!

Thanks, Launa! I appreciate any thoughts or suggestions you might have.

I have both a My Book EHD (has all my photos and supplies) that must be plugged in and a portable Maxtor EHD (limited files on that for use when I travel) that just uses my usb ports. The My Book EHD is drive (E) and I believe it has always been drive (E). I did use the Maxtor for the first time without the other ehd being connected while on vaca to download photos.

How did you change the drive letters, just in case?

What drive is your shortcut pointing to Kimmy? If it is pointing to your EHD make sure the EHD is powered on & connected. You may have to reboot it, i had this problem with mybook.

HTH :tinkerbell:

Wow! I guess I know more than I think! But it comes from having to fix stuff I've messed up! LOL!! I'm glad you got thinkg figured out!! I know how annoying that can be!! :D

Hey don't knock that... it's how we ALL know what we know. :rofl: If we didn't mess stuff up how would we know how to fix it?

:bighug::tinkerbell:

Archived