Going To The Apple Store Today

ScrappingForever

So, DH and I have an appointment at the Apple store in just under an hour. I expect we'll leave having bought two Macbook Pros. We are way beyond frustrated with these laptops, and after researching and reading for the past day, have decided to take the plunge and make the change.

We're very excited. Anyone have any last minute words of wisdom for us before we head out? ;)

Thanks! :)

Please let me know how you make out ! I have heard that the preference of graphic artists is the MAC, but I haven't found the real reason why its so much better ! I have never ever used a MAC and know nothing about it, but DH thinks I should get one ! Don''t ask me why, but I think he wants my Laptop !!! Which is okay with me, but I want to know all about your decision and the why's behind it !!!

So, I will be waiting to hear when you get back !! Hopefully I haven't asked too much of you and If I have, please let me know !!! Good Luck and have fun !!!!

Guest kshabowski

Jan, I am so excited for you. I took the plunge from PC to MAC two weeks ago and I absolutely love my iMac! I am currently working on organizing my Digi-Scrap supplies. Wait until you see what the Cover Flow view can do for your organizing efforts. I am able to use a thumbnail of each kit as the icon for the kit's folder and then I can just scroll through my folders to see thumbnails of all my kits. It's amazing!

Will you be running Windows on you Mac? I was fed up enough with windows that I decided go totally Mac. Adobe allows you to do a free cross-platform switch as long as they haven't upgraded the version. I had PSE5, but since the current version for Mac is PSE6, all I had to do was upgrade from 5 to 6.

Have fun and let us know how you made out with your shopping trip!

Kathy

Oh Jan how exciting.

I got the mac book pro laptop back in April and it is just wonderful.

I did have a few hassels in the beginning and our apple shop here was rather disappointing but the computer itself is really really neat.

I got PSCS3 as well so the learning curve was quite steep.

All the very best with your visit to the apple shop and looking forward to hearing what you think.

All righty then! We are a wad of change poorer and two Macbook Pros richer! :D

I left mine there to get upgraded to 4 GB of memory. I will also be taking my old laptop in to them later this evening to have them transfer everything over to the Macbook. That service comes with the ProCare package that we got. We also got a Time Capsule for backup and iWorks. I got the NAPP membership discount as well.

We spent 3 hours down there all together. The rep who talked to us was very thorough, knew the answers to most of our questions, and if he didn't, he searched and talked to others to find out the answer. We were very impressed with the machine and the service.

Mary Jo, the main reason we decided to make the switch is because we're totally fed up with Windows. I'm tired of having to fight at every turn just to get my machine to do the most basic things. So, it was time for a change. We only wish we had done it before we got these last crappy HP laptops.

Kathy, what are using to organize your stuff? The rep showed me iPhoto, but I just don't know that that's going to do the trick. I have sooooo much stuff, photos and digi scraps, that I can't imagine using something that isn't quick and easy to tag.

I'm afraid I will have to go through Bootcamp to open Windows for at least a couple of programs that aren't Mac compatible. Hopefully that won't be too painful. But we want to stay native for as many things as possible.

I have PS CS3. I'm hoping they will do the switch to the Mac version for free. I sent Customer Service an email. What did you have to do to make the switch besides upgrade?

I'll be taking my old laptop down this evening and have everything transferred, which will take 48 hours. So I won't get to play with it just yet. And I'm sure I'm going to have all kinds of basic questions for you all when I do get it back. But I'm very excited to get it and start playing!

Oh, Wow! You are making me think I just might take the plunge too...been agonizing over windows vs mac for the last several months. The only MAC store near us is an hour away. I didn't realize they would transfer everything over for you. I'll wait to see how you do, Jan! Congratulations on your two new Mac babies!!!!

Guest kshabowski

Congratulations! You are going to really love these machines!

I put all my photos in iPhoto and I am just using the finder application for my digi-scrap stuff. I didn't want to clog up iPhoto with all my supplies. The tagging in Finder is as simple is hitting two keys: Command + I and typing in your tags in the comments section. Then, when you want to find something, just lick on the search box in a Finder window and type in your tags. It pulls them right up for you.

Also, another pleasant surprise for me was that there is no unzipping files that you have downloaded. They automatically unzip and then you just file them away, ready to use.

When I upgraded PSE, I had to reinstall all my actions and styles, but it was easy to do. The path to the correct file is much simpler. Since you have CS3 and all you want to do is switch platforms, they should do it for free. My argument with their customer service guy was that it wasn't MY fault they didn't release a PSE 5 for Mac, so why should I have to pay to upgrade? He said that that was just the way it works.

Needless to say, I downloaded the free trial and I will be paying for the upgrade soon. They getcha coming or going, don't they?

I have three books that I got at Borders that have been really helpful to me as a new Mac user. Not sure if it's okay to post titles and authors, so if you're interested, just pm me and I'll give you the information.

My husband and I decided to do our own file transfer and it is going just fine. I have been going through a couple of directories a day, cleaning them up and then transferring them. I didn't want to transfer stuff I didn't need. I know so much more now about organizing than I did when I got my PC machine, so I feel like I am doing a better job this time.

That's just my two cents worth. We should keep in touch with each other as we are learning the Mac ways. Maybe we can help each other out and save us each some time.

Kathy

A few months ago I purchased an iMac.

I switched my CS3 to a Mac format for free- they asked me to sign a letter stating that I would destroy the Pc version

which I faxed to them and then they sent me the Mac version. No hassles it was nicely taken care of.

Have fun. I love my Mac my only problem is that my old PC has pretty much died so I don't have a laptop anymore.

Don't know what to do about the convention I had really been looking forward to going but without a laptop I don't

no if I'll be able to.

Enjoy your new computers.

YAY!!!!! Welcome to the happy computer user side of life. :D I'm here for ya if you need help with anything. If I don't have the answer, my DH tries really hard to help me help my friends. :D

Now I need a new one, too. ;)

~Zaz

Wow, Jan, I'm so jealous! :D Can't wait to see it at the convention and see how much you're loving it!

I have all of my stuff organized by folders on my desktop, and use Bridge to access it all. It really is easy to use. I like Kathy's suggestion about using tags, too, as that comes in handy when you're searching for specific genres of products.

Congrats, I just know you're going to love it!! :D

Yeah Jan! I am a long time Mac user although I have used PC for work. I just love my Mac and have always gotten great service from Apple. Just recently I needed a new power cord- mine worked sometimes and sporadically at others. I just called AppleCare and they took care of it. Also, with AppleCare ( and your ProCare) you can call an Apple rep and get them to help you do just about anything that you might need to do. Hope you love your MacBook Pro as much as I love my Macs! Congrats on your new baby!

Welcome to the new world of Mac. I'm so glad I switched last year. I love the ease of it (though there is some brain training needed to take out all the extra steps we know to make things work in Windows!). I, like Laurel, use Bridge for my stuff. It's tag-able, but I haven't gone there yet. I like that I can use the Find function (under the Edit menu in Bridge) and search for collections or all the embellishments from a collection. I've begun creating/saving "collections" of things I use often. It's really smooth and I've had NO interface problems with PSE at all. It's also got drag and drop organizing ability...gotta LOVE that. get ready to do a lot of dragging and dropping on your Mac. You can kiss ctrl+c & ctrl+v goodbye!

Glad you got what you were looking for. Have fun.

Debbie

Wow this is going to be the thread to watch!!!

Thanks Jan for getting a new mac, I'm sure a lot of us will learn things as questions are asked.

I hope everything on the change over goes really smoothly for you.

Jan,

Welcome to the mac side :) I think you'll like it.

I keep my photos in iPhoto and everything else is viewed in Bridge. I organize by folders. A wonderful feature in bridge... you can view ALL the contents inside folders and subfolders in the viewer window. Do this by clicking on the Filter Palette. Then click on that icon in the upper left corner (folder w/ no symbol). Now see an exploded version of your folders.

Enjoy your macs!

Congratulations, Jan! I think you will love your new MacBook Pro. You will love Leopard and scrapping will be so much fun and blazing fast with all that memory. I recommend getting a book to help you learn what Leopard has to offer. I use Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, by Robin Williams.

You will love iCal. You can add all your appointments and set reminders for a pop up window and a sound. That has saved me a few times when I was scrapping and oblivious of the time!

The search feature is great for finding things you have misplaced on your hard drive. Smart mailboxes, search in mail, etc. - all great. And adding fonts is shockingly easy. Leopard knows exactly what to do with those fonts you download. Installing software is really easy too.

Have fun and let us know you are doing!

Karen

And I've already found something I need to change! LOL

I have two email accounts that I use interchangeably. In Windows, the mail comes into one Inbox.

I create a bunch of folders and write rules to funnel off my mail to the different folders. So I have a folder from Scrap Girls, and a rule that says should any of my dear Scrap Girls peeps send me an email (staff/designers/ etc.) send that email to that folder. I have separate folders for all of my teachers, and rules set up for all of their emails to go into their folders, so they're all nice and neat and separated. I have a separate folder for those who sign up for classes, so all that is separate and easy to find.

On the Mac, I have to have two mailboxes for each of those accounts. I don't like that. And I can't find an option to create other folders to house everyone's emails. I found where I can write rules, but how can I write a rule for a non-existent mailbox? I know about Smart Mailboxes, but that's not really what I want to do.

So, if I'm making sense to any of you knowledgeable Mac folks out there, please come to my rescue! If I'm not making sense, I'll try harder! LOL

TIA! :)

Archived