Saturday Color Challenge 3/15/08

Zaz

Well, today’s Color Challenge may be a REAL challenge to some of you. But I KNOW you can do it!

I have lived in Minnesota most of my life. A lot of us around here are of northern European descent. In the community where I am from we honored everyone else’s culture as well as our own. So, although I’m not Finnish, I was taught about St. Urho, legendary Patron Saint of Finland. St. Urho’s Day is celebrated around here every March 16th. I remember driving by his statue in Menahga, Minnesota. He’s a big guy with a grasshopper on a pitchfork (and he was fought over by two neighboring communities as I remember). I think I was told he drove the grasshoppers out of Finland. The Finns in our area would joke about how their hero was always overshadowed by some minor saint from Ireland. Since we were an equal opportunity community, I remember wearing St. Urho’s colors to school on March 16th many years. They are now my favorites. :)

So, your challenge today, if you should choose to be so brave, is to use PURPLE and GREEN in a layout. The OFFICIAL colors of St. Urho are Royal Purple and Nile Green, but I’m just not that picky. If you’d like to you a dusty grape color or maybe a lavendar, I’m fine with that, too. Spring green or a nice foresty color are lovely as well. No worries. Just have fun.

If you’d like to know more about St. Urho’s Day, you are welcome to check out a couple of websites I found. This one has the statue I used to drive by and this one has a lot of other fun stuff.

And just a side note for Debilou and few others: NO grasshoppers are needed in the layouts. Really. None. If you’d like to add a few grapes, well, that would be okay, I guess.

I'll post my layout as soon as we can ascertain why PhotoShop is mad at me. I used Thao's Endearing You Collection and I LOVE the colors.

You can post your layouts to this gallery. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Zaz, you must have been looking over my shoulder! I'm working on a layout for yesterday's customer challenge, and it will work perfectly for this one, too! I'll post in a couple of hours when I get it wrapped up. Multi-tasking...don't ya love it?

Well, I've certainly scared a lot of people. Twenty-five views and only three posts. ;) Need ideas? My layout has black and white photos. What about flowers or adding another color, like blue? If you like the softer hues, Easter past would be a great idea (or this year if you're like Michelle and have an egg hunt today). I've actually seen several great examples in the gallery. I'll have to go looking again and see if I can give you more examples. :)

Ann she was looking over my shoulder too -

Joy had sent me some pictures several weeks ago during Secret Pals - I had played around with this one some - today when I saw the color challenge I immediately thought of the layout that I had been working on for Joy using her pictures of her bluebonnets!

For Joy

Wow, I'm just so sad that I can't celebrate the day as it is meant to be celebrated - but guess what - my stupid page I did yesterday will work for TODAY TOO..

So, happy whatever day - I used a lot of PURPLE AND PINK...

hehehe.. ok, some green thrown in.. but. lots of purple and pink..

And, my siggy works too..

Wow, I'm just so sad that I can't celebrate the day as it is meant to be celebrated - but guess what - my stupid page I did yesterday will work for TODAY TOO..

So, happy whatever day - I used a lot of PURPLE AND PINK...

hehehe.. ok, some green thrown in.. but. lots of purple and pink..

And, my siggy works too..

I don't see any green in your siggy, Debi. Work on that, k? ;)

Gee, my siggy works, though. Woo hoo! :D

And I thought I'd met all the Minnesota Statue heros - Paul Bunyan -Babe the Blue Ox - The Jolly Green Giant to name a few. Some how I missed St Urho.

-_- Hmmm purple and green I'm looking.

You have to head farther north, Pat. Have you been to the Paul Bunyan in Bemidji? There are a lot of giant statues around the state. You could do a whole tour. Have you seen the giant crow or the giant fish? I might have to find a list somewhere now. ;)

This is mine from a while ago so its nothing fancy. I just love the papers in this collection but having only a boy can make it difficult to use them.

(I can't believe how long its just taken me to find out how to insert a link to my picture.) :disappearing-smilie:

Freedom

And I found another that fits! This one is more of a bluey purple though

Mountain

And I thought I'd met all the Minnesota Statue heros - Paul Bunyan -Babe the Blue Ox - The Jolly Green Giant to name a few. Some how I missed St Urho.

You have to head farther north, Pat. Have you been to the Paul Bunyan in Bemidji? There are a lot of giant statues around the state. You could do a whole tour. Have you seen the giant crow or the giant fish? I might have to find a list somewhere now. ;)

Well I've visited Paul more times than I count both in Bermidji and Brainerd over the years and seen the fish (I think theres more than one) If you're making a list don't forget the Buffalo and Indian in Mankato - oh I suppose you best include the cherry and the spoon.

Hmmm still working on purple and green ......

The only time I've been in Minnesota was to change planes in Minneapolis. Always wanted to go back.....something for the future. This layout has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with Minnesota or St. Urhu....but it has purple and green! It's also doubling for the Friday "favorite ingredient" chalenge.

Poblanos!

Fun as usual! Thanks Zaz!

Archived