Shadows

scrappydo

Can anyone tell me if there are any tutorials out there on the effective use of shadows? I have just finished a two page lay out of my grandparents that I'm extememly proud of, but they definitely look flat!

I've used shadows in the past to a very limited degree because I'm not quite sure how to place them for the best effect.

Thanks, in advance!

Guest ScrappySue
In Ro's ScrapGirls University, if I remember correctly, one of the parts covers drop shadows. I am sure Ro will put you right if I am wrong on this!

Hope this is some help, I am sure the gals here will know more as I am fairly new here!! Good luck!

The key, I find, to using shadows is to remember to do it on each 3D item, and do more or less about the same amount. And not too much shadow, or it looks 3 inches off the paper. You can change the amount of darkness of the shadow, too, I rarely use the default shadow.

Ro's Secrets books are GREAT! I'm sure there's more indepth info in there for you.

HTH!

I hosted a crop and learn class several months ago here at SG on shadowing... maybe it's time to have one again? :)

I also wrote a tutorial some time ago addressing shadows and texture in digital scapbooking which may be helpful. You can find it [url="http://cbdigitaldesigns.com/reality_check.html"]here[/url]

• 10 months later...
[quote name='Ro' post='27779' date='Nov 19 2005, 01:19 PM']Yes - if you go to the University, one of the free movies covers the basics of shadowing. I go into it in much more depth in the Scrapbook Secrets training programs.[/quote]

I have been trying to follow the tutorial on realistic drop shadows for PSE. I duplicated the layer, moved it below the original layer. Then the instructions say: "Right click on the Layer 1 copy thumbnail and click Select Layer Transparency. This will put "marching ants" around your notebook paper. What we want to do is "fill" this layer with a dark blue that is the same shade of our background but darker." When I right click I do not find "Select Layer Transparency." I am using PSE 4.

I thought I was probably just tired and overlooking something (which I may still be doing). Came back to it this morning fresh and I still don't find that option. Is there somewhere else I can find "select layer transparency"? thank you.

No, they took the capability out of PSE 4, unfortunately. I've gotten around that by selecting in some other way, such as using my magic wand tool or using my marquis tool to select the area I want and then doing Edit > Fill. It doesn't work as well, or as easily, but it is something you can do.

HTH!

[quote name='QueenShakeNBake' post='61842' date='Oct 5 2006, 06:52 AM'][quote name='Ro' post='27779' date='Nov 19 2005, 01:19 PM']
Yes - if you go to the University, one of the free movies covers the basics of shadowing. I go into it in much more depth in the Scrapbook Secrets training programs.[/quote]

I have been trying to follow the tutorial on realistic drop shadows for PSE. I duplicated the layer, moved it below the original layer. Then the instructions say: "Right click on the Layer 1 copy thumbnail and click Select Layer Transparency. This will put "marching ants" around your notebook paper. What we want to do is "fill" this layer with a dark blue that is the same shade of our background but darker." When I right click I do not find "Select Layer Transparency." I am using PSE 4.

I thought I was probably just tired and overlooking something (which I may still be doing). Came back to it this morning fresh and I still don't find that option. Is there somewhere else I can find "select layer transparency"? thank you.
[/quote]

What "selecting layer transparency" really means is selecting what is on the layer and this can be done with any layer. To do it, hold down control and click on the thumbnail of the image on the Layers Palette. This will put the "marching ants" around whatever is on that layer.

Guest Sharebear57
Why aren't you just using "drop shadow" under layerstyles and then just changing the distance? Because it isn't realistic enough? I have never heard of any of these techniques you are all talking about; i've just always done it that way.... Are these other ways a lot better?

Archived