Oh Mac Users...i Need Your Help With Pse 6

angleigh

Oh Mac users...I need you help. I've just got my first customers looking to find out how to install styles in PSE 6 and I have no answer for them. I know a few of you have already gotten your program and have been playing with it. Has anyone figured out how to install styles and/or actions in PSE 6 on a Mac?

Any information you have would be appreciated! Thanks!

Here's how I installed Actions in PSE 6.0 for the Mac: I copied the SketchIt and Photo Basics Actions folders for PSE 6, then pasted them into MACINTOSH HD\Library\Application Support\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\6.0\Photo Creations\Photo Effects, moved the Mediadatabase.db3 folder to the trash, restarted PSE 6.0 and it worked. It took a while to rebuild the Mediadatebase.db3 folder, so be patient.

Mava

I'm going to need this,too. After I but some styles and actions that is! But it is one of the things th at I've been worrying over. Things are usually so easy with a mac - and all this rebuilding is over my little computer head! http://bestsmileys.com/computer1/6.gif - why and how do you rebuild the Mediadatabase.db3 folder?

Grateful,

Gracegirl

I could use a little help with that too! I have used a Mac for 18 years but this is the first experience I have had with adding brushes, templates, etc. and it just doesn't always work. Anybody, help?

Sara Arell

My PSE 6 is still sitting in its little box waiting for installation. I didn't read the fine print that said I needed to have at lest Mac OS 1.4.8 to use it. Yet another upgrade, but after hearing all these stories, I'm not sure I still want to install it.

My PSE 6 is still sitting in its little box waiting for installation. I didn't read the fine print that said I needed to have at lest Mac OS 1.4.8 to use it. Yet another upgrade, but after hearing all these stories, I'm not sure I still want to install it.

Ann - Don't let all these stories keep you from upgrading and installing that new version - Icouldn't live without PS doing scrapbooking or my graphic arts. It is a hard, confusing program to learn, but once you get the basic down, you can do it! I still have trouble with adding filters and templates, but the instructions that the tutorials give you will help. They walk you right through all of the steps and you may not get it the first time or the second, the all of a sudden it will click. We are all learning together and I can't think of a better place to learn and ask questions than SG Club. What other applications do you use on your Mac? I use Adobe Illustrator and InDesign along with Photoshop to do my layouts. In fact, I do a lot of the work in Photoshop and then take it to my InDesign program to do the actual layout. That's just the way I learned and I need all three programs when I do a layout. If it's an easy one that I'm not going to use filters, et. in, I do the whole layout from start to finish in InDesign. I did it for 13 years in the Air Force working in the graphics department, so it's the only way I know. I would like to know what other programs you have on your Mac for layout though. Check out Ro's Photoshop Secrets and buy one of them and see how much help it will be. Also, ask for tutorials - I do - and they help me more than anything.

Don't give up! We Mac users have to stick together - not a day goes by that I don't have a discussion with someone about Mac vs PC....lol lol

Hang in there!

Sara Arell :dancingelephant:

Sara, thanks for the encouragement. The only application I use for layouts is PSE4...I don't feel like I have really mastered all it has to offer, but I've come a long way! I do have a little graphics program called Print Shop Explosion, which is pretty good for drop-and-drag quickies like cards and labels. I guess I'll be upgrading to the new Leopard OS and loading my new PSE 6...and you'd better be around to help me out 'cause I know I'm gonna need help!

Sara, thanks for the encouragement. The only application I use for layouts is PSE4...I don't feel like I have really mastered all it has to offer, but I've come a long way! I do have a little graphics program called Print Shop Explosion, which is pretty good for drop-and-drag quickies like cards and labels. I guess I'll be upgrading to the new Leopard OS and loading my new PSE 6...and you'd better be around to help me out 'cause I know I'm gonna need help!

Hi Ann -

Yeah, I'm getting ready to upgrade to Leopard too - just waiting for the "change bank" to fill up! I'll be here to help - just let me know. Leopard is awesome - I have seen it in action and I can't wait....it's just all the other changes I have to make to other applications. You should get InDesign too - I do all of my "busy" work in PS and then take it all to InDesign and complete my layouts in it. It is the most awesome program I have ever used since Pagemaker.......Keep me posted.

Sara Arell

Ann - I'm using PSE6 with Tiger. You shouldn't have to make the leap to Leopard (unless you really want to anyway) just to use PSE6. I got concerned about the new version (6 - not leopard) after reading some of the threads here. But i LOVE the new grey background. And, even as a beginner to digital scrapping and PSE (had version 4 only a little while), I am finding so many things I like about version 6! Hope you get it going soon and have some fun!

I wonder if you can still get a Tiger upgrade? I'm still on Panther.....can you say "stuck in a rut?" I know for sure that you can't load PSE6 on Panther, I pop it into the cd drive and it practically laughs out loud at me! I'll do some research and see what I can find. Thanks for the tip!

• 5 months later...

So a few months after the initial posting, here I am with PSE6 and wondering how to install the layer styles, filters, effects from my PSE4 folders to the newest version of PSE........ what file extension do the actions have? Is that atn? So what do I do now with my layers, styles, etc.? What's the magic formula? Where are the directions to install these if upgrading? Do I need to rename the meta???? something file? I have seen that posted here and there? Looking for some answers here.....lots of questions! Thanks, Judy

Here's how I installed Actions in PSE 6.0 for the Mac: I copied the SketchIt and Photo Basics Actions folders for PSE 6, then pasted them into MACINTOSH HD\Library\Application Support\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\6.0\Photo Creations\Photo Effects, moved the Mediadatabase.db3 folder to the trash, restarted PSE 6.0 and it worked. It took a while to rebuild the Mediadatebase.db3 folder, so be patient.

Mava

Archived