Who Can Print 12x12's Professionally?

Guest scrapbookMama

I need some advice on printing at Costco. Do you prefer glossy or lustre finish for a 12x12 (12x18 cut down) page?

Is the entire 12x12 image printed, or do they leave some graphics off of the edges?

What is the actual size of the print? Is it REALLY 12x12 (12x18)? (From other places, I've received 4x6 and 5x7 prints that weren't "full sized")

What brand paper do they use?

I'm just getting into digiscrapping, and want to know these things so I can plan for my layout to match the print to match the album.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
WOW! THank you Melbourne. I print out in 12x12 myself no problem but I want a coffee table book of my daughter's wedding and this will be perfect. I've added the URL to my favourites.

[quote name='scrapbookMama' post='31025' date='Jan 12 2006, 08:06 PM']Hello,
I am new to Digital Scrapping and am presently learning all that I can before I actually start. I really like the 12x12 layout myself (as we usually have way too many pictures of an event for just an 8.5x11 size) but do not have a computer to print this size out on. My dilemma is whether to buy a printer at that size or are there businesses that can print out 12x12's for me? I noticed that Scrap Girls Design Team Member design butcher (Ann Hetzel Gunkel) gets hers done at Costco which would seem the answer to my prayers but I checked their website and didn't find anything on that size or cost. :banghead: Also, when getting your pages printed at a business do you burn the layout onto a cd and bring to the printer place?

Sooo many questions and decisions to make!!!!

Thanks, Tammy[/quote]

I have an Epson Stylus Photo R2400 and it is very expensive to use. I print my 12X12's out at Costo on a 12X36 enlargement which holds three pages. Use Photoshop to create a blank 12X36 canvas, then copy and paste your three pages. Flatten image so you can get a JPEG. Make a CD with what you want to print out. The 12X36 costs $4.99, so each page is $1.67. The color is excellent (be sure and calibrate your monitor for best results) and they use Fuji paper which is the best. Not all Costco stores do the 12X36's so call and find out. The newer stores have the machine. That is why the 12X36 isn't on their website. You have to take a CD into the store. Be sure and tell them NOT to roll the enlargement up and fasten with a rubber band. I have become best friends with the ladies that work at Costco in the photo department and am SO grateful to the young woman that told me about the 12X36 enlargement. I hope that helps you and all you other scrapgirls! I'm just new at this website but have been digital scrapbooking since Sept 06. A week ago my daughter started digital scrapbooking and she has surpassed my expertise by a long ways! Her addiction was complete in less than 24 hours after she started. Now I get a couple of scrapbook pages a day from her via the internet. Good luck! Maude

• 2 weeks later...
has anyone tried Arcguvers pages to go? if so let me know what you think about them

[url="http://www.archiversonline.com/pps/pagestogo.asp"]http://www.archiversonline.com/pps/pagestogo.asp[/url]

thanks
Adele

• 1 month later...
I want to add my vote for Sbtoshare.com. I have had about 100 layouts printed with them now and I have LOVED each and every one. I just get the Matte finish it's thinner paper than cardstock but since I am putting them in an album it doesn't really bother me.

I highly recommend putting them in a folder until you have a fair amount saved up and then send them all at once. This will just save you on shipping. Shipping times have been very fast. They are in Florida and I am in Michigan and I can get mine within a weeks time. Very friendly customer service as well.

I have no connection to this company what so ever, just know a great deal when I find it! I will keep an eye out on this thread to see what others come up with! Off to check out Polkadotpotato's services.

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='hoppy' post='161778' date='Jun 15 2007, 08:11 PM'][quote name='nc64west' post='67197' date='Oct 22 2006, 09:40 AM']I bought myself a birthday present last year of a Wide Format Epson Sylus Photo 1280. It took some research to get the color settings just right to print awesome L/O's on regular 12 x 12, white scrapbook paper. (I'll share if anyone needs this info). No expensive photo paper needed! I love it. I'm on my 2nd b&w cartridge (wedding invitations x 100!) and still using my 1st color cartridge. I chose the Epson because the cartridges were the least expensive to replace...also archival. I don't print every l/o, but those I want in a book. The total cost on Buy.com was $350.00. Their cartridge prices are great too. I am happy with my investment. Best birthday present, next to my video iPod![/quote]
[/quote]

[quote name='nc64west' post='67197' date='Oct 22 2006, 09:40 AM']I bought myself a birthday present last year of a Wide Format Epson Sylus Photo 1280. It took some research to get the color settings just right to print awesome L/O's on regular 12 x 12, white scrapbook paper. (I'll share if anyone needs this info). No expensive photo paper needed! I love it. I'm on my 2nd b&w cartridge (wedding invitations x 100!) and still using my 1st color cartridge. I chose the Epson because the cartridges were the least expensive to replace...also archival. I don't print every l/o, but those I want in a book. The total cost on Buy.com was $350.00. Their cartridge prices are great too. I am happy with my investment. Best birthday present, next to my video iPod![/quote]

I also have an Epson 1280 but haven't had much luck at getting a good color and found that the 12x12 paper is too expensive.. I'm new to digital scrapbooking and have a lot to learn. I'd love to have any information you could give me from your experience. Thank you so much, Hoppy

• 1 month later...
I used SBTS for a long time. At first I decided I didn't want the thinner glossy paper that Mike suggested and opted for the glossy cardstock. Now that I'm albums into this, I can see the page protectors and two pages per protector would have given me the stiffness, and the albums would have been half as thick as they are now...and I could have gotten more pages into one album. Their pages are beautiful. I ended up buying an Epson 1800 printer and now print my own...but I can't say it's cheaper than SBTS. I'm happy with the end product, and ecstatic that I can make a page and print it on the spot. I do notice now that I pay attention to how much color I'm putting on a page whereas I used to just "fill 'er up" and let SBTS print away not having to worry about the cost of ink! Great company to deal with. Great prices. Great product.
TStephens

[quote name='PerfectPixels' post='128534' date='Apr 3 2007, 09:04 AM']Do you have to be a member to use Costco's photo printing services?[/quote]

Yes, you do have to have a Costco membership to print with them. They check your number online when you place the order, and also ask for your card when you pay for your prints.

Guest K Scrappy
I printed an 8x8 at shutterfly and I still look at in awe at how wonderful it turned out. I haven't done Heritage Makers so I have no comparison. The thing that drew me to Shutterfly is that you can also create your own front and back covers as well as the spline. The whole book is your own when you're done.

[quote name='melbourne' post='73225' date='Nov 18 2006, 10:08 AM']Here's another website to checkout....especially for those OUTSIDE the U.S. as this place is in Australia.

[url="http://www.myreflections.com.au/Contact.aspx"]http://www.myreflections.com.au/Contact.aspx[/url]

[b]To iwillfly525[/b] - I think shipping from Australia to Japan will be a little less than from US to Japan. THey are quoting $25AUD to ship internationally. AUD is about 3/4 of USD just to do a quick currency conversion.

The site will only show 12x12 printing in an album - 40 or 60 pages (that's 20 or 30 pages doublesided). This is printed on 170gsm thick paper (that's like good coffee table book thickness). Very nice quality paper from the one album I've printed. I also asked about loose leaf printing to put into top loading album as I was concerned about my boys getting overly enthusiastic and ripping a page from the bound album. So the owner (Suzanne) is doing a batch for me, even though this service is not yet listed on the website. She's charging under $2 per page (for 20+ prints) and will print on 300gsm paper (thicker) and single-sided (easy to move pages around). Again that's Aussie $ so about $1.50USD.

Suzanne says you can just email her to inquire about the loose leaf printing on 12x12 since it's not on the site.

My Reflections is a small family-owned business that I found just last month (just when I was about to mail a CD to the States to print 12x12's there) and their response time and customer service level is just through the roof. I got my album back 8 days after mailing out...and that includes 2 days in the mail to get my CD there and 2 days in the mail for the album to come back. I've just ordered another 4 albums as gifts (discounts for multiple albums).

For those in the US, if you want to print multiple 12x12 albums as gifts, even with shipping, this may be a cheaper option as the shipping cost doesn't go up per book unless it goes past a certain weight limit. I'm getting my 4 albums shipped for the same price as one album.

Also....they print in 300dpi. Some others only in 200dpi.[/quote]

Thank you thank you thank you. I have just looked at their website and this is definately an option for us Aussies. Thank you so much for sharing this website.

Karen

Hello, I'm new here as well. I'm looking into getting my layouts printed from sbtoshare. I am putting them into an album that has the page protectors. Do I want the glossy paper if I'm putting them in the protectors? Thanks in advance for the help! :)

You know, I would think that it wouldn't matter so much, especially since you're putting them behind the page protectors, that will make them semi-glossy anyways. I think it would be more personal preference, but for me, I like to go with the matte finish. HTH! :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I also buy from Scrapbooks to Share. Living in Germany doesn't give us many options and she will ship to all military overseas addresses. Her quality is GREAT!!!! It cost me $100 to get 65 12x12 pages printed up and shipped. They ship fast and come in great condition. But I saw a lot of options to possibly try when i return to the states, but for now I am sticking with her. She also will scan your paper pages and save them to a disc. I am planning on trying this when I can FedEx her my paper based albums. Hope this helps and thanks for all the great info.

I just got some last week from

[url="http://www.scrapbookflair.com/"]http://www.scrapbookflair.com/[/url]

There is a link on their page to the printing. It is a bit confusing at first to navigate, but I finally figured it out. It is easy to upload the 12x12 Layouts.

They are having a sale on some of their page types until Oct 31.

I did the cheaper glossy and the cheaper matt for now (both acid free), and will try the more expensive ones during the sale to see if the quality is any better, but I am happy with the cheaper prints. They advertise their higher quality to be 200 year archival.

I have done an online book before which was nice, but I have grandchildren who look through them and I am not as happy with it because it is not as sturdy as I would like for a grandchildren book. There may be other printing places who will do a high quality book if that is what you want to do.

Scrapbook Flair's prints don't come with a border which is good. I did resize my LO to about 11.25 and pasted them on a 12x12 background because sometimes printers seem to cut off the edges when they print. Also I wanted an edge just in case I needed to trim for the page protectors. (I didn't need to trim them for one album, but will have to trim just slightly for my Creative Memories albums, so I am glad I gave the bit of a border that matched my LO).

Scrapbook Flair sent me some 5x7 prints showing the 4 different types of paper that they use.

I have not had anything printed from any other place, so I have no idea if this is the best place or not. I did a google search for them and am really happy with the prints.

There was a sale so it will be a bit more, but I got 10 prints (12x12) including the shipping for $22.

I am glad you posted the question. Now I have other places to check out!

Sandyscouter in Utah

The quality of printed books is a very important consideration. For our 12 by 12 books we take special care in building a lifetime keepsake. First the custom printed covers are carefully laminated to make for easy cleaning and long lasting color.

Next the pages are printed on a high quality 100lb coated paper that is sturdy and long lasting.

Lastly - and most importantly - most companies use glue to hold the pages in the book. For books with limited usage this works fine - but for heavy usage the pages can come loose and fall out.
We "SEW" the entire book together! This securely binds the cover and pages as a single unit. Pages can't fall out, in fact the only way to get them out is to tear them. This makes a book last a lifetime.

David Lewis
www.photoalbum.com

Hi Tammy and welcome. I have used sbtoshare.com several times and I am always pleased with my pages. I have ordered 12x12 and 8x8's from them. I found it less expensive to order the 8x8's from them than printing on my own printer. I am wanting to try shutterbug binded books but find their site confusing. Has any one tried them before?

Archived