Acdsee And Certain Files

mimes1

Hi Everyone,

ACDSee seems to not like certain files. I have realized that the program wants to shut down when I try to either load or tag Brandy Hackman or Valerie Randall's files. Luckily, explorer bails me out and I can drag and drop just fine into PSE with that. Has anyone else experienced this, or, is there some sort of file property that is embedded in the file that causes this? Or maybe it's my 64 bit computer running a 32 bit program.... I don't know, just mostly curious.

Sorry Brandy and V, I love you still! And I'll continue to buy your beautiful creations!

You know, Amy, that happened to me all of the time with Keri's files. In fact, specifically with her Going Postal products. I haven't the faintest idea what's up with that, tho.

Well, I'm glad its not just me....

I just recently purchased ACDSee and have the same problem w/ certain files. It shut down about 5 times when I tried to open the same template. It's the baby book template which I can't think of the designer off the top of my head right now. Glad to know it's not just me. I'm interested to know what you find out about this.

I have had this problem with a lot with different SG files. It seems to be the ones that have multiple folders in one file before iou get to the actual product. When that happens I go into Windows file system and extract from there with ExtractNow and move the files into place from there. Once I get rid of all the extra folders and go back to ACD it works fine.

I have had this problem with a lot with different SG files. It seems to be the ones that have multiple folders in one file before iou get to the actual product. When that happens I go into Windows file system and extract from there with ExtractNow and move the files into place from there. Once I get rid of all the extra folders and go back to ACD it works fine.

Yeah, I've noticed that too - I always use extract now and not ACDSee to extract. (learning curve problems lol!) So, for those folders that are "deep", I pull up to the highest level. I'll have to go back and see if that takes care of it for ACDSee or not.

Thanks for the tip. Also, for some of those deep files, my EHD won't back them up because the path is too long.

I'm glad to hear stuff like this. I was considering switching from PSE Organizer, but now I think I'll stick with it. I really haven't had a problem like that. Sometimes it misses that I've added new stuff, but it's not difficult to add them manually.

ACDSee doesn't like long filenames...not just the name of the file though...it's the entire path from the drive letter (such as C:\) The maximum seems to be 255 characters. Try un-nesting some folders if this keeps happening.

Now another known issue is European characters...usually scandanavian ones. I'm not familiar with the designers mentioned so I don't know if that's a possibility or not but if there are non-English characters in some filenames try changing the names in windows explorer.

Those are the two 'fixes' I'm aware of but I'll keep hunting if that's not the problem here.

Kristi

I've had this problem as well. Can't really say which files it was because I had so many in the same folder but ACDSee wasn't happy about something in there. I'm wondering if this was also the problem with my PSE4 organiser.

I've had this problem as well. Can't really say which files it was because I had so many in the same folder but ACDSee wasn't happy about something in there. I'm wondering if this was also the problem with my PSE4 organiser.

To me this is just an annoyance. I'm still happier with this than the PSE4 organizer if for no other reason than I can move my database between the desktop and the laptop.

Archived