Anyone With A Wacom Tablet!

Guest dwebmaiden

My husband bought me mine yesterday. Right now, I am trying to get used to the pen. It's pretty easy to get used to, but I don't have the hang of the buttons, yet. So, I haven't explored everything yet. And, I need to play around with PSE 5. I've been using PSE 3. The first on my list, is to master the Magic Extraction Tool.

I was told to buy my own b-day present by dh. I ve been looking at these. Ive noticed that some come with erasers & some don't/. How do you erase on the ones that don't have an eraser?

Also, would you go with a smaller size one, or one that came with a ton more tips on it? They have an anniversary one that has about 15 different tips, plus 2 pens that come with it.

I was told to buy my own b-day present by dh. I ve been looking at these. Ive noticed that some come with erasers & some don't/. How do you erase on the ones that don't have an eraser?

Also, would you go with a smaller size one, or one that came with a ton more tips on it? They have an anniversary one that has about 15 different tips, plus 2 pens that come with it.

Alice,

Wacom is the industry leader for graphics tablets, and all Wacom pens come with an eraser. The only difference amongst the models is whether the Eraser feel (setting) can be personalized, and whether the Eraser can take on a different function (other than erasing).

I don't recommend buying a graphics tablet without an eraser. Yes, you can still select the eraser tool with these models- but why deal with the extra step when you can pay about the same price to just flip the pen? Something to think about.

When you do get one, I can recommend keeping an eye out for Katherine's class when it next comes round, it is worth every $ spent. :)

OK I did it !!! :dancingelephant: It's been sitting in my cart for probably about 2 hours. I talked to dh on the phone & he told me just to get it. If I had got the smaller one he said he knew that I would live to regret it.

So now I'm looking for things that everyone has done, any pointers etc. Please :)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Scrappiness

I just knew if I came over to Scrap Girls I'd find some info on tablets. I'm very interested in taking a class on using a graphics tablet. I have a Wacom Graphire and haven't really got it working for me yet. Anyone, know if the class is scheduled yet? I read the newsletters but may have missed an announcement. Thanks so much for all the great information here.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my Wacaom tablet today! 6x8 Intuos. I've got it installed and tried it out. I can really see the possibilities, but it is gonna take some time to get used to it and train my brain to use it. But I am pretty sure I am gonna love it!!!!

..Congrats on your tablet!

I have the Intuos3 and I'm not a pro at it but it sure is fun!

Does anyone else with a tablet find that it possibly is interfering with your mouse......particularly the scroll wheel?

Ever since I've installed my tablet, my scroll bar (side bar) just goes crazy....up and down....up and down....on its own!!!!!!

Anybody else????

It's just awful....it's making me crazy........!!!!!

I have the Wacom Graphire and I LOOOOVVVVEEE it! I use it for everything- it hurts my wrist a lot less than the mouse. Family isn't so crazy about it- they still use the mouse, but I am totally hooked!!!!!

I have that one too. Is it the one before they came out with the bamboo fun? I got mine about a yr ago and am really loving it for doing extractions and using those awesome dynamic brushes. Mine is small 6x6 tablet. The intious which is bigger and has alot more functions is basically for artsy stuff. Once I get better at using the program I may look into those. I think when you move up to those you have a different pen tips and angles to choose from. The Graphire is awesome to because I can use my own handwirting on my layouts. I love that.

chris

I haven't had that problem, but I think it's messing with the bluetooth that I have. (The keyboard & mouse ) I have to keep installing them for some reason.

I'm going crazy.

It's almost impossible to work on anything. My screen goes up and down whenever it feels like it......in a jerky motion......sometimes I lose things I've done because it brings itself to another screen.

Ideas?

Should I try un-installing Wacom? and re-install it? See how it works w/o the tablet?

I don't even know if it is the tablet....I should actually post this somewhere else, huh?

Glad to have found this thread... Had NO IDEA about the class, must have been while we were travelling.

I have a Graphire, but have only taken to using it with my laptop. I know that I am so underutilizing it that I would love the class to jump start me into getting the most from it! With all the great dynamic brushes out there...

I don't get "cold hand", I get "the CLAW"! When I am doing long stints of photo restoration and concentrating so hard with the death grip on the mouse, my hand gets into a permanent cramp and shaped like "zee claw". (zee claw will get you!)

I'll be watching for the classes! Thanks for the heads up!

Mothers Day & my birthday re both coming up. Ive hinted to ods that I would love to have one of these. I'm sure that he will be getting a hold of yds to see if he wants to go in on it with them. Are they that expensive? He said that he did some quotes for someone but never told me the price of them.

I guess I should ck. Best Buy.

I believe Wacom's start at $79 (Bamboo), and go up from there. The Bamboo Fun is currently $99. You can visit the Wacom website for more information. They have each model listed with pricing.

Costco.com's prices are a little better than this.

Gayle

• 3 weeks later...

Great thread, I am on my 2nd tablet...LOVE LOVE LOVE Wacom!!! Started with the Graphire and recently upgraded to the Cintiq 12W.. They're both amazing. My advice to those that still feel awkward, is to practice and play around. They are worth every penny!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest vanillasky43

DH brought me a Wacom Bamboo as an early birthday present, I got it yesterday and have been having a play with it. (Helps that my hips are injured and I can't walk at the moment!) I put the mouse in a different room and decided to create a LO. Still feels a bit strange, and I keep trying to use the pen like the mouse (with that sweeping motion to move the cursor), but I'm getting better at it. Looking forward to taking a class.

Here's the Layout - http://scrapgirls.com.ipbhost.com/index.ph...i&img=57892

Leanne

Haha Cystal you weren't kidding when you said you were going to the store right now huh lol

I did some layouts for my mother a few weeks ago and was getting frustrated she wanted me to replace the background in a picture with a better one. They were my sisters boyfriends grad pictures taken in her living room and she wanted them to be outside near some trees or something. I was getting so angry and frustrated i complained that a wacom would do the trick and lo and behold she told me to go get her credit card and go buy one!

I'm telling you its the BEST present my mother has ever gotten me. I use the pen almost all the time now.

After reading this thread i finally realized what the "other end" of the pen was ... duh an eraser! who knew I thought it was just decoration to make the pen look more penish LOL ... total blonde moment i suppose.

It does deffinitly take some getting used to that's for sure but the amount of detail, how accurate it is... its AMAZING!

I too would be interested in taking that class! I hope its offered again soon. I keep looking for a class that would catch my interest... I've seen a few but always miss the deadlines LOL

I am having such a GREAT time with it! I adapted easily. My DH, who is an IT tech and lives and breaths by his laptop, doesn't like it so much. He can't let go of the mouse drag concept and he keeps recentering his hand, which of course brings the pointer to the middle of the screen when he really wants to be near the end LOL! I think that is the biggest adjustment right there.

I used it for 12 hours at a crop on Saturday and it was just so comfortable!

I just LOVE how I can change the size of my brush simply by adjusting the pressure on the pen. I was doing some detail work and trying to get in real close to an object in my photo. It was EASY! It was a joy not to have to keep adjust brush sizes. Yes, I know I could use the keyboard shortcut, but with the Wacom I didn't have to AT ALL!

• 1 month later...

I love you guys. I bought a little Bamboo Fun in April and it's been sitting in my laptop bag all lonely. You have inspired me to break it out and learn how to use it...I am using my stupid finger pad and it makes me super angry sometimes. The things we do to ourselves... :giggle_bear:

• 2 weeks later...

I am so glad I found this thread!

I absolutely LOVE my Wacom Bamboo Fun tablet! I've gotten so used to the pen that I don't even use the mouse anymore; I use the pen for everything!

I am still trying to figure out how to use it to get my handwriting as my journaling on my layouts. Unfortunately my grandma went in to the hospital the first day of the class and I wasnt able to take it. I hope to be able to take the next one whenever there is one.

Kimberly

Archived