Help With Color Changer Tool

Bride

I purchased MRE_SSPaper_Downtown and have been trying to recolor them according to the “learning center” on PSP XI using the color changer and I can’t seem to get it to work. The steps I follow are:

• Open /copy / new image the sspaper of choice.
  • Set material palette foreground/stroke to the new color I want it to be
  • Select color changer tool
  • Click on the black area that I want to color.

I get the hourglass icon that it is trying to do something but then the color changer tool reappears and my image is not changed. I have tried various things, wondering if the psp learning center “assumes” I know things and don’t include them in directions. Like, I have had the background fill properties black or tried other colors … no change; I have selected color changer tool prior to selecting color … no change; selected color prior to selecting changer tool … no change. What am I missing?

Its black... i cant figure out why, but the color changer does not work with black. These are your options

You can do the clipping mask thing, put a paper on top of it, select the black area, click on the paper and choose (either delete (i think thats Dee's shortcut) or right click and pick promote to layer.

Or

You can go to Hue and Saturation. I believe you have to click on the "colorize"... play with hue and saturation.

Or

Select the black area, then create a new layer and fill on the new layer...

Anyways... sorry i dont have more detail, program is not on this machine.

Angela

oh btw,

color changer, from what i could tell, assumes you have a color first, with highlights, shadows etc... it works that way.

If its black, its all shadow, so it cant really color change it... does that make sense?

Angela

Yes, it does make sense ... although confusing somewhat. A friend who has psp x can change it with no hitches, thus we were frustrated with my program last night.

I had tried the masking and it ends up looking as if I used the flood fill tool which just looks like someone swabbed a glob of paint on the background. What I am doing ... not sure if this is right, but it works, is, I loaded it as a brush. I then open a new layer and brush on the color I want, then I resize it to the 12x12 and copy/paste it to the paper I want it on.

When I have more time I'll have to play with the color changer on a color. Thanks for your response and help, Angela ... I appreciate you!

In Xi, for some reason I will never, ever, understand, they used the exact same icon (the blue and green circles with an arrow) for two very similar named tools....the color replacer tool and the color changer tool. One is grouped with all the retouch tools and the other is grouped with the flood fill tool. One works the way you expect it to, the other does not. I can't tell you how many times I've had a brain cramp and picked one when I wanted the other and then sat there wondering what in the world was going on and why this wasn't working right. Any chance that's what happening here?

Lori

Interesting you should say that...I'll have to look at that when I get my X1 copy. In the meantime I have discovered a solution in PSP 9. Select all, float, defloat and then go to hue/saturation, click on (it gives two options one which is hue/saturation and the other which is color something something) and you click on the second option then it shows up with something that looks like a color wheel. You can change the color to white or grey which is what I've been doing, then once you do that you can go back and do an overlay in the color you want with the paint bucket and set it to overlay or multiply if you want that one with a reduced setting not at 100%. I've discovered that works for me especially with the new black frames and words in the June monthly kit. I just learned this earlier on Monday this week.

I agree that the color changer doesn't like to change black. But, I've also had trouble if the layer I'm trying to change is "background" instead of "raster".

What about using layer blending modes to recolor your template? Sometimes when masking doesn't work for me, blending modes do work. (and vice versa)

Archived