Can You Help Me With Moving Files To Ehd

I am sorry to be so dim....but I want to clarify this before I push the "button".....

ok here goes.....I know this has been covered but I still am confused...

I have windows vista, pse6 and an EHD that is backed up by Mozy...I want to move all my organizer stuff to my EHD and work off of that.....my problem is I am unsure how to do that since I do not want any disconnected files and want to set it up to work off of there from now on....I also understand the concept of "moving files IN organizer" but don't really know how to move all my files like this ??? Do I open my organizer up with my folder view(in organizer) and select 'mydocs/PSE/organizer backup' (this is where I keep my organizer stuff in my WINDOWS my docs file) and click on 'file/copy-move to removable disk' ????????

thank you to any that can break it down on a basic level......I will snatch myself bald if I have to re tag and re do all this stuff...I appreciate any and all advice

thank you so much for any help....

debbie

First, welcome to Scrap Girls!

I have done this in PSe 5, but not sure if it's exactly the same in PSE 6. To move things within your Organizer so you don't break any of your file links, go into the Organizer. Highlight all of the files that you want to move. I prefer to work in small batches when doing this, otherwise it takes a VERY long time. Then go File>Move Files (I think that's what it says, but might be slightly different). Then, you'll need to navigate to the new destination out on the EHD that you want the files moved to, then finish with the move.

HOpe that helps and feel free to let us know if you have any other questions!

First, welcome to Scrap Girls!

I have done this in PSe 5, but not sure if it's exactly the same in PSE 6. To move things within your Organizer so you don't break any of your file links, go into the Organizer. Highlight all of the files that you want to move. I prefer to work in small batches when doing this, otherwise it takes a VERY long time. Then go File>Move Files (I think that's what it says, but might be slightly different). Then, you'll need to navigate to the new destination out on the EHD that you want the files moved to, then finish with the move.

HOpe that helps and feel free to let us know if you have any other questions!

Thank you so very much for your help....I considered doing that but thought my organizer would disappear...but I guess what you're saying is then I will just go to my organizer on my EHD when creating my pages....??! which is what I asked for huh ??!! Hah Hah....I know the organizer holds the many elements , but has the link to them where ever you downloaded them, right ?? so I was thinking that was I was going to have to move my organizer original files to the Ehd ?? do I sound confusing....? anyway, I am clear now on what to do....

I appreciate your help....! and will follow your directions :-D

debbie

Yes, all the Organizer does is hold a link to the actual place where you have the file stored. So, if you move the file without "telling" the Organizer, next time you go to use it, it won't be able to find it and you'll get the broken link icon. It's a HUGE pain to have to go in and reconnect everything. Trust me, I learned the hard way!!

Hope that makes sense, let me know if you have any issues!

Archived