A Photoshop Question...

Wxchic

I'm using photoshop CS2. My hubby installed a 250gb hard drive as well as a 250gb backup. Everynight, my computer automatically coppies itself onto the backup. I still have an enormous amount of space on my HD, but photoshop is still running kind of slow. Does this has something to do with the scratch disks? SHould i assign them different values? Does anyone know?? TIA!

[quote name='dinny' date='Sep 18 2005, 01:24 PM']it's probably a RAM issue... how much RAM do you have on the computer?

Scratch disk... where do you have it, which drive?  with application or files?
[right][post="23792"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I have 1 gb of ram...the scratch disks were assigned to my c: drive, but I wonder if I shouldn't have them on my k: drive which is the backup drive...since that isn't utilized except for backup...

get more RAM!!! That will be a BIG help. Check out what your machine can handle and add at least 1GB, more if you can.

scratch disk should be on a drive w/o the software, so moving to the backup drive is a great idea.

You should be flying thru Photoshop soon!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest jasbeanie
actually to make photoshop run faster, you can change your scratch disk to another drive that your photoshop is NOT installed in.. tht shld make ir run faster too.

Guest gauchogirl
Also, Adobe recommends that your percentage of ram used setting in Photoshop not exceed about 60% as it actually can slow you down if higher. I've experienced it myself, although I don't know why it happens.
t

[quote name='gauchogirl' date='Oct 7 2005, 01:05 PM']Also, Adobe recommends that your percentage of ram used setting in Photoshop not exceed about 60% as it actually can slow you down if higher. I've experienced it myself, although I don't know why it happens.
t
[right][post="24744"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Thank you Tonya, I'll try that too!

[quote name='evariz' date='Oct 9 2005, 06:23 AM']What is a "scratch" drive?
[right][post="24832"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Hey Gail! A scratch disk is an area of your hard drive that Photoshop uses while it is in session. It doesn't actually "save" anything to the hard drive, but it utilizes it to run certain tasks within photoshop. Under preferences in photoshop, you will see the scratch disk menu option. Here you can reassign your scratch disk. From what these wonderful ladies here have told me, and from what I have read, if you have a drive on your computer that you use for backup, or a drive that doesn't contain the photoshop root, that you should use that for your main scratch disk.

HTH!

Guest gauchogirl
Yep, but also because Windows itself uses a scratch drive also, (sometimes called a swap file) which is USUALLY on your C drive (not always though). When Windows and Photoshop are using the same space (drive) for their scratch/swap files, there can be conflicts. That's why you may see a warning message sometimes when you launch PS saying that Windows and PS are using the same primary drive for the scratch disk.

[quote name='gauchogirl' date='Oct 9 2005, 06:51 PM']right click on your my computer icon on your desktop (PC) and choose properties. It will be in there.
t
[right][post="24844"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

okay, only have 256mb of RAM....how do you add more?

Archived