Aperature - Worth It?

Michele Chew

Hello,

I'm a mac user getting ready to get an iMac. I was wondering if anyone can offer advice as to whether it's worth it to upgrade to Aperature. I'm new to digital scrapping - husband gave me PSE 4 for Christmas and I'm still trying to figure it out. Will having Aperature help in the organization of photos, digital scrapping templates, etc.? My initial attempts on using templates hasn't gone smoothly, so anything that make learning easier - I'll take.

Thanks for your time.

Michele

I'm on a PC so I'm afraid I'm not much help....there area alot of MAC users here so I'm sure you'll have a good answer soon. I did just want to WELCOME you to Scrap Girls! You'll love it here and I can't wait to see your LO's start popping up in the gallery!! :D

I am a long time Mac user but have never used Aperture. I use PSE4 and CS3. It is my understanding that aperture is a more professional version of iPhoto. It will help you with organization and fixing photos (color balance, etc.) I don't think you can really scrap with it though. I could be wrong but most Mac users here use PSE or Photoshop. I am sure some other Mac users will weigh in soon.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Michele,

I am an avid Mac fan, and I adore the iwork and ilife packages, but I must say, don't buy Aperture. We just bought it thinking it was something like Photoshop, and its not. You can do basic things to photos - then they save to the Aperture library where you have to hunt them down to find your corrected version. You cannot do digital scrapbooking on it. It is basically a bigger version on iphoto. I was very disappointed. It's Ok for organising photos if you have tonnes of stuff, but otherwise, I wish we hadn't spent the money.

Hello,

I'm a mac user getting ready to get an iMac. I was wondering if anyone can offer advice as to whether it's worth it to upgrade to Aperature. I'm new to digital scrapping - husband gave me PSE 4 for Christmas and I'm still trying to figure it out. Will having Aperature help in the organization of photos, digital scrapping templates, etc.? My initial attempts on using templates hasn't gone smoothly, so anything that make learning easier - I'll take.

Thanks for your time.

Michele

• 2 weeks later...

I have a mac and I use Lightroom (which I had with my previous PC before I jumped ship), which is Adobes equal to Aperture. It's purpose is more for workflow for photographers vs scrapping or just organizing. It does simple nondestructive editing. It can print and organize, keyword, etc. If you just want to organize your photos, or scrap them, it's not what you're looking for. Better off with iPhoto and ps or elements. Good luck and enjoy your mac!

Archived