6 replies to this topic

#1 Durin

Durin

Scrap Girl Messageboard Wise One

• Design Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,607 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 09:01 AM

My husband brought home a paned picture window that someone was throwing away, (how sweet!) and I thought it would look great to decoupage some of my papers and layouts behind the glass. That way it would look like a big collage. I don't want my ink to run, though. Can I get a "fixative" (is that the right term?) that will keep my ink in place, yet allow me to glue the print?

I've done this decoupage treatment on old windows before, but used prints from calendars with the nice shiny finish. I just don't want to waste my time/ink/money on a blurry, gloppy project.

Durin

My Gallery
My Products

DEB_VintGr_RubOn_Emb_MKTG_150.jpg     DEB_LilacDr_Coll_MKTG_150.jpg     DEB_SweetGrunge_Coll_MKTG_150.jpg     DEB_VintageGrunge_Coll_MKTG_150.jpg
BLINKIES_product.gif

#2 talina

talina

• Members
  • 2,040 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 10:01 AM

Hmmm. Wouldn't mod podge work? I have used scrapbooking paper with a matte finish, and it didn't smear...Now I didn't print it...I bought it (traditional paper). And mod podge would also adhere it. I am not sure...maybe someone else has an opinion/idea?
Talina

Posted Image

#3 nelly

nelly

Scrap Girl Scrapper Devotee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 10:42 AM

could you spray it first (the LO) with a matte finish spray because that would seal it... then use mod podge or another spray adhesive??
"Women are like tea bags; put them in hot water and they get stronger." Eleanor Roosevelt

my LOs

my blog

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#4 LissaD

LissaD

• Design Team
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 11:33 AM

I am so glad you posted this. I too have had the problem of printing stuff and having it smear with modge podge... what a mess. It was actually fine for the project I was doing but I was wondering about fixing it as well. I have a spray fixative that I used to use for charcoal and pencil drawings but I didn't think about it. I will have to try it. If it seals it good I will let you know. If anyone else has a suggestion that would be great!
Happy Scrapping,
Melissa Renfro

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

view My Collections in the Boutique

#5 Ro

Ro

Founder

• Design Team
  • 10,434 posts
  • Personal Statement:I'm a geek. I'm a writer. I'm a philosopher. I'm a person of faith. I'm me.

Posted 07 October 2005 - 01:59 PM

Use artist's fixitive spray. It is used to fix all kind of messy things (like charcoal drawings, chalk drawings, etc.) and it will stop the smearing. I think that it is just a good idea to use it anyway because it will help you from ruining your layouts with your finger prints anyway. Just a light misting works and it is designed to make things permanent.

Artist's want their artwork to last a long, long time, right?

Life is an adventure of many colors. Enjoy the view.

Visit my gallery
My designs and tutorials in the Scrap Girls Boutique

gallery_3_358_20276.pngButton_Founder.png

#6 momentousangel

momentousangel

Hope You Have A Happy Scrappy Day!

• Members
  • 5,783 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 05:09 PM

Here's what I'd probably use. There is a glue that dries clear that doesn't smear, that is made for jigsaw puzzles. I've used that glue on photos and lots of other things, including printed versions of some of my layouts that I turned into puzzles and it didn't smear any at all. The glue dries perfectly clear and worked great. Therefore, I'd use jigsaw puzzle glue. :)
Posted Image

To have a friend is to have a shoulder to cry on, a hand to hold and an extra pair of legs when yours are too weak to stand alone...

I have been living buried in books and writing classes... as an added note I must say that it is rather scary when you start dreaming and all you can see within your dreams is words floating everywhere!

Posted Image
Valerie Lynn Harrell is the published author of a book of poetry, titled "A Little Girl Lost... Was Found Through Her Writing"

#7 Durin

Durin

• Design Team
  • 4,607 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 07:36 PM

Thanks for all the ideas ~ I think I'll head to the art supply store tomorrow and get the artist's fixative spray as well as the jigsaw puzzle glue and mod podge. I'll report on my "experiment" after I see the results. ( I still have to decide on the "layout" for this 5 ft. window! )

Thanks again!

Durin

My Gallery
My Products

DEB_VintGr_RubOn_Emb_MKTG_150.jpg     DEB_LilacDr_Coll_MKTG_150.jpg     DEB_SweetGrunge_Coll_MKTG_150.jpg     DEB_VintageGrunge_Coll_MKTG_150.jpg
BLINKIES_product.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users