11 replies to this topic

#1 Zaz

Zaz

Beware the Zazerpillar!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,833 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 10:00 PM

Jon Hassler, one of my favorite authors and a friend of my family, died today. He had a long battle with a neurological disorder, but he was still writing up until he died. He created some of my favorite literary characters and I'm sad to know that they have died with him.

As a friend of my dad, they had planned to write a book together "someday". It was going to be something like a walking tour of Minnesota. Mr. Hassler (I still can't call him "Jon") was to do the writing part and my dad was to paint the illustrations (it's what my dad is well known for in these parts). And since my dad likes to sometimes do some writing, he thought he would take a stab at a chapter or two himself, while Mr. Hassler was also fond of painting, so he would've done a bit of that, too. I thought it would be great. I'm very sad that "someday" never came.

If you ever feel the need for a wonderful novel, pick up "Staggerford", "A Green Journey" and "Dear James" in that order. The first one was hard for me to read as it ends in a sad way, but you need to read it to enjoy the second one which is my all time favorite. It made me want to visit Ireland.

I think I need to go do something that I had planned to "someday" now.
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 podiumchick

podiumchick

Paparazzi Mom

• Members
  • 6,247 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 10:14 PM

How sad, Carol Ann. I'm glad that you got to spend time with and got to know this gentleman. What a treasure that book would have been. And the nudge to stop procrastinating is always a good one for all of us. I think of the phrase--'Man knows not his time'.

#3 Kara

Kara

Scrap Girl Messageboard Wise One

• Members
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 06:04 AM

Carol Ann, he's a legend in Minnesota. I saw it on the news today. :(
Posted Image

#4 CRS

CRS

Scrappin' with CS5

• Welcoming Committee
  • 29,892 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 08:48 AM

I'm so sorry Carol Ann! It's hard to lose a friend, and you can't help but be sad over the someday projects that never happen. I'll keep him in my prayers.

#5 KBT

KBT

Chattin', scrappin' and lovin' it!

• Members
  • 12,707 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 08:52 AM

I am sorry for your and your family's loss Carol Ann- for that of a dear friend and that of a wonderful author.
Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#6 Sherry Lynn

Sherry Lynn

Proud to be a Maine-iac!

• Creative Team
  • 27,164 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 08:57 AM

I am so sorry to hear about your loss, your families loss AND Minnesota's loss! Sending hugs your way Carol Ann!
My dear late Mother-In-Law wrote a song titled "Do Not Wait 'Til It's Too Late!" - it immediately came to mind when I saw your story about the "someday". You are in my thoughts!
Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#7 Sarah in VA

Sarah in VA

MAD (Mid Atlantic Digital) Scrapper

• Members
  • 5,465 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 10:15 AM

Carol Ann,

As I read your post, I kept thinking, "Who is this writer, and why don't I know him?"

Now after some thirty or forty minutes of reading about him, his life, and his work (and also a video of an interview with him and his wife from MinnPost.com) and the first chapter of "Staggerford", I realize the depth of your loss!

And I am so sorry for not only your family's personal loss, but the country's loss of a great American writer. And I grieve with you. So, I'm not going to put off until "someday" to read his works - I'm going to the bookstore this afternoon to see if they have any in stock. If not, I'll order from Amazon!

I'll add you all to my prayers.

PS: Maybe in his honor, we could read one of his books as the next SG Book Club selection...
Posted Image
This Beautiful Signature by Jennifer Z. Thanks!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#8 Sherry Lynn

Sherry Lynn

Proud to be a Maine-iac!

• Creative Team
  • 27,164 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 10:25 AM

Carol Ann,

As I read your post, I kept thinking, "Who is this writer, and why don't I know him?"

Now after some thirty or forty minutes of reading about him, his life, and his work (and also a video of an interview with him and his wife from MinnPost.com) and the first chapter of "Staggerford", I realize the depth of your loss!

And I am so sorry for not only your family's personal loss, but the country's loss of a great American writer. And I grieve with you. So, I'm not going to put off until "someday" to read his works - I'm going to the bookstore this afternoon to see if they have any in stock. If not, I'll order from Amazon!

I'll add you all to my prayers.

PS: Maybe in his honor, we could read one of his books as the next SG Book Club selection...

Oh Sarah, what a great idea!
Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#9 Launa

Launa

Scrap Girl Messageboard Wise One

• Members
  • 5,789 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 10:28 AM

Oh Zaz that is so sad, what a loss. He sounds like he was a wonderful person and a beautiful friend to your father. I'm sure they would have created a masterpiece together if given the chance.

#10 Shelbi

Shelbi

Grumpy Lumpy Scrapping Junkie

• Members
  • 8,422 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 10:51 AM

I saw this on the news. It's so sad when a favorite auther dies, and family friend at that.
I am sorry that he and your father never got around to doing that.
It is a good (albeit sad) reminder not to put off the things we want to do.
I am sorry for your loss.
He will be missed.
Michelle

#11 lorac

lorac

She Who Walks In Snow Without Shoes

• Members
  • 14,242 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 12:20 PM

I am so sorry for your loss Zaz. I, too, know what it is to lose a friend. It's a shame that he and your dad never got around to writing that book together, I am sure that it would have been wonderful.

My love and prayers go out to you and yours in this time of loss.

gallery_11036_66_10740.png

BLINKIES_girlfriend.gifSG-9-Anniversary_Spice-Blinkie.gifSG-9-Anniversary-SugarNSpice-Blinkie.gifBLINKIES_MOM-Past.gifSG-10thAnniversary-Blinkie.gif

SHARE THE LOVE GOAL Goal for September 2014, 7290 -- 7237 as of 9-28-14

#12 needadietcoke

needadietcoke

Well-behaved women rarely make history.

• Members
  • 5,465 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 12:56 PM

Sorry about your loss. Maybe we should all do one of those "someday" things. . .
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Check out my blog! Random Twitterings

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users