Photoplus?

shweber

Hi Sally, and welcome to ScrapGirls.

I have downloaded PhotoPlus 6 and wanted to see if it would work as a free option for people to use. I was fairly disappointed. I was looking for basic functionality and it has some of the basics. You can do layers and rotate an object, I believe it even has a shadow option to add a shadow. However, it was unbelievable slow. I think the size of the files we use for scrapbooking really loaded it down. I got so frustrated I suggested to my friend to find an older version of PSE and for the functionality of PSE it would be worth the price to pay.

So that was my experience. I have tried most of the programs out there and the reality is that as designers we are really looking to utilize the functions that Photoshop offers. So, as with any hobby, the initial tools that you invest in will determine how easy it is for you to really do it well.

Are you just getting started yourself? Or do you already have photoshop? This is a great place to ask questions if you want to learn these programs. :)

Good luck!

I am brand new to all of this. I subscribed to a bunch of things to try to familiarize myself with stuff. I am so overwhelmed - I thought this would be a good fit for me. I use computers alot and have always been into photos. My family got me Scrapbook Factory for Christmas - I guess that was a waste. I have never done any scrapbooking at all - People have always told me I should and I think I would love it, but I think my dining room would always be a wreck and I thought it was safer this way! I found out about it on Shutterfly. It is overwhelming and intimidating though... Sally

You can atually have some fun with the Scrapbook Factory, as long as you don't mind just using their backgrounds and embellishments. I'm with Melissa. I would highly recommend getting a version of Photoshop Elements. Six is the latest but 5 is still very popular. Of course, Photoshop CS3 is the ultimate - if you have the money to spend.

If I'm not mistaken you can download Photoshop Element 6 as a free trial for 30 days to see if you like it too. I don't know if there are still trial periods on 5.0 or not. But since version 6.0 is out 5.0 can be found very inexpensively several places.

Archived