Where Can I Find "era-specific" Fonts"?

glassbird

I hope someone can help me with this. I am working on a lot of vintage family images and stories. I would like to be sure that the font (or fonts) that I am using are correct for the era that I am working in. I have been "guessing", but I am not happy about it. :banghead:

I would love to find a site that lists fonts that were popular in specific decades, or around historical moments in time (like the Civil War, the Great Depression, or the Roaring 20s, etc). Once I have a fonts name, I can probably find it on the Internet...its knowing WHICH fonts are correct for WHICH era that is throwing me.

Any font addicts out there? I can't be the only one concerned with authenticity!

Thanks!

Cathy T.

Cathy, I don't think I've ever seen anything that breaks fonts out that way. Some font sites do have a "Vintage" category, but I don't think I've ever seen anything broken down by decade. You might have to do some research (like the article Gina mentioned) to find what type fonts were popular in a certain era and then go hunt for those particular fonts.

I love Google. I typed in Thirties style fonts and got lots, this was at the top:

http://www.fontscape.com/explore?7EH

Fontscape groups fonts by Time Period like Thirties and Forties, etc. It will help. Also by styles: Victorian, Western, Art Nouveau, Art Deco, etc.

But just because a font was designed in that time doesn't mean it was popular or that it was a well designed font. Use the most classic from an era, study ads/magazines from that era and use the especially decorative fonts for headlines. Keep journaling legible, what works throughout time is legibility.

Google Thirties style ads or posters: 1930 Posters or 1930 Advertising and do it in the Google Image section.

Well! And WOW!

Fontscape is exactly what I was looking for, and then some! THANKS!!

Your other suggestion about looking at advertisements from each decade or era is also much appreciated. I often forget about Google for some reason.

I think I need to get some more fonts now...

Cathy T.

Archived