Changing Colours In Layered Templates

SydneyScrapper

I'm working with layered templates and really trying to get the hang of colour changing. I'm being lazy - the new layered templates come with a PSD which I convert to a PSP image and work with the layers in the single file, instead of building it from scratch, layer by layer.

I've looked at the instructions, the tutorials and I re-read some old posts - and figured out the problem with black, that you have to change the lightness before it will take colour in versions X1 plus (I use X2). Phew, okay, that's helpful to know!

But the next problem is anytime you choose a colour for the other layers, it combines it with the underlying grey colour, which gives it a different hue again.

Is there a way around this - to get the layer back to being more or less "hue-less" so that it will take the colour or pattern exactly as you select it, without combining it with the grey underneath? I hope this makes sense!

TIA

What templates are you using? Sometimes I just give up and take the shape and add a white paper or other paper background on top of that layer, then select the layer underneath that paper layer and go to: select> select all, float, defloat, and click on the paper layer then invert and delete. What that does is it shapes the upper paper layer to the under layer and then I can merge down to merge it on top of that layer then I can change the white paper layer to any color and even add in any kind of texture I want. Does that help?

Thanks Vaughnde,

I absolutely love layered templates and from what you've written I gather it's not me doing the wrong thing, but it's an existing issue. I've found if I fill it with white, the next colour I add gets blended with the white - red becomes pink, etc.

Sounds to me like what you're doing is the equivalent of a PS clipping mask, am I correct? I've always wondered how to do that. I'm using Sarah Batdorf's My Hero layered templates which are gorgeous.

I'll have a go at doing it your way to get the shape back to a "neutral" hue and let you know how it works for me.

Thanks V!

Archived