Oh My I Got Myself In A Pinch Yesterday !

Okay, i got a email from Windows telling me to update my NEW laptop's security ! So, I went to this site they directed me to and I downloaded the "Windows One Care" ! I got it all on my computer backed everything up and started up my CS3 and it wouldn't worked !! I spent all day on this problem, when I needed to be finishing my DH"s Fathers Day gift ! I was beside myself. At about 5pm, I said, "I'm deleting that #%*@^& thing from my laptop and in that process a survey popped up asking if it interfered with my programs, " YOu're darn right it did !!!! Well by 8pm, I was up and running Thank Goodness ! I was up til 3am working on his gift and I"m not quite done , I think I'll have it done today, although we have alot going on !!

I just thought I would post this just in case someone out there who may have gotten a similar alert !!!

Sorry to hear about your computer problems! Don't you just hate it when you trust these things that pop up on our computer screens?! Glad you got it fixed though - and good luck on getting your DH's father's day deeds done as well.

Thanks for letting us know!

Oh my goodness, MaryJo! Was this an on-the-level email from Microsoft? They usually don't do things likie that, do they? Are you sure it wasn't really from someplace else.

Not long ago, my neighbor's son got something telling him he needed to download stuff and he got all kinds of wicked things going on with his computer - viruses, the whole thing.

I'm sorry your day was upset! Hope everything is going all right now.

Thats just odd. I have windows one care. Have had it since that really bad crash in october.... It has been a great program on my computer and i have yet to have another virus or backdoor on my computer.

I guess sometimes that just happens. A program can just conflict sometimes.

I would suggest that anytime you update anything other than a "windows" update, that you create a restore point first. That way you can go back easily to your settings if things go bad!

Angela

Yes Sarah, it was most definitely a real update, it came through on my HP Total Care that clears everything ! I think it has happened before only because of the survey, unless they all have those survey's if you uninstall something like that.

You know Angela, After I got done with all that mess, I realized that I did have a restore point and I do have Carbonite !!! Talk about feeling foolish !!! lol

Hi Debbie, I am making him his own 8x8in scrapbook to take with him when he travels. He compained last week that he doesn't have any photos of all of us when he's on the road and that he'd like to have some!! So, I thought an 8x8 would be perfect ! I've gotten 2LO's done this morning! WooHoo

• 2 months later...

What a bummer! I have noticed too that sometimes when I get a message that a download is available that I think very carefully before I commit to it. I shouldn't have to be that way but I ran into a problem once downloading an update for my Airport (I use a Mac) and suddenly NOTHING worked. I did everything I knew to do and finally had to call my computer guru which was expensive but he got it fixed for me - Now I think twice about upgrades and I never do one when I am in the middle of a layout. Too risky.

Sorry you had such a problem.....

Archived