Declutter Challenge

Guest babydoll37

OK I am very new, only done 1 LO. I have went and downloaded alot of freebies from alot of places. and how do you organize, I have made folders for kits, one for papers, embellistments, then folder from certain websites, so I need a better way to do this I have know clue, please help!!!! :(( Also how do you organize in the program (PSE 6) when I hit organizer in the program I can see all my pics but thats it. So as you can see I need major help. Also I have 2 laptops one needs to be dump of a bunch of junk, and my new one is getting full from everything. So I thought about making one for just scrapbooking only, 1 has vista and 1 is windows xp what do you think I should do? Thanks for the help and sorry for all the questions, I feel a little stupid :(

Also when I do a layout how do you list it (the credits) say I do one that I got from scrapgirls how do I do it. Also I need to know when when you dowload them when you save them how do you label it do you just put say a persons name from what company or do you just put the company or just the name of the collection. I dont know how to label them on my computer either, so I can give proper credit

Oh, this is SOOOOO the thread I needed to read today, ladies! I'm glad it was bumped up. I've been bemoaning my "getting rid" of stuff lately, because WHAT IF I WILL NEED IT? I have a huge folder for SG stuff --- I'm not even considering throwing any of that out --- BUT I have as much stuff (all combined) from lots of other great sites -- some I LOVE, but some I just don't really care that much for..... but what if I need it? What if?!?!?! Isn't that just nuts? I did a huge backup the other day onto My Book EHD - I want a Passport desperately - so it's all good and backed up, if I ever need it.... so, I keep telling myself just to DELETE! Delete, delete.... but what if I want fast access to it? What IF!!? Argh. The stress!!

I'm going to go and delete a few files!!! Watch me go!! Thanks for the motivation!

{but what if I will want it?}

Oh, I love the idea of deleting the things that aren't my taste - and leaving the stuff I do like. BTW.

:)

Well, I finally moved a whole bunch of digi stuff, non-SG, over to my EHD even though it backs up my C: Drive, I just felt better moving the files rather than just deleting them off of my HD. Then after I moved them, I went back to my HD and "deleted" all of the stuff. I kept all of SG digi collections on my HD and that gets backed up to both my EHD and Carbonite on a regular basis. My CD isn't working well these days. I can write to a CD, but not a DVD. Don't know what or when that happened, but it did. Then after everything is copied to the CD, my CD door won't open. I have to reboot for the door to close. Needless to say I stopped writing to my CD. Bummer!

So, now I depend on Carbonite and my EHD for backup. My only problem with Carbonite is that if you delete something from your HD, then it gets deleted from their server after about 30 days. Is there another service that will keep your stuff even after you delete it? I've heard about Mozy and was wondering if that keeps everything forever. Does anyone know?

I also moved most of my photos over to my EHD. I kept the photos that are in my Kodak EashShare software on my HD and everything else moved to my EHD. Next I think I might move my Webshots photos over to my EHD, but I'm not sure if that will work. Need to check in with Webshots help section to see if that can be done.

So far, I have opened up about 30GB of room on my HD. Amazing, simply bloody amazing. I didn't realize that I had "that" much stuff on my HD. Thank goodness that I bought a 750GB EHD, or else I'd be in big trouble.

I look at it this way, at least it's not all Paper Scrapping stuff....... YIKES!

:dancing_penguin:

• 3 weeks later...

It doesn't take much for me to have to do this constantly! My drive is 18.6GB, I know!! So my graphics file is about 16 and I'm constantly going through each file type and purging the items I really won't use (thought I might when I first saved it), those items that I've already used (I don't like to duplicate), and items that snuck in during a late night unzipping session ;-)

When I get more space hopefully I'll reorganize some files and get more creative with what I store! Right now I use what I have mostly "as is", like I sort my backgrounds by color. Isn't that silly when png files can be recolored? Someday...

It doesn't take much for me to have to do this constantly! My drive is 18.6GB, I know!! So my graphics file is about 16 and I'm constantly going through each file type and purging the items I really won't use (thought I might when I first saved it), those items that I've already used (I don't like to duplicate), and items that snuck in during a late night unzipping session ;-)

When I get more space hopefully I'll reorganize some files and get more creative with what I store! Right now I use what I have mostly "as is", like I sort my backgrounds by color. Isn't that silly when png files can be recolored? Someday...

yeah, isn't that silly? Before I knew what I was doing I bought a bunch of duplicate items in various colors, not realizing I could color any one of them any color I'd like.

• 3 weeks later...

I usually purge my files at the time of tagging them which is often not at the same time as the downloading and unzipping (I download way more than I can keep up with the tagging). Often I look at something I downloaded (because it was free) and then think "Do I really need this?" or "Will I really use this?". If the answer is "probably not" then I don't bother tagging it in ACDSee and just delete it instead. No point in investing all that time on something I probably won't use.

I also browse through my files from time to time, purging some of the things I've had for a long time and never used (or that I no longer like/feel like I'll use).

When I started digi I collected everything, but now with over 20GB stuff I'm getting much more picky about what I download/buy.

Archived