Q About Transferring From Old Xp Laptop To New Vista Laptop

vfleslie

Old laptop is XP and running out of space.

New laptop is Vista with lots of harddrive and RAM.

I have a Q in at the digiscrapinfo (ACDSee site) about how to transfer files over so I don't lose my ACDSee cataloging but I thought I would ask you all too. If I have to recategorize everything I can.

Vista promotes using the Easy Transfer program to move all info over. They 'recommend' you move it all. I don't want to move it all, just the photos, PSE files and digital supplies. Well, I guess I wouldn't mind the rest of the documents but I don't know that I want *all* my settings and bookmarks,etc moved over. I know I can go in and select manually what files to move over but I'm afraid I will miss something. It would be alot easier to go with Vista default of mostly everything. Old laptop is mostly Dh's now. New laptop is my scrapping computer.

They recommend a cable (it's easiest) but I know you can use an EHD.

I hate to lose my ACDSee tagging info because I think the files will not be named the same when Vista transfers them over using Easy Transfer. I tried doing a backup of just my digital supplies to copy over to the same file structure in ACDSee from the XP computer (I'd have to go in the Vista computer and set the file structure up first), but my backup kept freezing 2/3 through which doesn't sound good. Guess I'll try a complete backup of the old laptop today, plus I also have Carbonite.

I only have 7G digital supplies. Don't want to retag it all but I could using ACDSee quick tag hints I guess.

I'd love to keep the new laptop clean from the beginning (all mine, haha) so I'm nervous about transferring files over.

Anybody had luck using the Easy Transfer program and is this the way to go? Thanks, Leslie

Sure wish I could help you, but I don't use ACDSee. I just moved a bunch of my files to my Vista desktop from an EHD (I wanted Carbonite to back them up for me). The Windows file structure moved perfectly. But I don't have any experience with your larger question.

Sorry!

I'm not having any luck. I started with the Windows Vista Easy Transfer program and tried to use my HUGE EHD but I got some kind of error (FAT32) that a quick google indicates (and my computer science son confirms) has to do with the size of the data files I am trying to transfer over. Rather than buy a Windows Easy Transfer Cable, I am going to take it to the local computer geeks and have them transfer it all and do a clean reinstall of Windows XP on the old laptop since it is running sluggishly. They are very very reasonable (not much more than the cost of buying the cable). I quit trying to figure it out................no time! Leslie

I traded laptops with my husband for a few weeks. He has Vista. I felt it was slower. I also do not like that you can't see in the folders in Vista. Also remember that it takes a gig just for Vista to work. So if you have 2gigs on your laptop it isn't really that much. I opted to put more hard drive space on my XP laptop but that is up to the person. I am very glad I did what I did but you might like Vista better.

I traded laptops with my husband for a few weeks. He has Vista. I felt it was slower. I also do not like that you can't see in the folders in Vista. Also remember that it takes a gig just for Vista to work. So if you have 2gigs on your laptop it isn't really that much. I opted to put more hard drive space on my XP laptop but that is up to the person. I am very glad I did what I did but you might like Vista better.

Thanks.......I did get 3G RAM on the new laptop + lots more hard drive. Leslie

Archived