Keeping All Scrapping Supplies On Ehd?

My computer is filled to the brim, to the point where I'm scared to even download my freebies, let alone take advantage of the sale <gasp!>. Since a new computer isn't in the budget right now, it's time to move my digi scrapping supplies to my EHD. I have 2 of them - one a portable one and another desktop one (500 gigs) - which I call the big guy! I'd like to keep all of my supplies on the portable EHD and then back up on the big guy EHD. So, I'd love to hear the sequence that someone that keeps their supplies on an EHD takes so I can figure this whole thing out. Do you download to your desktop, then unzip & tag directly onto the EHD or some other way? Regarding the back up, once I get new stuff (which is the fun part!), how do I know what is new, say on a monthly basis, to add that to the big guy EHD? I should say that I use ACDSee to organize and am on Windows XP. I use Carbonite for back up now - wish they backed up EHD's!

What works for you & your EHD?

I keep all my supplies on a (quickly filling, lol) 4GB USB card so that I can bring it anywhere, then I keep my backups on my EHD. I download the files to my computer and then unzip them there. Then I copy and paste them to both my EHD and USB, so that they're all backed up right then...then I delete the ones right on my computer. I really like doing it this way since I can easily port around my supplies, while still having them backed up on my EHD.

HTH!

I have a 750G EHD and that is where I put all of my scrapbooking collections. My EHD let's you choose a backup plan and once you choose that, it will automatically backup your files each time you add something new to the directories you want backed-up, just like Carbonite does. And it does it all in the background. Then once it has been backed-up, I delete it off of my hard drive. Saves me lots of space on my hard drive and keeps my computer from slowing down. I understand that Carbonite will be backing up EHD's by the end of the year. Now if they would only keep everything on their system even though it has been deleted from your hard drive, that would be awesome.

:dancing_penguin:

I just shifted my zipped files onto a new EHD We have a backup HD and this one for storage plus my small working EHD which doesn't need a separate power supply so is useful for plugging in wherever.

I have 15 Gig of zipped scrapgirls products :0....they must download themselves during the night ;)

One thing i have done, is i back up my zips in both DVDs and my ehd. That way where my sg producst are, my computer hard drive, have more space. I dont keep my zips on my computer hard drive, as in away, thats just doubling the space used ... all the products are there separate and again in zip! lol

Oh, and i do keep another copy of all my sg suplies on my ehd... just in case.

Angela

I download mine to the harddrive then copy them onto my EHD which is rather large. I use Carbonite to back up my hard drive. I keep all my photos on my EHD too, except for my newer ones and they get backed up with Carbonite.

If you use Acdsee and have tagged all your stuff, be sure to move it to your EHD from within Acdsee, or you will have to tag it all again (speaking from experience here!) I have all my SB supplies on an EHD and they back up to Mozy - I will be really glad when Carbonite backs up EHD's

Guest Happy99
One thing i have done, is i back up my zips in both DVDs and my ehd. That way where my sg producst are, my computer hard drive, have more space. I dont keep my zips on my computer hard drive, as in away, thats just doubling the space used ... all the products are there separate and again in zip! lol

Oh, and i do keep another copy of all my sg suplies on my ehd... just in case.

Angela

I really started doing this after Ro's mini class on backups:) Before Ro's class I was copying zips to CD-RW's and it was so expensive that I could only do it now and then - when I found out it could be done on CD-R's, I was soooooooo appreciative of this information and now I do the following:

Download to computer - unzip and organize - I keep this up until I have about 300 to 600 Megabytes

Copy Zips to CD-R

Move organized files to EHD

Move Zips to other EHD

Store CD's upright - as suggested by Ro:)

I know some people just delete zips once copied, but I've read several times that files can degrade when you copy them over and over as you make layouts, which is why I keep a second copy of the Zip on an EHD, otherwise I would just move the zips onto another CD-R, and have to copies of the Zips on CD's.

I realize I need to make a copy of the organized files, but for now......

Hi Mindy! Here's what I do, I work completely off of a 250 GB WD EHD. I download to my laptop into a "Zips" folder. Then, when I have a few and am ready to unzip, I unzip directly to my EHD. Then I use a flash drive to transfer the Zip files to my desktop, where they are backed up on my big 500 GB EHD and then burned to DVD. Hope that helps!

Hi Mindy...I download all my new zip folders directly from the boutique onto my 750GB EHD. I unzip them and organize them on my EHD (I use Windows to organize although I do -have ACDSee downloaded-just never wanted to tag everything). I place my zip files in a folder under the month/year they were downloaded. I, then, back up the zip files monthly to DVD. I also have all my photos on my EHD and do the same...DVD backup. I back up everything on my EHD with Mozy (but I must mention that I have been having an extraordinary amount of difficulty with successful backups lately...I will be switching to Carbonite when they back up EHDs). I also back up everything on my EHD with a second EHD (USB dependent) and I also do a backup on a Maxtor portable EHD (120? GB) that I use for travel. I will eliminate one of these backups when my online backup is successful and reliable. HTH

Edit - probably should mention that I back up everything on my EHD with DVDs (photos, layouts, and zips).

I think we're all pretty similar from what I'm reading. I have ALL of my supplies, photos and completed LOs on a 250gb portable EHD. And then I have everything backed up twice... once on a 250gb desktop EHD, and also on a 750gb EHD. I'm working right now on getting everything onto DVDs as one more layer, which I think is important.

OK, so if I have all of my scrapping supplies on the portable EHD, when you add new things to the portable EHD over time, how do you know what needs to be backed up periodically to the big guy EHD? I generally try to stay fairly caught up with my unzipping & tagging, so do I have to back up to the big guy EHD each time I add something, for instance one or 2 freebies or those brushes that I just HAD to have the other day? :D I'd rather be able to back up on a routine basis (like once/month or whatever) instead of every time I add something.

Also, when you back up to several different EHD's, do you just copy those files to each EHD (through ACDSee in my case) and then once you check them that they are on the EHD, delete off of the laptop? Or is there a different way of doing it that I don't know about? Sorry, feeling blonde today!

When I back up my Scrapbook drive to an EHD, I use a synchronization software ( i use one called WMatch). In order to know what I have already backed up to DVD's, I sort by date in Windows explorer and Date the DVD's so I know where I left off. I also make a list of what I've put on a particular DVD so that I can find it if I need to.

OK, so if I have all of my scrapping supplies on the portable EHD, when you add new things to the portable EHD over time, how do you know what needs to be backed up periodically to the big guy EHD? I generally try to stay fairly caught up with my unzipping & tagging, so do I have to back up to the big guy EHD each time I add something, for instance one or 2 freebies or those brushes that I just HAD to have the other day? :D I'd rather be able to back up on a routine basis (like once/month or whatever) instead of every time I add something.

Also, when you back up to several different EHD's, do you just copy those files to each EHD (through ACDSee in my case) and then once you check them that they are on the EHD, delete off of the laptop? Or is there a different way of doing it that I don't know about? Sorry, feeling blonde today!

Hi Mindy,

This is a really helpful thread. I have two EHD's and I burn everything to DVD now (also thanks to Ro's tips). I have a folder in my Digital Scrapbooking folder on my internal drive that is titled "Need Back-up." When I acquire new supplies, or make new pages, etc. I put them here. After I unpack supplies, get them burned and transferred to my "regular" Digi-Scrap folder, or finish pages (and save them elsewhere), etc. I delete them from this folder. This way I don't have to try to remember which files are backed-up, and which aren't. Any files in my "Need Back-up" folder need backed up.

HTH!

Jennifer

Thanks everyone for all of your helpful suggestions. Sounds like everyone does their back ups fairly similiar. Think I'm going to try copying everything to the portable EHD, then copy to the desktop EHD, make sure both of those work, and then the scary part - delete it from my laptop. Yes, I have all of my zips backed up on CD & the files will still be on Carbonite for awhile, but the thought of losing all of that organization fills me with terror!!! I'd have to take off of work for a month to redo everything (hmmm... the taking off of work for a month part sounds appealing - think reorganizing my scrapping supplies would be considered a family emergency???? ;) ).

Archived