Software Question

Guest twofastdogs

Guest twofastdogs
hi, newbie here with a question. i have jasc paint shop pro studio already on my computer (at least for another two days til my free preview runs out). is this a good program to start with? it will cost $69.

any opinions or advice on this software appreciated.

TIA

Guest jlf_loves_mjf
We have some PSP users around here so I'm hoping that they'll stop in to put their two cents worth in. I've never used PSP. My first program was Photoshop and I've never looked back. Now, I understand that Photoshop is a little difficult just to "jump" into...it has quite a learning curve...which is why Photoshop Elements might be a better intro program.

Okay, that was my two cents. Sorry if it confused you more. :)

I'm a Paint Shop Pro user and while I don't really know what the difference is with Studio, I'm guessing they just removed the stuff most people don't really use.
I just recently got Photoshop CS2. My thought is stick with Paint Shop.
When Paint Shop first came out it could not compare to Photoshop. But that was 10 versions ago and now it can do everything that Photoshop does plus more. When I read the "what's new in CS2" file, I saw how Adobe had taken some of PaintShop's features and had just put them in Photoshop. So in that regard, I think the programs are equal in what they can and can't do.
But my biggest gripe with Photoshop, and why I recommend PSP, is that PS is "labor intensive"...things you can do with one click of a mouse in Paint Shop requires three clicks and jumping to the keyboard to do in Photoshop. It takes twice as many steps to do the most basic things in PS... and some things you have to do part 1 with a mouse while part 2 needs the keyboard...so you have to keep bouncing between keyboard and mouse, which drives me nuts. In PSP, everything can be done with a click of a mouse so it's so much faster... and in PSP you customize your tool bars and put the icons you use on them so you don't have to go digging through drop down menu's either...and that makes it even faster.
This is probably why the learning curve on PS is so long...there are more steps to everything and then you have to remember what key on the keyboard does what. I just don't see the point to all that, geez, give me an icon to click and lets move on.
Lori

I was a beta tester for PSP 9. Studio is about the same price, but has limited ability. Get the full pro version. They are on PSP X (or 10) now. I just checked this minute and it is going for $99. A bargain! I just checked this minute and PhotoShop costs $599.00. They can do almost the identical things. So, my recommendation is for the PaintShopPro X.

Good luck with what ever decision you make!1
Hugs,
Kori

Oh wow, a Paintshop post and I haven't added my to cents worth, yet, :rofl:. I've had paintshop pro since version 6 came out, and with each version it's prgoressed greatly into quite an amazing program itself. All the things you can do with it are amazing to me even still today. While I also have photoshop, I seldomly ever use it for anything really, I always seem to overlook it and go to the programs I seem to know. I'm unsure of the differences as far as studio compared to the regular version, but from the way it sounds, the studio version is a limited version. You can actually compare it to the latest version of Paintshop online at Corel, so if it were me I would compare the studio version to the full latest version before making a decision. Granted I love the awesome features in the latest version, as well as the price difference compared to that of the studio version, I'd go ahead and get the full version, :). There's so much to do and so many new features in the latest version that I am surprised by how great it actually works for so many things. I'm pretty much paintshop pro all the way, ;).

I'm a PSP user too, have upgraded to PSPX.. never used Photo shop so I can't compare but I love having it and using it! My only issue was all the brushes that PS had but with the brush viewer utility that converts them to png, I don't mind that so much at all any more!

I am a PSP user too and love it. And there are so many great tutorials on the internet. I would suggest taking the time and work thru some of them, it is amazing what you can learn about the program.

DeeZee, do you like the new version? I have been thinking of upgrading to it.

I do like it, but I can't tell you why :-) I've used 8, 9 and now X and X is by far my favorite. Just little things but it seems to run faster and crash less, and I like the interface better.

Archived