Who Can Print 12x12's Professionally?

Guest scrapbookMama

Guest scrapbookMama
Hello,
I am new to Digital Scrapping and am presently learning all that I can before I actually start. I really like the 12x12 layout myself (as we usually have way too many pictures of an event for just an 8.5x11 size) but do not have a computer to print this size out on. My dilemma is whether to buy a printer at that size or are there businesses that can print out 12x12's for me? I noticed that Scrap Girls Design Team Member design butcher (Ann Hetzel Gunkel) gets hers done at Costco which would seem the answer to my prayers but I checked their website and didn't find anything on that size or cost. :banghead: Also, when getting your pages printed at a business do you burn the layout onto a cd and bring to the printer place?

Sooo many questions and decisions to make!!!!

Thanks, Tammy

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think www.scrapbookpictures.com prints that exact size, but you pay more for that.

Almost any online photo processing company you find will print a 12x18" sheet - you can upload one document that size with a 12x12 AND 2 6x6" pages layed out. So, you have to cut it down yourself, but a large paper trimmer isn't that expensive.

Lots of converted paper scrappers who want the square work in 8x8 so they still have the square shape, but can print at home (or have a more standard size (8x10) for online prints).

HTH!

• 1 month later...
I've seen some businesses advertising that they'll print a 12 x 12 for $1.25-2.50 a piece. Anyone tried this/them? I've never printed a layout but I gotta admit, it might be worth the $2 just to see what they look like. Anyone used any of these?
Lori
[url="http://sbtoshare.com/Digital_v1.htm"]http://sbtoshare.com/Digital_v1.htm[/url]
[url="http://shinynickels.com/printyour.htm"]http://shinynickels.com/printyour.htm[/url]
[url="http://www.ploppinmemories.com/PrintingService.htm"]http://www.ploppinmemories.com/PrintingService.htm[/url]
[url="http://www.photobookmemories.com/order.html"]http://www.photobookmemories.com/order.html[/url]

Welcome to ScrapGirls Tammy, so glad you've decided to join us here at ScrapGirls. As far as having layouts printed, I usually print my own at 8x8 or get dh's work to print them for me at 12 x 12 since they have a wide format printer and I don't, ;). I recently also discovered that by calling around to some of the local print shops here where I live, that they also will print 12x12 for a fee of course, but it would save the shipping and handling cost anyhow. I would try calling around to some of the local print shops in your area and seeing what they might charge for printing out 12x12 layouts. Worth a shot anyhow, ;).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest photobookmemories
I will print you a sample layout for free, just pay $2.50 for shipping. Send me 2 layouts and I'll send you a double sided print!

Melissa Piccone
Photo Book Memories

Guest Cropnpix
Tammy, I print mine at Costco. They charge $2.99 which is not bad considering what I would otherwise pay for patterned paper and embellishments and the processing for the pictures I would put on a paper scrapbook page. I burn my layouts (.jpg format) to a CD and take them to Costco. They can print them on 12 x 12 that way. If I were to send them by e-mail, like someone said, I'd have to put my
12 x 12 on a 12 x 18 and then fill the bottom 6 inches with something. For some reason, you can't just e-mail a 12 x 12 to them. I tried that and they ended up printing it on a 12 x 18 and it was all distorted. If this doesn't help, just ask us again! :)

Guest scrappin_twin_mommy
I get mine printed at whcc.com. That's white house custom color. I've been really pleased with their work. Their shipping is free and you get your prints back within a few days. A glossy is $3.60 and a metallic finish is $4.30.

HTH

I tried SBtoShare's offer for a freebie and was quite impressed. I emailed them one layout and they mailed it back to me, flat in a box, on three different papers so I could decide which I liked better...and it was totally free.

I thought the quality was fine on all three, but I've never had any printed before so I really don't have comparison basis.

I then decided to have some others printed so all I did was zip them up and send them. It's only $1.25 US per 12 x 12 page! They sent me a paypal bill and shipping added about 50 cents to each so it was still less than $2 a page. I got a note saying they were shipped yesterday so I should get them soon.
Lori

Guest Cropnpix
This is interesting, Lori. Will you report back when you get them on this same thread and let us know if they're as good as your sample? I would also be interested to know what your shipping ended up costing. Their website says it can be between $5 - $10. Thanks for the info.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='moopadaisy' date='Apr 5 2006, 08:53 AM']oh yes Lori do post about it! I was curious about shipping for that site as well!
[right][post="39272"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Ok, here's the results...I've used SBtoShare.com twice plus that original freebie they sent. The first time I got 10 layouts done on glossy paper and second time I sent another 10 and had them do it on cardstock. I zipped them up, uploaded them to YouSendIt and they send a paypal bill within a day. Both times I recieved the lo's back, flat in a box, wrapped in plastic (good for when boxes are left in front of your door on rainy days), one sided, within a week (I am in the same state as them so mail time might be less for me). Each time I was charged $5.00 US for shipping. and $1.46 for tax. I think only those in the same state have to pay tax though, not sure. So my total bill for 10 layouts, shipping and tax was $23.96.

I love them all. On one of the cardstock ones there is a streak of some sort that runs for about two inches but it wasn't big or bad enough for me to even complain about and actually looks like a grunge effect or gradient. In fact, at first I thought I had done that myself when making it, lol.

So I'm a happy camper so far.
Lori

• 4 weeks later...
Guest amydawn
Thank you all for posting this information - and the follow up!
I've been trying to figure out where to have my LOs printed and gave up because it was going to cost a small fortune!

The only reasonable solution I had come up with was making a bound book through my publisher. They tell you the exact dimensions to make your LO if you want to utilize the full bleed and not have a white edge around your photos.

Thanks again!
Amy

• 4 weeks later...
Well, I think I’m going to try SBtoShare.com as well, since it seems to be the favorite. I like that they will ship internationally (not sure how much it will cost, but nothing I can do about it anyway). And I must confess I know nothing about different paper types, so seeing the 3 different ones would be good.

Are you all who still use SBtoShare.com happy with them? Are there any others you would give a good review to? They have to be on-line places, as I live in Japan. (I’ve gone to local photo shops here and they want US$30 to print one 12x12…I don’t think so)

Guest koley
I have my layouts printed straight to hardbound books by Heritage Makers. I'm a consultant so I may be biased but my books are all beautiful, glossy paper, library stitched with full cover glossy fronts (like a coffee table book). I have my books printed at the maximum number of layouts usually, up to 72 and they're about $2 a page that way and that's the whole book, no page protectors or binder (and it's 1/2 inch thick!). Like I said I'm biased but you may want to check it out, fast, cheap and easy!

[quote name='koley' post='45172' date='Jun 7 2006, 12:44 PM']I have my layouts printed straight to hardbound books by Heritage Makers.[/quote]

Our the pages thick so they wont tear since there are not any page protectors? When you say 72 LOs is that 36 pages? I tryed to look at the webpage, but I couldn't get very far.

Guest koley
[quote name='iwillfly525' post='46342' date='Jun 14 2006, 04:39 AM'][quote name='koley' post='45172' date='Jun 7 2006, 12:44 PM']
I have my layouts printed straight to hardbound books by Heritage Makers.[/quote]

Our the pages thick so they wont tear since there are not any page protectors? When you say 72 LOs is that 36 pages? I tryed to look at the webpage, but I couldn't get very far.
[/quote]

[b]It's just like in a regular scrapbook - left page is one, right page is two. The pages are glossy acid free paper, like a coffee table book. If you email me I can help you more and show you some of the previews of the books![/b]

[quote name='iwillfly525' post='46342' date='Jun 14 2006, 04:39 AM'][quote name='koley' post='45172' date='Jun 7 2006, 12:44 PM']
I have my layouts printed straight to hardbound books by Heritage Makers.[/quote]

[/quote]

[b]It's just like in a regular scrapbook - left page is one, right page is two. The pages are glossy acid free paper, like a coffee table book. If you email me I can help you more and show you some of the previews of the books![/b]

• 4 weeks later...
Guest storybookmom
I use Heritage Makers as well. Biased too since I am a consultant. You can do a test drive at www.designyourheritage.com. The books are phenominal. Let me know if you have questions.

Carrie

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
I have a wide format printer and I do occasionally print 12x12, but more often I print them at 8x8, especially ones with only one or two photos on the page.

Guest Teresa P
I use whcc.com too, they are who I use for my photography stuff so it is nice and easy to add the 12x12s on the order. :)

I am having to remember that I will use my digital elements over unlike a lot of my paper and that the cost to print the 12x12 then becomes reasonable. :)

Guest nc64west
I bought myself a birthday present last year of a Wide Format Epson Sylus Photo 1280. It took some research to get the color settings just right to print awesome L/O's on regular 12 x 12, white scrapbook paper. (I'll share if anyone needs this info). No expensive photo paper needed! I love it. I'm on my 2nd b&w cartridge (wedding invitations x 100!) and still using my 1st color cartridge. I chose the Epson because the cartridges were the least expensive to replace...also archival. I don't print every l/o, but those I want in a book. The total cost on Buy.com was $350.00. Their cartridge prices are great too. I am happy with my investment. Best birthday present, next to my video iPod!

I too have an Epson 1280. I would certainly be interested if you would be willing to share with me how you got your colors to set properly. I also sometimes have a problem getting my pages to print borderless. So info, insight you can give me would be truly appreciated! TIA

• 4 weeks later...
Here's another website to checkout....especially for those OUTSIDE the U.S. as this place is in Australia.

[url="http://www.myreflections.com.au/Contact.aspx"]http://www.myreflections.com.au/Contact.aspx[/url]

[b]To iwillfly525[/b] - I think shipping from Australia to Japan will be a little less than from US to Japan. THey are quoting $25AUD to ship internationally. AUD is about 3/4 of USD just to do a quick currency conversion.

The site will only show 12x12 printing in an album - 40 or 60 pages (that's 20 or 30 pages doublesided). This is printed on 170gsm thick paper (that's like good coffee table book thickness). Very nice quality paper from the one album I've printed. I also asked about loose leaf printing to put into top loading album as I was concerned about my boys getting overly enthusiastic and ripping a page from the bound album. So the owner (Suzanne) is doing a batch for me, even though this service is not yet listed on the website. She's charging under $2 per page (for 20+ prints) and will print on 300gsm paper (thicker) and single-sided (easy to move pages around). Again that's Aussie $ so about $1.50USD.

Suzanne says you can just email her to inquire about the loose leaf printing on 12x12 since it's not on the site.

My Reflections is a small family-owned business that I found just last month (just when I was about to mail a CD to the States to print 12x12's there) and their response time and customer service level is just through the roof. I got my album back 8 days after mailing out...and that includes 2 days in the mail to get my CD there and 2 days in the mail for the album to come back. I've just ordered another 4 albums as gifts (discounts for multiple albums).

For those in the US, if you want to print multiple 12x12 albums as gifts, even with shipping, this may be a cheaper option as the shipping cost doesn't go up per book unless it goes past a certain weight limit. I'm getting my 4 albums shipped for the same price as one album.

Also....they print in 300dpi. Some others only in 200dpi.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest snowdrop
You can get them printed at RitzCamera stores. You can either upload your pictures from home, or at the store. They print 12x12, and other sizes like 8x8, 6x6, and typical photo sizes.

[url="http://www.ritzcamera.com/"]http://www.ritzcamera.com/[/url]

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kaycee0501
Hi Melbourne! I tried that website, but it doesn't list 12x12 as an option... only 20cm x 20cm (which is 8x8).

I have been searching for AGES for somewhere to get 12x12 layouts printed and would love them bound in a book.

I was actually about to post a new topic about this - glad I found this first!

• 1 month later...
I have used www.sbtoshare.com several times and have been very happy with their work. Sometimes I send them up to 35 scrapbook pages (12 x 12) to print and they arrive to me within a week. I think that their prices are reasonable and the quality of their printing is very good. I was so happy to have found them!! I recommend their services!!

I use Polka Dot Potato. They print 12x12 and 8x8, and it's full-size, not bleeding over the edges (missing edges) or leaving white borders, and I don't have to resize my layouts beforehand.

Ashley's great. I LOVE how their prints turn out!

Archived