? About Photo Storage

Ande43

I have a question about what type of CD to put photos on....I have Memorex CD-RW...What are your thoughts on those?? Now If I were going to use a CD-R...How do you go about that...Do you have to put what you want on it all at the same time....can't go back later and put another file on it for example...right?

I used to work in a Computer Services department and our tech guys would never use Sony - they always crapped out on them. If you use CD-R they are a one-time-only use; if you want to re-use (or write more files later) a CD then you need to purchase a CD-RW. But for your money's worth, perhaps you should be backing up to DVD-RW (if you have a DVD burner on your computer). One note, any CD or DVD only has a certain life span of rewrites.

I add more files to cd-r discs all the time. Files can't be deleted, renamed, or moved. An updated version can be written over the original file though. A couple of files on a cd-rw corrupted on me, and I won't use them anymore. I was able to replace those files thankfully.

If you are storing precious photos, I would only WRITE ONCE on the CD.

And, if at all possible, I would use a DVD, they are more reliable. and, make more than one copy - store in 2 locations.

Any brand of DVD better than any others???

I used to work in a Computer Services department and our tech guys would never use Sony - they always crapped out on them. If you use CD-R they are a one-time-only use; if you want to re-use (or write more files later) a CD then you need to purchase a CD-RW. But for your money's worth, perhaps you should be backing up to DVD-RW (if you have a DVD burner on your computer). One note, any CD or DVD only has a certain life span of rewrites.

I am not necessarily interested in useing a CD over so to speak...but if I am for example writing files to the CD and stop for the day can I come back and put 3 more files on that CD...or do I have to put everything I can fit on that CD when I am doing it....all at once...not sure if I am explaining my question the right way LOL. I know with the RW CD's I can come back to it if I have another file in the same catagory and add it.

You can add files to the cd more than once. It probably depends on the settings on your program, but when I use Nero, I just make sure I pick "multi-session disk", and then I can go back and add more as I go along.

Archived