Removing Duplicate Files

JenniferZ

I just got a super laptop that's loaded with Vista. I transferred all my files from my Maxtor EHD to my laptop and now it seems that there are duplicate files. My new laptop has 320 G of hard disc space, and it says I only have a little over 150G free, which is insane. My desktop has 200 G and that has almost 100 G of free space. (I don't have any files on my laptop that aren't on my desktop.)

It seems that I have two files of everything on the laptop. Sometimes I'll go in to My Pictures and the files I want won't be there, but if I enter through my user name and then get to My Pictures via My Documents, it's there. I am afraid to delete things in case I get rid of important stuff. Does Vista have a duplicate file finder, or is there a way that this task can be automated?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Oh, and I am on a PC, not a Mac.

Hi Jennifer, I don't know if I can be of any help to you ,but I will try. Let me ask you a couple of questions, Did you transfer your files from your old computer to your new computer?

I keep all my digi, photos , and LO's on my EHD and not on my Hard drive, that way it gives me a ton of free space for my programs on my laptop. But, I do have backups of everything on DVD's.

You may be getting double if you did transfer over your Photoshop or Elements. Bridge keeps a record of all your photos and such. I stopped using Bridge because it took up too much space on my laptop.

I highly doubt that this will help you any, but there will be others to come along who can help you better.

I would check your hard drive to see what's there, and if I can give you a piece of advice, you really only need your stuff on your EHD, it will work just like a drive on your computer. I just plug it in when ever I open my laptop up. HTH

I use my EHD to back-up my desktop and I transferred whatever was on the EHD to my laptop. I thought about just using the EHD and not my laptop drive, but I do take the laptop places and as it has a 17" monitor, I don't really want to drag around an EHD and cable, too. I got a huge hard drive on purpose, so I could do that and use my EHDs (and DVDs) for back-up only.

I did transfer Photoshop over, but I never opened Bridge, or used it to my knowledge. Does Bridge load stuff automatically?

Hmmm...thanks for this advice, Mary Jo.

I don't think Bridge actually keeps copies of the files. I just cleaned up files on my EHD. I just went through and checked them, deleting duplicates. My EHD was full, but now I have 86G free. You should be fine with your files on your laptop, but as your supplies grow, you may want to get a little (size) large (capacity) USB powered EHD. Those won't take up much space at all in your laptop bag. (Exactly what I asked DH for, we'll see if I get it for an anniversary present this Saturday) ;)

I have the same size monitor on my laptop and with the 500mb EHD with a heavy duty usb cord, its like April said, it really doesn't take up alot of space, the only draw back is the electric supply. The only time I couldn't use it was on the plane last year.

But, like April said, check your EHD and see if there are duplicates on it!

OK, I have ACDSee and it has a find duplicates tool. I'll try it and I guess I'll have to break down and go through it all manually just to make sure I don't get rid of something inadvertently (sp?).

April & Mary Jo -- I am having trouble finding a decent carry bag for my laptop due to its 17" screen. (There are TONS of cool options for 15" monitors...GRRR...) Any recommendations?

I am making a quilted one for my new laptop, like you I couldn't find anything that was big enough or nice enough or even in my budget! All the really nice ones were all leather and more than I wanted to spend !

Archived