Paper Templates - Wow!

Guest ScrappySue

Boy do I feel stupid! LOL! VALARIE.... I really do know your name and who you are! This is why I should not be on the computer making comments to things with no sleep, and children throwing temper tantrums in the background. I origionally had written Valarie then in my foggy, tired, befuddled mind I thought wait? Valarie that's not her name it's varanda.... Duh.... switched it varanda, over valarie.... thinking I had saved it and me from making a fool of myself.... oh well:) Did it again. That should have been a sign right then to crawl back in bed and try and get some sleep. Too bad kids don't let that happen huh! :) my origional thought.... great work VALARIE!:) LOL

No problem, Shalae! It was Hummie that seemed a bit confused, so I just wanted to clarify things. Hope you got some rest, though.

Here's another example, girls. This one is for Bree's (Ditzyscrap) December Challenge, using Numbers. I used numbers and altered one Scrap Simple Paper Template pattern three ways:
[url="http://scrapgirls.com.ipbhost.com/index.php?act=module&module=gallery&cmd=si&img=4533"]1,2,3[/url]

LOL...I know...I'm always confused....but at least I had remember it was Valerie when I purchased the kit so I could give her credit....so now I've got her screen name straight now too so I know it's her when I see it.

Okay, Valerie, how did you do the pink one in the middle?
I've played with the leaves one already too....it was fun...it doesn't always look like leaves which is cool.

If you want to PM me your e-mail address...I can e-mail you the first layout I did with your templates. It has other relatives in it, so I don't think they would like me posting it in galleries. But at least you can see your templates being used by someone else.

[quote name='varanda' date='Dec 1 2005, 12:22 PM']No problem, Shalae! It was Hummie that seemed a bit confused, so I just wanted to clarify things. Hope you got some rest, though.

Here's another example, girls. This one is for Bree's (Ditzyscrap) December Challenge, using Numbers. I used numbers and altered one Scrap Simple Paper Template pattern three ways:
[url="http://scrapgirls.com.ipbhost.com/index.php?act=module&module=gallery&cmd=si&img=4533"]1,2,3[/url]
[right][post="28712"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Oh, I added one of my type templates on top. I did a pattern in the background, used the photocopy filter on the leaves, then i think i added another filter---poster edges?, then grouped all the layers together and added a canvas texture. I never remember what I do---i just play and wished I remembered, lol.

I'll PM you my email address. Would love to see what you are up to. You know, you can always add a fuzzy overlay on top of faces to obscure them, if you ever want to post in the gallery.

I finally got to play with the Scrap Simple Templates today...WHAT FUN!! I am in love with these thing and all the different options you can come up with!

Here's the layout I did [url="http://scrapgirls.com.ipbhost.com/index.php?act=module&module=gallery&cmd=si&img=4534"]Almost 4[/url]

TFL
Angie

Okay, love these things and bought a bunch of them. I do fine with the basics but have not managed to combine two of them. Can someone help? Thanks!

If you are using either Photoshop or Elements, open 2 paper templates at once. Then drag one template on top of the other. Each template will then be on its own layer and you can add effects to each of them, or merge the layers and add an effect to both at once.

Remember---make sure you SAVE AS so you don't ruin your original template.

(Or open a new document at 12x12 300 dpi, drag Template 1 onto the new doc, then Template 2, use Move Tool, select Template holding right mouse key down and simply drag template into New doc, then align edge to edge.)

Valerie and Mandy can probably give you much better advice than I can, hopefully they will chime in. ;)

This is what I [i]usually[/i] do:
With PNG format templates, I create clipping masks (in PSE) using colors complimentary to my background (layer the template over your BG, create new layer over template, fill with color, press CTRL G), and I continue doing that until I get the look I want. To adjust the opacity or the blending mode, you will have to activate the template layer rather than the color layer.

Basically, I just play with them and have fun.

Edited to say: Oops! We posted at the same time. I knew Valerie would give good advice! :)

I received a question about using the colour variation tool in Photoshop, so I thought I'd post the answer here as well. Someone was wondering why the colour variation tool didn't seem to make a difference.....and it's because on some of the all black images, it won't, black won't change but grey scale patterns will.

Here's the details:
Using the colour variations tool works best on templates which are in a grey scale range. If the template pattern is black, then use the colour overlay tool which is found in Layer/Layer Style/Colour Overlay.

A new window will pop up and the default will be red. Double click on the red box to pull up the colour picker paleete and select a new colour. You can adjust the opacity of the color there as well, but since the pattern is black, it will make the colour sheerer over the black...make sense? You can also change the colour to white or grey or whatever you want and leave the opacity alone....

You do want to add a [b]base layer[/b] in another colour. Either contrast or monochrome. You can also merge these two layers together and then use the colour variation tool to adjust colour.

I made a sample to show you. I'm not saying these colours are great, but it shows the technique, and you can go further still.

Hope that helps!

[quote name='Kindred Spirit' date='Dec 8 2005, 11:52 AM']I agree! Isn't it fun?

:party-smiley-048:
[right][post="29070"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
Hi! I use elements 3- I don't see Color overlay under layer styles. Am I just not seeing it or is there another options for elements users.
Nina

Hi Nina,

If you look right above your layers on the right, you'll see a little drop down list - the blending modes - that will probably say "normal". Click the arrow then scroll down to "overlay". I had never used this at all until Valerie explained it in her template directions. Play around with all the options in the blending modes - you'll be amazed!

Hope this helps!

Hey Nina, you're right, there isn't one in PSE. It's a little more complicated and I've been going through their help menu to see if I could find a shortcut---which I haven't yet, so maybe someone else will chime in here, I don't use this program as much as I use PS.

This is what I did to change the colour of a black pattern. I clicked on the black parts of the pattern using the magic wand tool, (7th tool down from the bottom). Then I used the Paint bucket to fill the black areas. (Make sure that you have selected a colour you want in the colour picker, the very last square in the tool bar on the left). That technique worked well for patterns like Crepe.

But for patterns like in Beccy, I clicked on the transparent area and then went to Select/Inverse then I went to Layer/New fill Layer/Solid Colour. This only works if you make sure that all the transparent areas have those "marching ant lines" active before you select the inverse....

I also tried going into the Styles and Effects palette and finding Layer Styles and Patterns, by applying a pattern, like denim, I was able to change the colour to blue. then I duplicated the layer, linked the two together to get rid of the effect, AND MERGED THEM (Cntrl E) thereby making the program think the pattern was blue. THEN, I was able to go into the colour variation tool to adjust the colour to more red or more green-----

Try these different methods and see what results you can achieve!
v

(Sorry I wrote this fast, it's a busy day, if you need clarification, let me know)

[quote name='varanda' date='Dec 12 2005, 12:26 PM']Hey Nina, you're right, there isn't one in PSE. It's a little more complicated and I've been going through their help menu to see if I could find a shortcut---which I haven't yet, so maybe someone else will chime in here, I don't use this program as much as I use PS.

This is what I did to change the colour of a black pattern. I clicked on the black parts of the pattern using the magic wand tool, (7th tool down from the bottom). Then I used the Paint bucket to fill the black areas. (Make sure that you have selected a colour you want in the colour picker, the very last square in the tool bar on the left). That technique worked well for patterns like Crepe.

But for patterns like in Beccy, I clicked on the transparent area and then went to Select/Inverse then I went to Layer/New fill Layer/Solid Colour. This only works if you make sure that all the transparent areas have those "marching ant lines" active before you select the inverse....

I also tried going into the Styles and Effects palette and finding Layer Styles and Patterns, by applying a pattern, like denim, I was able to change the colour to blue. then I duplicated the layer, linked the two together to get rid of the effect, AND MERGED THEM (Cntrl E) thereby making the program think the pattern was blue. THEN, I was able to go into the colour variation tool to adjust the colour to more red or more green-----

Try these different methods and see what results you can achieve!
v

(Sorry I wrote this fast, it's a busy day, if you need clarification, let me know)
[right][post="29213"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Thank you so much!!!! I will try tonight!
Nina

I use Elements 3 and maybe I can help.

To change a template from black to another color (provided it is a transparent png and not a jpg), you can simply hold down the control key and click with your mouse on the layer of your template in the layers palette to get the marching ants.

Then, as Valerie explained, you can use the paintbucket to fill it with the foreground color. You can also go to Edit/Fill Selection to fill it with the foreground color, background color, etc.

If you want to get a jean material look on your selection, as Valerie suggests, rather than searching for a layer style to download, you can also simply open up a background paper or element that is jean material and use the rectangular selection tool to make a small square. Then go to Edit/Define Pattern from Selection. The next step would be to make sure your template layer with the marching ants on it is the active layer, then go to Edit/Fill Selection and choose to use a pattern and choose the pattern you just created in the drop down menu. You can do this with any background you currently have on your computer. I just did it with a flowery paper and it made a cool look on Valerie's dashed template.

Of course, as Valerie stated, if you want to fill in the background around your template, rather than the template itself, simply go to the Selection drop down menu and Inverse your selection before you fill it.

I hope this helps you and my directions are clearer than mud! If you need help, I'm subscribed to this thread and hopefully can answer you quickly.

Thanks, Hummie, good ideas. I get a bit spoiled with Photoshop CS2, but try to fin alternative ways in Elements, I actually like both programs.

I have 3 new paper templates up: [url="http://www.scrapgirls.com/store/product.php?id=1901&cat="]Gifts[/url], which is great for holidays and parties in general, [url="http://www.scrapgirls.com/store/product.php?id=1902&cat="]Paint[/url], which is wonderful for distressing and [url="http://www.scrapgirls.com/store/product.php?id=1903&cat="]Paisley[/url].

Hope you have fun with them!

[quote name='varanda' date='Dec 14 2005, 07:08 PM']Thanks, Hummie, good ideas. I get a bit spoiled with Photoshop CS2, but try to fin alternative ways in Elements, I actually like both programs.

I have 3 new paper templates up: [url="http://www.scrapgirls.com/store/product.php?id=1901&cat="]Gifts[/url], which is great for holidays and parties in general, [url="http://www.scrapgirls.com/store/product.php?id=1902&cat="]Paint[/url], which is wonderful for distressing and [url="http://www.scrapgirls.com/store/product.php?id=1903&cat="]Paisley[/url].

[right][post="29382"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

LOL...you are making them faster than I can afford them! That paint one is nice, but I have to get some of the others first! LOL! Like the plaid one I really want still.

I'm trying to teach myself how to make some of these for myself too because I'm so poor. I have a question, how do you get the png files so small after you make them? With other background paper people make, they change the compression on the jpg's to make the files smaller for sharing. But you cannot change the compression on the png's. Do you just use a lower than 300 pixels since the pixels are determined by the new document and not by the template itself?

I made one and shared it at [url="http://www.pagesofstufftoshare.homestead.com/SMILE.html"]This Page[/url], but I had to share it as a jpg because the png's were just too big. Of course, I'm still gonna buy more of yours because I don't have the time to make too many! LOL! But I still love learning new things. I want to eventually have a bunch of these on my hard drive to play with and delete most of the other freebie backgrounds I have taking up so much space on my computer! Who needs one of every color in something! LOL! I've been trying to tell people about your templates!

No, mine are all 300 dpi.

I do most of my work in Illustrator. I have used that program longer than any other, and I'm an illustrator, so it makes sense to me. I draw all my paisleys, flowers, etc. And when making the illustrated images in Illustrator, then creating the pattern and then importing it into Photoshop, they don't take up as much space.

They do start taking up more space when I start using grey scales, and then they really get huge if I do a lot of work in Photoshop. I try to keep them small, by the time you start adding filters, they'll just get big naturally.

I downloaded your paper share, I'll go unzip it, actually tomorrow, as I have a deadline I'm supposed to meet today, lol!

Thanks for spreading the word! :2468who-do-we-appreciate:

Okay, well...that one I did used several filters and is in greyscale, so maybe that is it. I will play around with using black only to see if that makes a difference. That is probably it.

Meanwhile, tonight, I've been playing with making a wreath to share. I had a horrible time getting the pine needles....I took photos of real pine needles and then could not get the white background out. I gave up and took photos of a branch on my Christmas tree...lol....and I have some berries, pinecones, and acorns I've added to the wreath. I hope to get it up on that site for downloading tomorrow. I'm waiting for comments and suggested changes before I finalize it.

Then I'll have to play around with the template thing with black only to see what I can come up with.

Thanks for answering my question. This thread is getting some helpful instructions in it, so maybe I should put a link on my site to this thread.

Wow! This thread is full of such great information. I love creating paper templates but not as proficient as Valerie LOL I've just bought PSE 3 so I know how to use it and will be able to answer more customers questions who use PSE 3. Very grateful for all the technical info shared here already. I'm a manic Photoshop user and have been for years but also use Illustrator and Corel's Painter for creating my designs. Going to try and use PSE3 more for doing the actual layouts though.

Anyway, just wanted to say how great this thread is and am bowled over with the high standard of creativity here!! Fantastic!

[quote name='varanda' date='Dec 14 2005, 07:08 PM']Thanks, Hummie, good ideas. I get a bit spoiled with Photoshop CS2, but try to fin alternative ways in Elements, I actually like both programs.

[right][post="29382"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Thanks for everyones help!!!! I actually have CS2 and elements... but somehow I get intimidated everytime I open CS2 --- so I go back to elements where I am more comfortable. Perhaps I should just make the leap.... Gotta go buy those paisleys!
Nina

• 2 weeks later...
I was naughty and bought the plaid templates!!! :breakdance:
Take a look! I had so much fun with them. Still am. I love plaid!!!! (I sure hope I am spelling that right. :bedtime: )
[url="http://http://scrapgirls.com.ipbhost.com/index.php?act=module&module=gallery&cmd=si&img=4766"]Woods' Family Resolutions[/url]

Archived