Rotating Linked Layers

Guest siraacsa

Guest siraacsa

I am currently trialling PSPX2. I am an old PSE5 user and thus having trouble translating some of the more simpler functions.

I have just realised that to move two linked layers together I need to use the "move" tool instead of the "pick" tool. Now that I can move two linked layers, I am finding that I cannot rotate them with the "move" tool. Is this right? How can I move and rotate linked layers together?

TIA,

Rachael

Hi Rachael:

I'm a PSP 9 user, so I don't know if this has changed or not, but there are two tools for moving and rotating. I always use the deform tool to rotate items. Maybe someone else can tell you if there is another way to do it.

Hope that helps (a bit).

Guest siraacsa

Hi Julie, thanks for your response. The deform tool is now called the "pick" tool and it still allows you to rotate an object.

The problem I am having is trying to rotate an object with its linked drop shadow (which is on another layer). I am finding that with the "pick" tool (even if the layers are linked) only the layer selected is moved/rotated. Whereas, if I use the "move" tool which does move both linked layers together, I can't rotate them as one.

Rach

Hi Rachael:

Here is where my "newness" to the program is going to show. What is the reason for applying the drop shadow to a separate layer? I've always just added the drop shadow to the layer I was working on. I have so much to learn, and I'm on an older version. :D

Well, if I know these ladies, someone will come along with an answer for you. You won't have long to wait. I'll be watching this thread to learn, too.

Welcome back Rachael! If you have merged 2 layers using the merge down function and want to rotate them together thats pretty easy to do. Go to (I'm using pspxi) Image, Free Rotate, and untick the two boxes at the bottom that say all images and rotate single layer. With both of those unticked, then you will be able to move your layers whichever direction you want in whichever pixels. Does that make sense? I use it all the time...and its much easier than the move tool :)

Rachael, I've been waiting to see what the answer to this is, because I've been wondering the same thing with my own layouts - and sometimes I've just left things as they are rather than trying to .

Vaughnde, if I understand your response correctly, I think the issue is that the two layers are not yet merged. So, while they're linked, they can be moved together with the Move tool, but they can't be rotated together.

Is the answer that, once you are happy with the shadow, they need to be merged before they can be rotated?

Guest siraacsa
Hi Rachael:

Here is where my "newness" to the program is going to show. What is the reason for applying the drop shadow to a separate layer? I've always just added the drop shadow to the layer I was working on. I have so much to learn, and I'm on an older version. :D

Putting the shadow on its own layer is something that PSE doesn't do, so I was quite intrigued by the fact that PSP does. There have been times when I have wanted to erase part of a shadow and haven't been able to in PSE. Having it on its own layer allows you to do this.

So, I have just used the object and its shadow layer as an example. Another instance might be if I wanted to rotate a photo, its frame and an embellishment (all on separate but linked layers) together. So merging isn't always a viable option.

Rachael, I've been waiting to see what the answer to this is, because I've been wondering the same thing with my own layouts - and sometimes I've just left things as they are rather than trying to .

Vaughnde, if I understand your response correctly, I think the issue is that the two layers are not yet merged. So, while they're linked, they can be moved together with the Move tool, but they can't be rotated together.

Is the answer that, once you are happy with the shadow, they need to be merged before they can be rotated?

For me personally yes although I don't always put the shadow on its own layer and merge down is better when you want to only merge two layers and when you do this make sure the layer above the shadow is selected and the shadow layer is just underneath. Otherwise a merge visible is good for say like a psd file with several layers that you have added elements and suchlike to and want to transfer them all to your main document, so I would temporarily merge visible all then copy and paste into the main document that my layout is on. But then I would go back to the copied psd file (I always make a copy of the original psd files for working purposes!) and undo the last action which was to merge visible and save it with all the layers as separate layers in a pspimage. That way if I ever go back to that particular thing and want to swap out say like a photo or a paper and still use the same thing, then I can because the layers were not permanently merged. Make sense?

For me to move something even to rotate it if I have a shadow layer on its own layer then yes I would merge down to be able to rotate. Otherwise, I'd rotate each layer like embellishments, corners, etc the same amount as the photo I rotate. Say I want to rotate the photo to the left 15 pixels and so I do with the free rotate and then do the same with each element that goes on top of that photo individually because sometimes you might want to swap out that element later on down the road and its much easier to delete that element if its on its own layer. Does that make sense?

Ok lets make this easy! LOL

1. Shadow on it's own layer? There are many reasons to put a shadow on it's own layer, you can delete it, change it, erase part of it, use a blending mode on it, change the color, change opacity, etc. I ALWAYS put a shadow on it's own layer.

2. Rotating multiple layers? YES! Here is the key...create a new layer group and place in it all the "pieces" of the group including drop shadows. Activate the Group (the top layer) in the layers palette. Layers>Free rotate Check Rotate single layer and unCheck rotate all layers. Put in the degree of rotation and click OK.

Guest siraacsa
Ok lets make this easy! LOL

2. Rotating multiple layers? YES! Here is the key...create a new layer group and place in it all the "pieces" of the group including drop shadows. Activate the Group (the top layer) in the layers palette. Layers>Free rotate Check Rotate single layer and unCheck rotate all layers. Put in the degree of rotation and click OK.

Thanks Dee. That works, though a little unweildy. It would be so much easier if you could rotate all linked layers like you can one single layer, but each program has its little quirks that I guess you just get used to.

I have actually really been enjoying using PSP and I may even become a convert yet. ;)

Rach

Thanks Vaughnde and Dee!!

Great question, Rachael! I think in the end, once I'm happy with the shadow, I would just merge the two layers and go from there.

I'm not sure if I understand Dee's method, but I will have a fiddle and try it out and let you know if I have problems, Dee!

Archived