Mozy Question--should I Delete Files?

el-J

I signed up for Mozy about 3 weeks ago. My question is this. I am dying to get all those pictures off of my computer!!! However, I am petrified to delete them...even though Mozy has supposedly backed them up for me. I know this sounds dumb, but I keep thinking "what if Mozy didn't really back them up?" I almost feel like I need to put them on disc before I delete them off my computer, but then if I do that, why have Mozy? Besides I have WAY too many pics to spend the time putting them all on discs. I would definitely hate to lose my layouts, but I think I'd surely fall over dead if I ever lost my pictures!!!!!!! :( I 'd love to know what others do that backup to Mozy. Thanks!

I think most online back-up services back up what you have on the drives, so if you remove it from the hard drive (external or internal) it will only keep it for a limited amount of time. (I think I've read 30 days) If it were me, I would get another EHD if you are running low on space. Then Mozy can continue to keep the back-ups current.

Back up to disks. Make a couple of copies of the important ones - store them away from the computer, and preferably in another trusted person's home. That way, if your home burns or someone steals your computer *and* your disks (known to happen), that extra set if disks is protection.

Mozy is an extra layer of backup for your "working" files - the stuff that will be staying on your hard drive. It's not intended to replace the physical act of putting your "extra files" somewhere else.

Hope that helps a little!

If you delete things off your hard drive, Mozy only keeps them for a short amount of time. So don't delete things off your hard drive, assuming that Mozy will keep them for you. If you are short on space, burn things to DVDs or get an EHD.

Thanks so much for all the replies!! I did not know that Mozy would not keep files that they had already backed up, but I then removed from my hard drive. That is good to know. Also, I will definitely be making back up disks! In fact, I just got done making quite a few B) I definitely need to get an EHD too. Thanks for all the advice!!

Archived