Backing Up Help!

What is the best way to back up your scrappy files? Download them as ZIP onto a DVD? Download the unZipped files to a DVD? I'm so confused. I just went through re-downloading a buttload of scrappy-ness after my computer was wiped.

Help?

Monica

DVDs are all very nice, but I could never keep up with all the new downloads, or the new layouts that I seem to be creating at a rapid clip digitally. I really tried, but it was one more thing on my list of "things to do". Another problem with DVDs is that unless you are storing them with a friend in another part of the country, your DVD backups are at risk of being lost just as much as your computer in the event of a catastrophe (fire, flood, theft, etc.) No one thinks this stuff will happen to them....

Seriously look into an on-line backup service. Carbonite and Mozy seem to be the ones used most commonly by the members of this board. Both are cheap...about 5$ a month, and automatic. Neither was hard to set up and use for me, although some people seem to run into problems that eventually get straightened out. Both take a LONG time for the initial upload (Mozy much longer than Carbonite) but then are barely noticeable after that as they back up any new stuff you add. Carbonite does not yet do external hard drives, but Mozy does, so keep that in mind if you have an EHD.

I used Carbonite for a year, but had to switch to Mozy in order to backup my EHD, which eventually had all my digital elements and layouts. Its slower than Carbonite overall, but I was able to twiddle the custom settings to the point where it does its job and I never even notice it.

Best wishes,

Cathy T.

I've got the Carbonite, and I really am pleased with it. I copy my stuff from my EHD to the duplicate folder I have on my reg drive every other week or more, depending what I've bought so it gets backed up,they keep 30 days back worth so, I'm good for catching everything :)

This will probably sound kind of stupid, but my biggest concern is my computer freaking out and having to be wiped (as has happened twice since December- and it's just 1.5 years old! Sheesh!). Natural disasters are awful, I know, and they happen here (in the last 5 months, my sister and I have been shoved in the bathtub at least as many times, probably more, for tornado warnings). Considering, however, I'd probably have to get a new computer too in case of natural disaster, I think my scrappy files, sadly, would be the least of my concerns.

Monica

monica, you really should have more than one system of backing up! ro has been writing about that lately in the newsletters. and take it from experience that burning dvd/cds is really necessary. i have online backup (mozy) and 2 ehds and i nearly lost everything 2 weeks ago in spite of those safety mechanisms (long story)...i am now diligently catching up on my dvd burning! there are many threads on the subject around here and plenty of members who will be able to assist you with any questions you might have. whatever you decide, best of luck to you!

Just my two cents worth.

It is better to have more than one kind of backup. I recently had my hard drive

crash and had to send in my laptop to have it replaced. I have been copying my

zips to DVD and also my folders.

I spent all weekend trying to get Carbonite to work.

It installs but I kept getting messages that it could not access their server. Even after

they sent me an email telling me to install in Safe Mode. That didn't work. Anyway it is

probably just a glitch with a firewall. I then tried the trial of Mozy and it worked fine.

But today I went out and also bought a EHD just to be safe. It is your choice but consider

having more than one. I would suggest trying the Trial version of Carbonite and/or Mozy first.

You can then opt to purchase it. I really wanted Carbonite but it just doesn't seem to be in the plan.

I am discussing this with them and please understand it probably is something on my end with a firewall or

something although I did disable it and my virus program.

Hope this helps. I know how devastating it can be to lose things and they are gone forever!

Good Luck in which ever you choose. Just consider more than one to be safe.

I understand it is good to have more than one backup method. Right now, DVDs are just my most economical method. I download the ZIP files onto DVDs. Hopefully, I can get my Mom to dish out $5 or so a month to get me an account at Carbonite. We've both lost massive amounts of data at different times to computers frying due to various things. Our first crash was full-blown- nothing recoverable. The second was a semi-failure, data was able to be extracted, but it had to be wiped after extraction. More recently, my computer has been sent in to be worked on twice in the last 6 months and came back to me wiped. A EHD just isn't a possibility right now financially, and I understand they fry easily too. I back up all of my pictures to Snapfish immediately upon downloading them to my computer, because we've had cases of major losses of photos (thankfully not of those of our China trip to get Reese a year ago- they were all safely on Snapfish). If Snapfish ever fails we're screwed, but all the other photo storage sites just aren't up to par with Snapfish in our books (even Shutterfly, which we've used as well), and I take too many pictures to be constantly disking them. It'd almost be a part time job in and of itself. LOL.

Hopefully, Carbonite will be in my future.

Monica

Archived