What Is A Psd 'set'

Jster025

I have found a psd file for the frame in KVE_BellaFiore_Emb1b which shows up as one layer with an icon that says ‘indicates a Set’ and has a funny-looking X at the far right. The left (back) part of the X looks like a ‘\’ while the right (top) part is some kind of thick, patterned stroke almost like a short, fat pen.

Usually, when I’ve found both individual png files and a psd file, the psd comes up showing it’s layers so that you can use it instead of using the individual png’s.

What is this file and how does it work? Help didn’t get me anywhere but a bunch of “how to ‘set’ this and thats” and something about the Photo Browser.

I’m using PSE6.

Thanks.

J

OK. Here's what I found out...

In PSCS, you are able to save multiple layers in "Groups". Basically, it will put all your layers into a folder in your Layers Palette, and allow you to open or close your Group folder to edit those layers.

PSE does not support groups. It calls them "sets" instead, and you can simplify the set to edit that layer, but it will not give you back your original layer structure; it will only give you one layer.

Basically, if you have PSE, you should not attempt to use the PSD file for the frame. You should use the separate PNG files included and create your own layered frame, for now.

I'll let Kerry know about this issue, and we'll see what we can do to make things more user-friendly for you great PSE users! :)

OK. Here's what I found out...

PSE does not support groups. It calls them "sets" instead, and you can simplify the set to edit that layer, but it will not give you back your original layer structure; it will only give you one layer.

Basically, if you have PSE, you should not attempt to use the PSD file for the frame. You should use the separate PNG files included and create your own layered frame, for now.

I'll let Kerry know about this issue, and we'll see what we can do to make things more user-friendly for you great PSE users! :)

Thanks so much, Heidi. You explained it perfectly! Hate that it won't work in PSE. Those psd files are so much easier to use than the png's. Everytime I see one available, I give a big horrah!

Do I need to alert anyone else about this, or are you going to bring it to the attention of the whole development team?

Too bad the SG's can't write the Help Files . . . They are SO poor!

Again, many thanks,

J

J, I already let the heads of our development team know. :)

I agree, it's so hard to find what you need in those help files sometimes. Even for those of us who have been around for a while!

The PSD files are much easier to work with, I agree. But, you can create your own with the PNGs. Simply use your Shift key, and drag the blueish "clip shape" onto your shadow layer, and then Shift+Drag your frame on top of the shadow/blue layer. Use a "Save As" and save that new file as a PSD. Then you'll have your PSD file!

HTH! (Hope this helps!)

The PSD files are much easier to work with, I agree. But, you can create your own with the PNGs. Simply use your Shift key, and drag the blueish "clip shape" onto your shadow layer, and then Shift+Drag your frame on top of the shadow/blue layer. Use a "Save As" and save that new file as a PSD. Then you'll have your PSD file!

Another thanks, Heidi. Having a duh! moment . . .

J

Archived