Video Editing Software

I'm hoping you can all help. About 11 months ago, my DH and I bought a digital camcorder. Well, we've been using it all this time and I'm finally trying to get some of our video off the camera and onto DVDs (and of course edited :). I'm considering purchasing some of the video editing software from Adobe (cause I LOVE photoshop so much).

Can anyone tell me about the functionality of the following:

Adobe Premier

Adobe After Effects

Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended (this apparently has video editing capabilities).

I'm trying to figure out if all I need is Extended or if getting one of the CS Suite packages (which would also give me Illustrator) is the better way to go. I used Illustrator briefly in the past (version 8). Never used it enough to get REALLY comfortable with it but will admit creating vector art using the pen was easier in Illustrator.

I think I will be able to get the education price point on any of the above so trying to figure out the best way to go before making the purchase.

I know video isn't really what SG is about but you all are always so very helpful I thought I'd try here first before trying to find some video editing groups to see what they can tell me.

Thanks a bunch!

Denise

Wish I could help you. I need to get my digital video stuff edited and on DVD as well. I am a Mac girl and I know I can do it with iDVD and iMovie but I think it will kill the memory on my computer. Both my laptop and desktop are so full. (I need a new computer!). I can't wait to see if other people have any of the programs you mentioned. I always like to know what the latest and greatest thing is :-)

I do video editing. Unfortunately I use Media Studio Pro, which is by Ulead and is being phased out as far as I know. I like the software because it is what I was trained on and all I know. I've heard a lot of people use Premier and this will be my next step when I can afford it (after I get CS3 of course, priorities!)

I'm MAC and LOVE iMovie and iDVD... but before those programs took the leap they did... I used Final Cut Express. I had Final Cut Pro... but Final Cut Express was actually easier to use. I only stopped using it because iMovie stepped up to such a terrific level. My recommendation (and it probably won't be the popular one) -- but BUY A MAC! Everything is so much simpler on a MAC. But if you can't do that, I did really like Final Cut Express and it was pretty user friendly.

Archived