Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mimes1

Desk Top Ehd Or Portable Ehd?

I have filled up both of my internal HD!!! I currently have a single EHD to back up the internal HD's. I am having virtual memory problems because the HD's are maxed out. What I want to do is add RAM to my computer, and eliminate files. Before I do that, I want to back up my EHD with another EHD. I am trying to decide if I want another desk top EHD, or a portable EHD.

Eventually I guess I could have an additional desktop EHD as well as a portable EHD but for right now I need to choose one or other. I have never deleted ANY files from my internal HD, and doing so freaks me out!! I need speed, and space, my computer is all jammed up right now and I feel a sense of urgency to open space before my computer can't think at all anymore.

What do you all think about a portable EHD over a desktop EHD? Are they as reliable? Anyone have problems with the portable?Or should I just get an additional desktop EHD and use a thumb drive or DVD's to carry files around? (Like to Utah in October???)

Thanks for your help,

Ive only had my portable EHD for a short time so maybe I'm not the best one to answer this. I did however take it on a trip and it was great that you can just pick it up and go. The desktop ones are quite a bit larger so I dont think it would be as easy. Plus you have to have room for a larger one in your work area. I have all of my scrapping things on my ehd and none on my ihd. I think it runs a lot nicer that way. Plus I burn back ups quite often just in case. Sounds like you have a big decision ahead of you, I hope you figure out what is right for you.

amy, i happen to have both. i initially purchased a desktop EHD (relies on electrical power) and moved all my scrapping supplies to it. it freed up on laptop and it was necessary. i burn dvds of all my zip files each month and i use mozy to back up both my laptop and my ehd. now that i had all my supplies on the EHD, i found that it was not at all helpful for scrapping away from home. so, i purchased a small portable that powers with a USB port. it also contains all my supplies, plus some newsletter tutorials, etc. to help me if i'm away from home or on vaca. i just love this set up. so, that being said, my two cents would be to vote for a portable, back up all files to dvds and delete them from your computer hard drive, and back up automatically with an online company.