Anyone With A Wacom Tablet!

Guest dwebmaiden

Guest dwebmaiden

I was considering the purchase of a Wacom tablet because I thought that it may help me with photo-editing in Photoshop Elements. My main use would be for tracing around photos to "cut out", erase or invert the background.

Do these tablets allow you to use the pen in place of the mouse when using the selection brush tool??

If the tablet would meet my needs, which one do you recommend?

I saw the Wacom bamboo fun in a magazine. Another question -- As far as size goes, if I enlarged a photo to 12X12 size and wanted to erase the background, would a smaller tablet be able to select around the whole photo or would I need a 12X12 size tablet?? In other words, does the tablet area have to be the same size as the photo I am working on?

Any help, suggestions or comments are welcomed - this is my Mother's Day present and I want to be sure to get the right one!! Thanks in advance.

dwebmaiden

I have a Wacom. I love it. I think I use it often enough that it's worth it for me! It is so much more accurate and precise when erasing or tracing... I also love that I can use it to do my own handwriting as journaling...

Yes, you can use the pen instead of a mouse, though it is a little hard to get used to because it uses a different method of placement than your mouse does... It also has a button on the side of it that acts as your "right click" button. I know this is nice in CS3 because you can adjust your brush settings with a right click, so its just a nice little shortcut.

I actually have the Bamboo Fun, and I think mine is the 4x6 and I basically use it for the same things you would use it for, and it seems to be plenty big. No it doesn't have to be the same size, because it adjusts itself to be the size of your screen, so to speak. If you went to the very bottom edge of your tablet with the pen, it would go to that relative position on your screen. It is kind of confusing to understand until you play around with it, but I know that Wacom sends out a really good tutorial to get you more comfortable with using it.

Unless you are going to do some serious graphic stuff with it, you are fine with the Bamboo fun. I think they make two sizes, but I have the smaller one and I don't seem to think its too small at all. That was one of my biggest worries when I bought it, but like I said, once you play with it, a lightbulb will click, and you'll understand how it works better.

They really are super fun! I love mine!!!

Chelsea,

I have a Bamboo Fun, too, a 4x6. I cannot figure out how to use my handwriting instead of type when I want to journal on a LO. How do you do it? I also bought mine to extract images, but can't figure out how to do this either. doh!

Chelsea I have just finished a great class with Katherine Weaver.If you get the chance take it.There is so much you can do.I only had a cheap tablet but on the strength of that class my new Wacom arrives very soon.Yippee.

Katherine advised that the Bamboo range was fine for hobbyists meaning the Bamboo Fun or the next size up.I have opted for the Bamboo Medium (or some call it the large) It has an active work area of approx 8x5 I believe.The class memebers who had the Bamboo Fun were more than happy with it

If Katherine reads this she will be more than happy to advise I am sure.You could PM her

HTH

I am very interested in this string. I have a Wacom tablet - one of the smaller sizes. I was advised by a member of the design team (I think it was Erica) that it wasn't necessary to have a great big one and now that i've had it, I can see that. My problem is that I just don't take time to practice with it. Too busy. I keep saying, "Someday."

I probably ought to take Katherine's class myself.

I have found that it works super in Illustrator - doesn't feel as clunky for me as in Photoshop. But I am also so good at mousing that its hard to give that up. However, when i read how much people love theirs, I think I need to get busy and learn how to use mine better.

too much to do... too little time to do it all... that's my problem...

I have a 12x12 that I'm selling if anyone is interested. DH bought me the wacom monitor for Christmas and I will never use another tablet. The monitor ROCKS!

If you are just starting, I'd say that you don't need the larger tablet. For sure, a 6x8 or a 9x12 will do...but I wouldn't get anything smaller. And you need to play with it. If it has the programable buttons, for sure program them. One if mine is programed to save so after I do something different to my layout I just hit that button. In fact, my left hand is always on it.

Theresa, what a good idea to program a button to save. I might have to look into that.

I love my tablet. It's just the small Bamboo fun, but I find it so much easier to control than a mouse. Whenever I'm doing detail work, or doodling, or anything that involves some degree of precision, I definitely use my pen. One of the best things that I've heard is to put your mouse away. It is different to use a tablet, and it is a little strange at first, but if you force yourself to use your pen, pretty soon you won't ever want to go back. I have to hide my pen or it goes wandering (my wonderful 2 yo!), so I often grab the mouse when I first sit down. It doesn't take long before I'm looking for the pen - it's only been about a month, but it's already starting to feel more "right" than the mouse.

Beth,

If you know how to use a brush tool in PS or whatever software you are using with your wacom. You know how to do handwriting... :) Catch what I'm throwin? lol... I simply choose a small round brush, or if you like the idea of it looking like a bold point marker, you can use something that would give the chisel point look.. anyway, yeah I just create a new layer, and start writing with my brush wherever I like it to be on my LO. Does that help? Go give it a try... I think it'll work for ya!

Could'nt work without mine!

I've used two - the larger A4 one I got a few years ago, but now, due to limited desk space, I use the Wacom Graphire Classic (a 4x6 model)

The advantage is that the small one has a few programmable buttons that I use for zooming in and out and saving.

I tend to use the larger one with the laptop on location, I find the bigger size easier to hand hold, like an artists pad!

Equally happy with either! You'll never go back!

Hugs :clapping_kitty:

Mothers Day & my birthday re both coming up. Ive hinted to ods that I would love to have one of these. I'm sure that he will be getting a hold of yds to see if he wants to go in on it with them. Are they that expensive? He said that he did some quotes for someone but never told me the price of them.

I guess I should ck. Best Buy.

When will Katherine be having another wacom tablet class? I am sure there is so much I can do with it, I just have to play. Thanks Chelsea, I will try it as a brush. I was trying as text. Now, oh! I wonder if the problem is that I am using Windows XP 2000, which may not be set up for handwriting recognition??? I hear vista is, but is xp??? Hmmm....Thoughts?

I love mine! I had been wanting one for years, and I finally got it for Christmas. I got the Wacom Intuos 3 and it's wonderful! When I'm making my own doodles and drawing it is so helpful! It's been fun to use my own handwriting too, but like many others mentioned I just need to pick up that pen more often. :)

ttfn

Guest dwebmaiden

I sent a PM to Katherine and this is her reply!!

"Hi!

The first Wacom class was held on the 14th and 22nd. We'll have the class again, though I'm not sure exactly when. I'll also be offering an intermediate Wacom class in the next few weeks. You can watch the daily newsletter for new class postings.

Oh, and you can also message Jan at Jan@scrapgirls.com (the SG University Principal), and let her know you're interested.

Cheers,

Katherine"

I have one & bamboo fun & I love it use it often & it does ease up the cold hand syndrom (sp) i get when i st here to long...i love mine...will get class tho just beacuse a mind is a terrible thing to waste & anytime you can learn something for the cost of classes here why not!!

Go for it I say!!

Caren

Hi everyone!

I was told that I needed to come and read this thread, so here I am! :D

Since there does seem to be quite a demand for this class, we will hold it again sooner than usual. We usually wait about 12 weeks in between classes, but we'll repeat this one in 8 weeks. So keep your eyes on the Newsletter for it to be repeated in about two months. :)

I had a Graphire and loved it. But a cat chewed the cord and it stopped working. I wrote to Wacom and asked if the cord could be replaced. They wrote back that they're phasing out the Graphire and had no more cords in stock.

It's being replaced by the Bamboo and the Bamboo Fun...which are two different beasts. If you read the back of the boxes, only one is recommended for drawing (which, of course, at this time I can't remember which it was, lol). And the sensitivity of the pen is only 512 versus over 1,000 for the Graphire.

Anyway, the Wacom person I was talking to did not recommend I go buy a Bamboo. Instead, she told me to go to PCMall.com and buy a refurbished Graphire for $39.99. She told me it comes with the exact same warranty as a brand new one. So I took her advice and ordered it yesterday. I got a notice this morning that it had already shipped.

Lori

I have one & bamboo fun & I love it use it often & it does ease up the cold hand syndrom (sp) i get when i st here to long...i love mine...will get class tho just beacuse a mind is a terrible thing to waste & anytime you can learn something for the cost of classes here why not!!

Go for it I say!!

Caren

Cold Hand Syndrome?Caren I get this and never knew others did.I was blaming my own circulation but I suppose it makes sense, sitting too long in that position would affect anyones circulation.I am glad I can't blame this on just getting older lol.Does anyone else get this?

My Graphire arrived yesterday. I ordered it Thursday and it arrived on Monday, wow.

I can't tell that it's not new, it's in an original box, all sealed up; the disks are in sealed envelopes, no scratches or dents or anything to say it's not new. There is a sticker on it saying it's refurbished but also stating it gets a "new" warranty of one year. I plugged it in and all works fine. I'm happy with it and especially the price.

Lori

I have the Bamboo Fun small tablet and I too am so in LOVE with it! Previously I was scrapping w/my laptop's mouse pad because my wireless mouse stopped working. Can you say finger burn!!! So, I wouldn't scrap as much or try as many new things because I'd wear my finger pads off. So my creativity has been less inhibited w/the tablet. It did take some getting used to, but if I can do it, then anyone can do it because I was so against it at first. I agree w/the advice to hide the mouse. The tut that comes w/the tablet is great and also if you read Digital Scrapbooking magazine, there was an article in there all about the pen...believe it's titled "The Pen is Mightier than the Mouse." And I completely agree lol. Oh, and as far as the Bamboo Fun being more limited--I tend to think of it like full PS and then the 'lite' PSE. You can essentially do the same things w/the Bamboo Fun and you'll never notice the difference if you're just a general user but if you're looking for more bells and whistles and options and levels of pressure sensitivity then you may want to go w/one of Wacom's fuller options.

another happy tablet user here. My first one was a huge great full size....you'd think you need it but you don't and boy can you say shoulder ache?

I have a graphire now which I love....sorry to hear that they are no longer available

Yes, you can use the pen instead of a mouse. In fact, it makes selections a lot easier since holding a pen is often times more natural-feeling than cradling a mouse. It doesn't matter what size layout you're working on, any graphics tablet (no matter the size) will accommodate your needs.

All Wacom models are excellent. I have the Bamboo Fun Small, and love it! If you think you'll use the mouse a lot with your tablet, I recommend the larger size (6" x 8"). I don't use the mouse that came with my tablet though, as I still use my regular pc mouse. However, you can also surf the web with the pen (which is what I do when my wrist gets tired).

When will Katherine be having another wacom tablet class? I am sure there is so much I can do with it, I just have to play. Thanks Chelsea, I will try it as a brush. I was trying as text. Now, oh! I wonder if the problem is that I am using Windows XP 2000, which may not be set up for handwriting recognition??? I hear vista is, but is xp??? Hmmm....Thoughts?

I believe we can repeat classes once a quarter, though I'm not sure what time frame Jan had in mind for repeating my first Wacom class. For those reading this thread, you may email Jan@scrapgirls.com to let her know you're interested in the 1st Wacom Class.

I hope to post a 2nd Wacom class soon, focusing on Photo Restoration. Though having the basics down from the 1st class (Kitchen Kreations With Wacom Bamboo) would be helpful.

Hope everyone's enjoying their graphics tablets. I just couldn't live without mine. :)

Mothers Day & my birthday re both coming up. Ive hinted to ods that I would love to have one of these. I'm sure that he will be getting a hold of yds to see if he wants to go in on it with them. Are they that expensive? He said that he did some quotes for someone but never told me the price of them.

I guess I should ck. Best Buy.

I believe Wacom's start at $79 (Bamboo), and go up from there. The Bamboo Fun is currently $99. You can visit the Wacom website for more information. They have each model listed with pricing.

Go for it I say!!

Caren

Cold Hand Syndrome?Caren I get this and never knew others did.I was blaming my own circulation but I suppose it makes sense, sitting too long in that position would affect anyones circulation.I am glad I can't blame this on just getting older lol.Does anyone else get this?

Mmmm, I'm not sure what Cold Hand Syndrome is- but when I've been mousing too long, my palm gets numb.

I had a Graphire and loved it. But a cat chewed the cord and it stopped working. I wrote to Wacom and asked if the cord could be replaced. They wrote back that they're phasing out the Graphire and had no more cords in stock.

It's being replaced by the Bamboo and the Bamboo Fun...which are two different beasts. If you read the back of the boxes, only one is recommended for drawing (which, of course, at this time I can't remember which it was, lol). And the sensitivity of the pen is only 512 versus over 1,000 for the Graphire.

Anyway, the Wacom person I was talking to did not recommend I go buy a Bamboo. Instead, she told me to go to PCMall.com and buy a refurbished Graphire for $39.99. She told me it comes with the exact same warranty as a brand new one. So I took her advice and ordered it yesterday. I got a notice this morning that it had already shipped.

Lori

Would the cord for the Graphire BT (Blue Tooth) not match your Graphire? The Graphire 4 has been phased out, but I believe Wacom still manufactures the Graphire BT.

Archived