Which Acdsee Do You Use Or Recommend?

My PSE 4 organizer has given up on me yet again and I really don't feel like starting again from more or less scratch in PSE 5 orgainizer. (Some of my products just don't retain their tags) I see lots of you recommed ACDSee and I've been to their site (sale on!!!) I've downloaded both the free trials but wondered which you currently use - Both seem so strange to me as I'm used to the PSE organiser. Any comments or general advice is welcome.

Duh! Discovered that you can alter the desktop appearance to be darker or lighter. Been having a play with version 10 (because its cheaper & means I can spend more at SG). Seems to be OK at the moment and some of my PSE organised files have embedded info I can use to help resort. Think I'm starting to like it actually.

It took me a day of exploring ACDSee Photo Manager before I began to think I might like it! I'm still not convinced. I'm considering Picasa too, or even just well organized files on my hard drive. But what I love about those two organizers, which I don't think is possible in Photoshop Organizer, is that you can search for keywords in captions and filenames. It's amazingly fast! And so much easier (for me) to caption than to do tags. I do captions anyway, most of the time.

It took me a day of exploring ACDSee Photo Manager before I began to think I might like it! I'm still not convinced. I'm considering Picasa too, or even just well organized files on my hard drive. But what I love about those two organizers, which I don't think is possible in Photoshop Organizer, is that you can search for keywords in captions and filenames. It's amazingly fast! And so much easier (for me) to caption than to do tags. I do captions anyway, most of the time.

I recently switched from PSE4 to ACDSee for the same reasons you and Amy did. I am very happy with it, and have even managed to synch it in my WD passport to work one database between the 2 computers. All the digi files are already tagged, last night I started tagging photos. Lots of fun!

Anyway, I suspect you will find it is a little more permanent and versatile than the PSE4 organizer.

• 2 weeks later...

I use the pro version. I'm not sure of all the differences but the main reason I use pro is that it has the ability to write the tags/captions/author to all the organized files in one go. You just can't do this in the regular version 10. In version 10 you have to you have to write the tags etc one folder at a time. This means that if you ever want to switch programs or search using another program, as a version 10 user you have a huge amount of work to do.

• 3 weeks later...

The main difference is that Pro does RAW processing so if you're not planning to do a bunch of processing of RAW format pics from a DSLR then you don't need Pro so much. It has more advanced photo editing capabilities too...like histogram and stuff...basically what you can already do in Photoshop (not sure about elements though.) Here's a page that explains it better than I can. HTH!

Kristi

Archived