Clipping A Paper To A Word Art Brush

txtrisha

I am trying to create an effect similar to the one described in the August 14th newsletter. For the "Pride and Joy Word Art Biggie" (baby on a calico background), there are instructions for filling the word "One" with a background paper. I can't seem to get it right. When I use the magic wand tool to select the inner portions of the letters, part of the "n" is not always selected. I am using a shift/click with the magic wand. Also, after I do the Edit/Fill Selection with 50% gray, more than just the letters turn gray, even though I am on the "One" layer. Could someone also explain "clip another paper from the collection"? What is the process for this? Sorry, I feel very inadequate right now.

No worries! We'll get it figured out Trisha!

If part of the letter is not getting selected, you can use your selection brush to select it- be sure you are adding to selection. You can use your selection brush in subtraction mode if your magic wand "over" selects... does that make sense?

To "clip" a paper (in PSE), you place your paper above the layer you want to cover. Then you go to Layer>Group with previous or use Control+g.

• 2 months later...

He Shanz! Welcome to Scrap Girls!

These instructions are written for PSE - if you are using something else, let us know. :D

The easiest way is to first, create a new layer on your layout. Stamp your brush on that layer (color doesn't matter).

Second, move the paper that you want to cover the word art with on to your layout.

Move the paper so that it is the layer directly above the word art layer in the layers palette. You shouldn't be able to see the word art at this point.

With the paper layer active in the layers palette, press CTRL+G. if you look over at the layers palette, you will see a small arrow pointing down from the paper layer to the word art layer. That means the paper layer is "Clipped" to the word art layer.

The word art should be covered by the paper. If you are happy with the results, you can merge the paper and word art layers together. If you don't like how it looks, make the paper layer active. You can move the paper around so that different portions show up on the word art, resize the paper to make the pattern smaller on the word art, etc.

Clear as mud?

Archived