Ehd Crashing!

so, haven't been on the boards much over the past few days because i have been having computer issues. i have all my scrapping supplies and photos on a western digital my book pro 500GB EHD (that i love, btw). all of the sudden, everything on the ehd appeared to disappear while i was working on a layout. when i would open "my computer," the drive still showed my ehd, but when i would double click to see the contents of the ehd, it was empty. at first, i think i stopped breathing. then, i calmed down and checked properties. it still showed that there was memory being used and what was available so i knew the files were still there. i disconnected the ehd, unplugged it, plugged it back in and all my files reappeared. felt a little relief, but that only lasted for a short time. i started an immediate backup with mozy to make sure it had my latest files and, wouldn't you know...it wouldn't complete a back up. plus, all my files disappeared again. argh!

luckily (thanks to ro!!), i also have another portable ehd that i use to back up this ehd with. so, between the mozy online backup plan i have and the additional ehd, i think i have everything saved. i have been negligent in burning dvds, but that's gonna change. i contacted western digital tech support this afternoon and am running an extended diagnostic that just popped up with a window while i was writing this that reads "TOO MANY BAD SECTORS!" the ehd has a 3 year warranty, so they will send me a new one. i just want to say a BIG THANK YOU to Ro for all her advice. I tried to follow most of it and i think i'll come away with almost all my data intact. so, a word to the wise, back up, back up, back up, everyone!

going to call tech support now with the sad results of my diagnostic test!

yup, you're right, april! it is covered by the company. they are sending me a new ehd within 3-5 business days and i have 30 days to return this one. i think i may have someone try to recover everything off this before i send it. makes me nervous just having the one copy on my other portable ehd. would the geek squad at best buy be able to do that?

so, haven't been on the boards much over the past few days because i have been having computer issues. i have all my scrapping supplies and photos on a western digital my book pro 500GB EHD (that i love, btw). all of the sudden, everything on the ehd appeared to disappear while i was working on a layout. when i would open "my computer," the drive still showed my ehd, but when i would double click to see the contents of the ehd, it was empty. at first, i think i stopped breathing. then, i calmed down and checked properties. it still showed that there was memory being used and what was available so i knew the files were still there. i disconnected the ehd, unplugged it, plugged it back in and all my files reappeared. felt a little relief, but that only lasted for a short time. i started an immediate backup with mozy to make sure it had my latest files and, wouldn't you know...it wouldn't complete a back up. plus, all my files disappeared again. argh!

luckily (thanks to ro!!), i also have another portable ehd that i use to back up this ehd with. so, between the mozy online backup plan i have and the additional ehd, i think i have everything saved. i have been negligent in burning dvds, but that's gonna change. i contacted western digital tech support this afternoon and am running an extended diagnostic that just popped up with a window while i was writing this that reads "TOO MANY BAD SECTORS!" the ehd has a 3 year warranty, so they will send me a new one. i just want to say a BIG THANK YOU to Ro for all her advice. I tried to follow most of it and i think i'll come away with almost all my data intact. so, a word to the wise, back up, back up, back up, everyone!

going to call tech support now with the sad results of my diagnostic test!

just saw this post as it related to my mozy problems mb.... now i know why there havent been anymore of your beautiful wedding lo posted in the gallery...i have really really enjoyed them and look for them. i just figured like all of us life got busy and you hadnt time to do any or post any more but now i know what you must've been going thru....painful stuff....i have been obsessed with getting mozy fixed and finally it is working...after a week of live support and starting over each time with a new techie and unistalling and reinstalling they finally said this is serious and they are going to have someone call me...(i had tried to speak to someone on phone a few days ago but they said that is only for promozy ...i begged, even said i would pay...i was a desparate women..lol) and once i spoke on phone and the guy was great and when he looked at my errors he was explaining something that triggered in me the fact that i had a few files that were wierd, photoshop would say it couldnt save but it did save, but then i couldnt open the folder, but i could see the file inside the folder, and the folder said zero properties even though the psd file was inside. when i told him that he said that is it...the corrupt file names are driving mozy crazy it cant read and doesnt6 know what to do so he would have a programmer clean the manifest of the corrupt names and i re configured to not have mozy backing them up ( i just have mozy back up everything on my ehd) and it is now back and running. he also told me what he thinks i need to do to clean out the corrupt files...i asked him to email this to me so i could understand it and share it with a computer guy. and also since i had posted about mozy problems on several scrapping sites i was contacted via email by someone from pr at mozy.... they too were very nice and understanding ( they are in pr thats their job..lol) and they have given me a free year...yahoo! i am glad your ehd and mozy is resolved. i had a crash of my ehd...thats what got me to go to mozy ... i did retrieve all my info from ehd but what a pain..my crash was because accidently dh used the plug for the LT in the EHD...oh dear, don't ever do that...lol... for whatever reason my computer guy recommends seagate only for ehd ( and he doesnt work for them..lol) so that is what i have now.... glad you are back to normal and look forward to seeing your marvelous lo. i have said it before but you have a great eye for design and color. have a nice day

thank you for the kind word, bobbie! yea, i wanna just have fun and scrap!! but...me thinks i must continue to be a "good girl" and do the responsible thing which, in this case, is burning dvds...that's the plan for today. also, still, having error messages from mozy--initial attempt to backup everything that i restored failed last night...will probably have to contact them again (argh). i'm so happy that your 'puter issues seem to be resolved...will watch for more of your engagement pages!

thank you for the kind word, bobbie! yea, i wanna just have fun and scrap!! but...me thinks i must continue to be a "good girl" and do the responsible thing which, in this case, is burning dvds...that's the plan for today. also, still, having error messages from mozy--initial attempt to backup everything that i restored failed last night...will probably have to contact them again (argh). i'm so happy that your 'puter issues seem to be resolved...will watch for more of your engagement pages!

i can give you the name and phone number of the guy in pr if you want in case you want to call him to see if he can get techies to help you in any more efficient manner

My family thinks I'm nuts _ I have 2 EHD and Mozy and I still burn

once a month to a dvd - and then keep the dvd at my sister's home.

It is definitely worth it for the peace of mind I get!

I'm glad you can save your files!!!

might take you up on the offer, bobbie. still burning dvds. i'll pm you if i feel the need. thank you so much!

how is the backup going? did you get mozy working? i am at 21 % ...this is going to take awhile i guess but at least it seems it is working.... keep me posted or pm me

argh!! no bobbie, still having issues! i have completed burning dvds of my supplies and LOs, but behind on my photos.

anyway, have started the backup for the umpteenth time...seems to have mozy error codes that stop it...the only time it continued for any length of time was last night and in the middle of the night windows decided to download an update that required an automatic restart of my computer (and i thought i had chosen to see and okay all updates before they occurred in my preferences)...so, wouldn't you know, that stopped my mozy backup!!

have moved my laptop right next to my router in hopes that the "excellent signal strength" will somehow help. was babysitting my grandson all day, so just getting back to the situation. if it isn't successfully backing up by tomorrow, i'm getting back in touch with tech support. i should say that it has backed up about 20GB of my over 100GB of files so far.

thanks for thinking of me!

I have so many people that think I'm obsessed with backups. Working on a Macbook Pro, have everything on a portable EHD and not my HD... and then backed up to two more EHDs. Can't get into the DVD thing -- wish I could and praying I don't get burned. My problem is that my one EHD is my primary Digi-Scrappin' drive. When I'm in my office everything backs up automatically to my desktop EHD through Time Machine. But I keep forgetting to back up to the third EHD. It's just sooooo scary to think about losing everything! Argh!

Archived