13 replies to this topic

#1 MomofCam

MomofCam

I Made it! I'm a Top-Dog Scrapper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 09:36 PM

I haven't been around in about 6 weeks, but I saw Shari's (PV Mom of 2) post regarding James Patterson's books. I think I have read every one of his books. Women's Murder Club has a new edition .... number 6. Very good read. He also writes books that are not part of a series and the one that really blew my socks off ... I mean threw me for the biggest loop was Beach Road .... AWESOME!!!

Another suggestion is Karen Slaughter ... Slaughter has recurring characters that I really like. I get so attached to my characters sometimes that I hate to finish a book. But I read pretty fast, so I just go out and buy another one, or go to the library.

Harlan Coben is good too. He has a lot of humor in his books. His main character will be about to get hammered and he will be making wisecracks. Cracks me up while I read.

Iris Johanson is a good read ... mysterious, short reads. She also has a recurrent series too.
Dianne

Posted Image

#2 mbc72

mbc72

Keep calm and scrap on!

• Creative Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,773 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 12:02 AM

Dianne- I love all those authors, too. I just found a series at the library that I have really been enjoying by Nancy Martin-The Blackbeard Sisters Mysteries. Glad to see you back on the boards.

gallery_8176_229_23474.png

Button_Layout.pngButton_Published.pngShredButton.png
SGblinkie.gifBLINKIES_Blessed.gif

#3 MomofCam

MomofCam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 12:17 AM

Dianne- I love all those authors, too. I just found a series at the library that I have really been enjoying by Nancy Martin-The Blackbeard Sisters Mysteries. Glad to see you back on the boards.

Hey Melanie! I am not familiar with Nancy Martin. I will definitely add her to my list. I am always looking for good mysteries. Patricia Cornwell was my favorite but when she killed off her main character, her storyline seemed to lose a lot after that ... she realized it too and brought him back ... but it just hasn't been the same.

There's just nothing better than getting lost in a good whodunit book. I love trying to figure it out ... but I don't try too hard. I like the guessing game. I feel in love with suspense novels with Mary Higgins Clark.

I noticed this topic was beat to death pretty good in some of the other threads, but like I said, I haven't been here for about 6 weeks and, well, I guess I wanted to get my two cents in the mix .... LOL! Thanks for commenting!
Dianne

Posted Image

#4 Shari PV Mom

Shari PV Mom

Inspired by everything Scrap Girls!!!

• Members
  • 11,454 posts
  • Personal Statement:Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting so get on your way! ~ Dr. Seuss

Posted 10 March 2008 - 12:30 AM

Actually Dianne ... The Women's Murder Club series has a 7th book out now called "7th Heaven". I'm on the 6th book (I started the series in December!) and I also read the SG book club selection. But, now that my back treatments are over I won't have as much time to read. :( With my luck I won't get to the next one until the end of the year. I'm going to really try though because I just love these books. I'll have to check out "Beach Road" when I'm done with 7. :D Thanks for the suggestion.
Posted Image Posted Image

#5 MomofCam

MomofCam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:25 PM

Oh, Shari ..... you're right!!!! I thought I was caught up! Looks like I have a new book to get. I was trying to stay on the "new books" list at the library, but I can never get my name on the list first and I am just way too impatient to wait until it gets down to me. But there's something about going to the bookstore and picking up that new hardback edition .... ohhhh, I just love the bookstore. Looks like I'm headed there tomorrow.

Hope your back is much better ... I know what a bummer that can be. I'll be thinking of you!
Dianne

Posted Image

#6 kerryveale

kerryveale

Hi, I'm Kerry & I love Scrap Girls!

• Design Team
  • 6,358 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 12:07 AM

Dianne, it's good to see you back on the boards!

I'm going to print out this string and take it to the library with me; I haven't picked books recently that are very interesting.

~ Kerry ~
Designs~ Gallery
Button_Designer.png

The Adagio digital scrapbooking kit will spark your creativity in creating layouts for travel, performances, music, romance,

special occasions like dances, and heritage layouts. (Images are clickable)
KVE_Adagio_MKTG_150.jpg KVE_Adagio_LO1_150.jpg KVE_Adagio_LO2_150.jpg KVE_Adagio_PaperSamples_MKTG_150.jpg

#7 richelle

richelle

Scrapper Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 12:28 AM

I LOVE Patterson... I actually listen to audio books while I am scrapping or surfing the net or even cleaning the house... You can still get your favorite book in even if you don't have time to sit and read it...
Posted Image
Siggy Credits: SNU Butterfly Dreams

#8 trishy

trishy

Scrap Girl Messageboard Wise One

• Members
  • 9,883 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 01:21 AM

Dianne I am going to have to check these authors out. I was/am a huge Patricia Cornwell fan, but after having my kids I couldn't stomach how graphic and realistic her stuff was anymore. Are these authors as technical and graphic as she is or are they more mystery driven? I have yet to find another author that I really looked forward to reading like I did with Cornwell, Body farm and Potter's Field are my favorite of hers.

If this tells you how far the other direction I have gone in the last few years, here is what I have read when time allows:
• Harry Potter 5 & 6
• The *** Girls' Action-Adventure Club: True Tales from a Magnificent and Clumsy Life by Laurie Notaro
• We Thought You Would Be Prettier: True Tales of the Dorkiest Girl Alive by Laurie Notaro
• Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons: A Novel by Lorna Landvik

And a few other not worth mentioning. :)

#9 MomofCam

MomofCam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 11:20 PM

Dianne, it's good to see you back on the boards!

I'm going to print out this string and take it to the library with me; I haven't picked books recently that are very interesting.

Thanks Kerry!!! It's feels SO GREAT to be back here with all of you! Let me know what you pick out .... you can't go wrong with any of them. Another brand new author to me is Greg Isles ... I read one of his books called True Evil and oh my goodness ... it's one of those that makes the hair on your neck stand up. Not where you are scared to walk to the hall to the BR by yourself, but this book was a 100% murder/mystery but the bad guy was playing with medicine .... it's the type of thing that you know could happen and just made it more of an "ohmygoodness" ... good stuff!!!!
Dianne

Posted Image

#10 MomofCam

MomofCam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 11:41 PM

Dianne I am going to have to check these authors out. I was/am a huge Patricia Cornwell fan, but after having my kids I couldn't stomach how graphic and realistic her stuff was anymore. Are these authors as technical and graphic as she is or are they more mystery driven? I have yet to find another author that I really looked forward to reading like I did with Cornwell, Body farm and Potter's Field are my favorite of hers.

If this tells you how far the other direction I have gone in the last few years, here is what I have read when time allows:
Harry Potter 5 & 6
The *** Girls' Action-Adventure Club: True Tales from a Magnificent and Clumsy Life by Laurie Notaro
We Thought You Would Be Prettier: True Tales of the Dorkiest Girl Alive by Laurie Notaro
Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons: A Novel by Lorna Landvik

And a few other not worth mentioning. :)

Trish, I am a huge, huge fan of Patricia Cornwell's too! I have read all of her books!!!! My favorites of the Scarpetta series are All That Remains, Point of Orgin and Body Farm. I was ready to get a degree in forensics after reading her books. No one can describe a crime scence like she can. I learn soooo much when I read her stories .... I just love it and still do (even after having my son). However, after she killed off one of the main characters, and then brought him back (because all of her fans were ANGRY about it), the books just don't seem to be the same. The two characters don't work as well together anymore .... just lost the umph! Do you think so???

I think you would really like Karen Slaughter. She is a Pediatrician/Medical Examiner in a small town and was married to (and now dating again) the Chief of Police ... but because it's a small town they have to work all the crime scenes together .... She only has about 4 or 5 books and they have the same characters. These main characters are very likeable. There is a deputy I have a hard time relating to, but the stories are really good mysteries. The first one I read was Tryptyke (sp?) ... loved it .... and went back and read the others. A Faint Cold Fear was really, really good!

Another favorite I forgot to mention are the Prey novels by John Sanford .... he has the same dectective Lucas Davenport in all of these stories and I am totally in love with this character ....

You asked if they are as graphic as Cornwell ... no .... to me, no one compares to Cornwell. Authors I can't wait to put out a new book are James Patterson (ANYTHING HE WRITES), John Sanford, Harlan Coben and now Karen Slaughter.
Dianne

Posted Image

#11 Sarah in VA

Sarah in VA

MAD (Mid Atlantic Digital) Scrapper

• Members
  • 5,465 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 08:06 AM

Dianne, I'm so glad you posted again! I thought I had lost this thread. I've picked up so many good ideas from you all and this time, I've made a list! I'd like to add the author Susan Wittig Albert. The heroine, China Bayles, left her law practice in Houston to open a herb shop and gardens in a small town in the Texas Hill Country. All these books have the same bunch of quirky characters and are not graphic or gorey at all. And they all include real herb lore, recipes, and have herbs in the names of the books, as in the one I'm reading now, A Dilly Of A Death!
Posted Image
This Beautiful Signature by Jennifer Z. Thanks!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#12 Kricket

Kricket

Scrap Girl Messageboard Wise One

• Members
  • 2,873 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 11:12 AM

I love to too. I also like Patricia Cornwell, John Sanford, and Iris Johanson.

Some of my other favorites are:Lilian Jackson Braun -the Cat Who series; Sye Grafton, Johnathan Kellerman and Nora Roberts writng as J.D. Robb the Dallas series. Almost forgot JanetEvanovich. can one have to many favorites?
Addicted Scrapper "Do not go where the path may lead, go where there is no path and leave a trail" RW Emerson
Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 spartica

spartica

Super Scrapper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 12:32 PM

I love Andrew Greeley's Nuala series and his Father Blackie series. Both have recurring characters and are not gorey
or scary.

I also love all the recipe mysteries!!!

Love,
Marilyn
Love, Marilyn

Live, love, laugh and don't forget to scrap!

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#14 kerryveale

kerryveale

Hi, I'm Kerry & I love Scrap Girls!

• Design Team
  • 6,358 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 03:52 PM

I've been stuck in the mystery genre for most of my life--love ALL these authors!

~ Kerry ~
Designs~ Gallery
Button_Designer.png

The Adagio digital scrapbooking kit will spark your creativity in creating layouts for travel, performances, music, romance,

special occasions like dances, and heritage layouts. (Images are clickable)
KVE_Adagio_MKTG_150.jpg KVE_Adagio_LO1_150.jpg KVE_Adagio_LO2_150.jpg KVE_Adagio_PaperSamples_MKTG_150.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users