Mozy, Ehd Driving Me Nuts!

Hi Everyone,

Since I maxed out my internal hard drive, I invested in not one but 2 EHD's. I got the little wd passport as my main place for stuff, which is being backed up by a very large Seagate, which does auto backups. I decided to give Mozy a try, to back up the back up, and I have had nothing but trouble.

The Mozy and the Seagate seem to not like each other. I have had mozy since June 6th, and so far have only successfully backed up 11.5 GB! I have 150 GB total to back up, and more coming. Whats more, now the Seagate is whacking out the processes in my desktop, and is running at anywhere from 60 - 100% of the CPU...and I have it in suspend all backups!! What's that all about?

The customer service at Mozy has been good, but they asked me to send them a file with very clear path to find it, and it's not there. I told them that, they gave me a new download, and it's still not there.

I tried to do a repair on the Seagate software, and it won't let me because there is another "installation" in process. Which there isn't, because the EHD is turned off, and backups are suspended. I sure don't know where it is, if there is another installation going on.

I started catching up on burning DVD's this morning, (should be scrapping, after all my challenge was picked for this past Friday's customer challenge and I haven't even gotten it done because this all is messing up my system ...Wah!! :angry: ).

I checked with Carbonite, and they are thinking that they MIGHT have external hard drive back up capabilities by the end of the year. I am thinking of cancelling Mozy and asking for my $$ back, wiping out the Seagate EHD, try removing the Seagate software and starting over, back up everything again to the seagate after Mozy is off my system. and waiting for Carbonite. And burn DVD's like crazy.

Does anyone remember what Ro said about DVD-R vs DVD+R? One was supposed to last longer than the other, and I don't remember which was which.

Any comments, opinions, suggestions, moral support?? I am very frustrated about all of this and I want my system back so I can scrap!!! (And I want security of back up!) :dunno::mad-at-computer:

Thanks,

Amy

UPDATE: I cancelled Mozy!! I deleted the whole darn program right off my system. I don't even care if I don't get my $$ back, although according to their TOU I should. I did everything according to what their tech support suggested, which was very nice, by the way, I was more than patient, but I'm done with this! It just isn't doing what it is supposed to. I will wait for Carbonite - I will see if it's not too late to retrieve my data from them. If so, then I'll take my chances with DVD and my 2 EHD's for backing up. Whew. Thanks for listening. I feel better now.

Hi Amy, I am using Mozy to back up everything and I am not having those same problems as you. I don't have a Seagate but a Western Digital. The only problem with mine is it is taking FOREVER to back up (I think that's normal) and when somebody calls on Vonage I have to cancel the backup or else the call cuts out a lot (Vonage runs through the modem.) I hope you get it figured out. Maybe you don't have enough Ram or else maybe there's a problem with your EXHD? Good luck getting the problem solved, I know how frustrating it can be when you want your stuff safely backed up...

Hi Amy, I am using Mozy to back up everything and I am not having those same problems as you. I don't have a Seagate but a Western Digital. The only problem with mine is it is taking FOREVER to back up (I think that's normal) and when somebody calls on Vonage I have to cancel the backup or else the call cuts out a lot (Vonage runs through the modem.) I hope you get it figured out. Maybe you don't have enough Ram or else maybe there's a problem with your EXHD? Good luck getting the problem solved, I know how frustrating it can be when you want your stuff safely backed up...

OOHHH - you just gave me an idea. The Seagate is set to do auto backups on the WD passport. Maybe what I need to do is have Mozy back up the WD, and not back up the auto backup. Maybe that's where the incompatibility lies.

What I would have would be double backup on the WD.

For some reason for me, the auto backup does not work, but when I back up manually it works. I dont mind pressing the manual button every morning as long as it gets downloaded by the end of the day. I am sorry you are having a problem. I wish there was something I could do. Let us know how it all turns out.

Hmmm.... very perplexing. I have a seagate EHD and mozy and haven't had any problems other than it every now and then not backing up automatically (but like Tracey all I have to do is push the button and it goes without a hitch).

I use Norton 360 to back up my internal HD to the seagate and then have Mozy back up both the internal AND the ehd (so technically I have 2 copies of my EHD and 3 copies of my internal).

Are you running programs from your EHD? Sounded like it from your post. I'm wondering if that could be the cause of your problem. When I first got my EHD I was warned not to put programs on it because A - it potentially violates license agreements (you COULD then move the ehd from computer to computer thereby 'installing' software on more than one), and B - the programs will most likely run much slower cause their being accessed over a usb port.

The way I have my system set up is to have all programs on my internal HD, I have my photos and music and other things on the EHD and move what I want to scrap back and forth (copy the photos I'm currently scrapping to the internal, scrap them, then move everything back to the ehd). For now I'm keeping my digi scrapbook supplies on my internal and copied on my ehd cause it fits but soon it probably won't fit and I'll either get a bigger internal or start moving my lesser used supplies to the ehd. I try and keep them on the internal cause that way if I want to move the laptop and scrap somewhere else I don't have to haul the ehd with me as well as the laptop.

The only thing I'm backing up to mozy are my data files (not my programs). Unless you get Acronis (and I know nothing about it other than what Ro has said), I think backing up your program files is not worth the time or space because you'd have to reinstall them on a new machine anyway to have the registries updated correctly.

Hope this helps.

For some reason for me, the auto backup does not work, but when I back up manually it works. I dont mind pressing the manual button every morning as long as it gets downloaded by the end of the day. I am sorry you are having a problem. I wish there was something I could do. Let us know how it all turns out.

Tracey,

Here's a screen shot of my settings. Check to see if the box is checked on the one I have circled. I was having the same problem and Tech support told me to make sure that is checked and it has been working fine and starting by its self.

hth

Chris

hi amy! I'm afraid to tell you that I have been experiencing the same problems as you have. I have tried all the fixes mentioned in the above posts, spoken with tech support numerous times, and nothing has helped. I have all my programs on my ihd, all my scrap supplies and photos on a wd ehd. I also back up onto a Maxtor ehd frequently. I have 80+GB of files to be backed up. 50GB are on my ehd. No matter how I start (auto or manual) the backup, it ends in Mozy Server Error Messages.

I've used Mozy for quite some time and never experienced any problems until recently. I had an Western Digital ehd crash. It was replaced by WD and I recovered all my files with my Maxtor ehd--Mozy, for some unknown reason, did not have all my files (don't ask!). So, I needed to do an intital backup again. For several weeks, the back up would fail. Finally, for whatever reason, the connection to Mozy was successful and over a period of about a week it backed everything up. I was so relieved! I had it set on a scheduled auto backup (something I will never do again after I get through the present difficulties), but someone had unplugged my ehd, and when the auto backup began Mozy only backed up my ihd--I was back to square one! For almost a month now, I have been unsuccessfully trying to back up my data. So far I have 9GB out of 50GB on the ehd! Totally, frustrating! Tech support told me that they have done everything they can and that they are working on the Mozy Server issues. I was to send a report to them via email and they would contact me when they find a fix--not much help!!! I'm frustrated to no end, not to mention that my computer moves so S-L-O-W-L-Y (because I have Mozy constantly running). Although the customer service reps and tech support has been very polite, I have had no resolution to my problems! So that's my sad tale...I will be elated when Carbonite backs up ehds!

hi amy! I'm afraid to tell you that I have been experiencing the same problems as you have. I have tried all the fixes mentioned in the above posts, spoken with tech support numerous times, and nothing has helped. I have all my programs on my ihd, all my scrap supplies and photos on a wd ehd. I also back up onto a Maxtor ehd frequently. I have 80+GB of files to be backed up. 50GB are on my ehd. No matter how I start (auto or manual) the backup, it ends in Mozy Server Error Messages.

I've used Mozy for quite some time and never experienced any problems until recently. I had an Western Digital ehd crash. It was replaced by WD and I recovered all my files with my Maxtor ehd--Mozy, for some unknown reason, did not have all my files (don't ask!). So, I needed to do an intital backup again. For several weeks, the back up would fail. Finally, for whatever reason, the connection to Mozy was successful and over a period of about a week it backed everything up. I was so relieved! I had it set on a scheduled auto backup (something I will never do again after I get through the present difficulties), but someone had unplugged my ehd, and when the auto backup began Mozy only backed up my ihd--I was back to square one! For almost a month now, I have been unsuccessfully trying to back up my data. So far I have 9GB out of 50GB on the ehd! Totally, frustrating! Tech support told me that they have done everything they can and that they are working on the Mozy Server issues. I was to send a report to them via email and they would contact me when they find a fix--not much help!!! I'm frustrated to no end, not to mention that my computer moves so S-L-O-W-L-Y (because I have Mozy constantly running). Although the customer service reps and tech support has been very polite, I have had no resolution to my problems! So that's my sad tale...I will be elated when Carbonite backs up ehds!

Thanks all - I have program files on the EHD for the presets and nothing else. I guess I could take that off. I will check on the mozy options and see if that box is checked. But overall, I am inclined to bail on Mozy and take my chances with DVD backup and go back to trusting my Seagate which never gave me any problems until mozy came along.

I guess I feel validated hearing that several others of you are having trouble with mozy. I'd much rather be spending my time scrapping and chatting that feeling frustrated over back up. My family is not happy with how slow the computer is running.

I will definitly go back to Carbonite when they offer EHD backup.

• 1 month later...

I am having the same/similar problems with Mozy and my 2 EHD. I have had ONE successful backup with them in the past several months. I got an email from them yesterday telling me they found the problem on their end and to try again. I tried again and NOTHING! I am going to cancel service with them too. I also checked into Carbonite but I would have to put everything on the internal HD and I don't know what I want to do that.

I have to agree that their tech support people are very nice and helpful...and usually very quick to get back with me. For some reason I'm just not having any luck getting backups done.

Tabitha

Im sorry you all are having such problems! That's a bummer! I've had mozy for some time now and it has behaved perfectly backing up my whole computer and external with no problems! The initial back up took about a week and it has backed up the new stuff every night since.

It really gave me piece of mind when our house was recently broken in to, they didn't take the desk top or my external, but what if they had? It's so nice to know that all my important data is backed up off site.

I hope you find a solution that works for you soon! :D

Im sorry you all are having such problems! That's a bummer! I've had mozy for some time now and it has behaved perfectly backing up my whole computer and external with no problems! The initial back up took about a week and it has backed up the new stuff every night since.

It really gave me piece of mind when our house was recently broken in to, they didn't take the desk top or my external, but what if they had? It's so nice to know that all my important data is backed up off site.

Just be sure to look at the restore files Mozy really has backed up Launa (go in as if you were going to do an online restore to find that information). When my ehd crashed, I wasn't worried because my Mozy backup window told me everything was backed up! My Mozy message confirmed that I had everything backed up and that was NOT the case. Even now, it pops up and tells me that I have 98+ GB backed up, but really it only has 8-9 GB of my files backed up. Just a word of warning!!!!

I had issues with Mozy too and finally decided to cancel and get my money back which they were good about. I was taking with someone at Apple and he said, why don't you just get two EHD's if you're worried about 1 failing because the chances of both failing at the same time are slim to none. That is what I ended up doing because I was so tired of messing with Mozy that I was just fed up. I may still look into Carbonite when they are compatible for me but for now, I just save everything to two EHD's and then I also back everything up on DVD's and keep them in a fire proof safe. It seems like a lot more work but in comparison to the time I was spending with Mozy customer service and messing with the continual error messages, it is my better option for now.

Carbonite would be great in an instance like a break in though so I hope they'll be compatible for me soon.

I hope you'll find a solution that really works for you because I know it can be so frustrating.

Just be sure to look at the restore files Mozy really has backed up Launa (go in as if you were going to do an online restore to find that information). When my ehd crashed, I wasn't worried because my Mozy backup window told me everything was backed up! My Mozy message confirmed that I had everything backed up and that was NOT the case. Even now, it pops up and tells me that I have 98+ GB backed up, but really it only has 8-9 GB of my files backed up. Just a word of warning!!!!

Wow, thanks for the tip Kimmy! That would be awful! I just looked things over and it looks like its all there, but I will sure keep my eye on it!

Boy Kim, I can't imagine what I would have done if all of my restores hadn't been there when my computer died! ACK! Luckily, it all was, and everything restored fine. I'm not going to jinx myself, tho, by saying anything more! ACK!!

BTW, I have my first back-up started on my new Mac. It's been scanning for files since last night...hmm...Of course, I have around 130 GB worth to back-up! EEK!

I have been using two EHDs for a while now too. It is time consuming to make sure everything gets on both...but not as time consuming as the time I have spent on emails to Mozy and waiting for solutions. I'm still afraid that they will both crash - one of them did (it was the only one I had at the time) and I lost EVERYTHING! So now, I feel the need to be overly cautious. LOL

I really like Mozy and had very good luck with them for the first couple of months. I'm hoping they can resolve my issue so I can stay with them. If not, I will find another service. Has anyone tried iDrive? They are $4.95/mo like Mozy but, you only have 150GB space. Down the road that won't work. Like others, I am waiting for Carbonite to work with EHDs. :)

Tabitha

Boy Kim, I can't imagine what I would have done if all of my restores hadn't been there when my computer died! ACK! Luckily, it all was, and everything restored fine. I'm not going to jinx myself, tho, by saying anything more! ACK!!

BTW, I have my first back-up started on my new Mac. It's been scanning for files since last night...hmm...Of course, I have around 130 GB worth to back-up! EEK!

Luckily, I was backing up my EHD with a 2nd EHD and I was able to recover almost everything. ( Just missing some random ScrapGirls files, but Angie has been great about getting those to me when I discover them. THANK YOU ANGIE!) But, same as Kerry, I got frustrated with the amount of time I was wasting with customer service and error messages. So...waiting for my mac to arrive (hopefully, tomorrow)! I am really excited about the wireless MAC backup system.

I have been using two EHDs for a while now too. It is time consuming to make sure everything gets on both...but not as time consuming as the time I have spent on emails to Mozy and waiting for solutions. I'm still afraid that they will both crash - one of them did (it was the only one I had at the time) and I lost EVERYTHING! So now, I feel the need to be overly cautious. LOL

I really like Mozy and had very good luck with them for the first couple of months. I'm hoping they can resolve my issue so I can stay with them. If not, I will find another service. Has anyone tried iDrive? They are $4.95/mo like Mozy but, you only have 150GB space. Down the road that won't work. Like others, I am waiting for Carbonite to work with EHDs. :)

Tabitha

I used Idrive for a while, and then it crashed my pc. (I had to reinstall everything!) I now use Mozy but am going to switch once carbonite gets the EHD thing sorted.

Archived